JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
I'm not excited to sell this one, but I'm trying to fund a different rifle for my stepson to use this year since he isn't completely confident with the iron sights on this. If it doesn't sell, I'll happily keep it since I love to play with it, but I don't really have a use for it since I don't live on a farm anymore (it was the perfect light utility rifle on the farm).

This is a 1948 Stevens Model 325 with a Williams "Fool Proof" adjustable rear peep-sight and a Williams "Fire-sight" fiber-optic front sight. It is a well-balanced carbine (I think it's about a 20" barrel), and the stock has been carefully cut down for smaller (youth) shooters (approx. 12.5 or 12.75" LOP).

This is the same as a Savage 340, which was manufactured until about the mid 1980's if I recall correctly. The one difference is that this rifle was manufactured the year before they started drilling them for scope mounts. I prefer the Peep sight for appearance and quick target acquisition, and they are ideal for a 30-30, so I never looked into the cost of drilling this for a scope (the scopes on the 340's were an odd side-mount contraption that never appealed to me anyway).

The rifle is in good condition for its age, and it comes with 2 factory box magazines. I purchased it from another member a couple of years ago for $175, and I spent $125 on the Williams sights. Since I don't really want to sell this one, I won't go below my break-even price of $300.

IMG-20151013-01586.jpg

IMG-20151013-01588.jpg

Well, I guess I'd consider anything, but I'm really just trying to make a hole in my safe to justify buying a new Ruger American Compact. Off the top of my head, I would consider a Stoeger semi-auto 12ga., a 44mag or bigger revolver, a cool lever gun, or another stainless bolt-action, or just the right rifle in .243 or 7mm-08, but it would have to be a sweet trade for me to stray from my plan. You're welcome to start a private conversation if you have a trade idea that you think might blow up my skirt; worst I can say is "no".

Well, I guess I'd consider anything, but I'm really just trying to make a hole in my safe to justify buying a new Ruger American Compact. Off the top of my head, I would consider a Stoeger semi-auto 12ga., a 44mag or bigger revolver, a cool lever gun, or another stainless bolt-action, or just the right rifle in .243 or 7mm-08, but it would have to be a sweet trade for me to stray from my plan. You're welcome to start a private conversation if you have a trade idea that you think might blow up my skirt; worst I can say is "no".
Ruger American 7mm/08 great gun

Ruger American 7mm/08 great gun
Yep, that's the one I'm getting. I'm looking at the stainless compact. While I am justifying it by letting the boy use it this year, it's really for me! I bought a nice silver scope for it and a Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock; I think it will make a nice "mountain rifle". I just need to make a hole in the safe to justify buying the rifle itself.

I know I'm bringing this ad back from the dead (3 years old), but I have only shot this once in the past 3 years, so it's time to make some room in the safe. Offers? I'd really like to trade it for a quality spotting scope.

This is a fun, nostalgic old rifle; I just have too many more modern rifles that I take hunting instead.

I know I'm bringing this ad back from the dead (3 years old), but I have only shot this once in the past 3 years, so it's time to make some room in the safe. Offers? I'd really like to trade it for a quality spotting scope.

This is a fun, nostalgic old rifle; I just have too many more modern rifles that I take hunting instead.
Oops, I bought a spotting scope. Handgun trades?

FWIW, I bought my son the American compact, not expecting much. Let me tell you, for the price point, it shoots every bit as well as my Tikkas. I just bought a full size stock that was someone's take off for $20, so he will have a full size rifle next year. GLWS

FWIW, I bought my son the American compact, not expecting much. Let me tell you, for the price point, it shoots every bit as well as my Tikkas. I just bought a full size stock that was someone's take off for $20, so he will have a full size rifle next year. GLWS
Funny story, I bought an American youth stainless model that shoots great. The kid had a huge growth spurt the next year, so we got him a full-sized 30-06, and the Ruger went into the safe until I found an adult stock for it cheap. Now I use it as my lightweight deer gun and love it! I wish it was a .308 instead of a 7mm-08, but it does pretty well with the cheap Hornady 139gr American Whitetail rounds.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.