JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I rode to Tillamook and back today - HWY 6. Coming back I saw an event, the likes of which I have not seen in years - nea, decades.

A truck pulled over in the slow moving vehicle turn out and STOPPED !

Let us all by (about a dozen or so)

For those of you not familiar with Oregon
This was a slow vehicle turnout - not a passing lane. Typically you see them used like passing lanes. But they are not.
Passing lane, you know, where you were going 45, now suddenly floor it to do 75 to F* with everyone behind you.
And OR has a law which states if there are 5 vehicles behind you and you come to such a turnout, you must use it to let them (all) pass.

Rare.

I deal with this on the heavy end. Puling out with 97,000, if there is a car in sight I wait. Even then It's a cr@p shoot. All clear, slow down, commit to the turn and here comes a car. Absolute joy . Or swing wide with the cab for the trailer to stay in lane. I grew up riding cycles, driving heavy trucks is scarier.

The passing lanes part is where the lead car finally realizes he has actual control over his right hoof and floors it. every. freaking. time

My experience especially heading over the mountain just before warm springs is there will be a long queue of cars behind a truck, and when it moves over to the slow lane, the lead car will only accelerate to slightly above the posted limit which is slightly more than the truck in the slow lane and everyone packs up waiting to get by before the lane merges back to one. Not all the time, but enough to be memorable. Lots of clueless drivers in Oregon.

Last Edited:
Yes. You must always pass the truck at any cost no matter how fast the truck is going. And if you can't you should tailgate angrily. That'll teach 'em.

I'll admit I've passed a car passing a car in a passing lane because they weren't getting the FOOTW fast enough.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top