JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
during such transportation the
firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being
transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's
compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
container other than the glove compartment or console.

here ya go, tell me what you have learned, so tell me it wasn't loaded, NOT!

:bsflag:

Nice empty cite there bro, type it up yourself? Where's the statute number? USC or ORS? Looks more like a quote from FOPA, which has no bearing on the topic or myself considering I have both WA and OR CCW's and was traveling exclusively in those two states, and there is no reference to commercial vehicles in there either.

wow you really think i would take the time to think that out to out smart you? IR A SMART TRUK DRIVR.

hows about Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

you are the only truk drivr on the road packin. whe are impressed. the story really impressed us all

must be a sysco drivr

wow you really think i would take the time to think that out to out smart you? IR A SMART TRUK DRIVR.

hows about Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

And you still fall short on providing a cite of a legal document.

18USC(yes, it's kinda helpful to include which title of USC you are looking at) 926a was added by FOPA(Firearms Owners Protection Act), it is the "safe passage" clause, intended to protect people traveling through restrictive states. Unfortunately, it doesn't work out so well - see New York as a prime example. It says if it is legal where you leave, and legal where you arrive, it can be transported under the given description.

There is not a single statement anywhere in there PROHIBITING ANYTHING.

So, tell me... Do YOU have a CCW permit? Your location is listed as PDX, do you ever drive across the river into Vancouver? Do you pull over before crossing the bridge and empty your gun and lock it away before crossing the bridge?

And for the record, I know quite a few truckers who pack.

But who cares, until you provide a proper cite of a relevant law that says such activity is prohibited under either state or federal law, you're still just trolling. And calling people liars without any evidence to support your argument is not a good idea.

I know for a fact, that my cousin who is a commercial truck driver in Southland, California, he shot an intruder in his truck while sleeping on the grapevine. The CHP and LA sheriffs, did not press charges on him for having a firearm in his truck.
The truck is his home away from home and his resident sometimes.

He's been carrying and has a license for California, Oregon and Washington, Utah, and Arizona. Yes it's overkill, but he enjoys it.
He's sad that he had to shoot the guy, who was a known felon and gangbanger, but it had to happen.

I rolled over a semi truck a couple years ago

doesn't pass the stink test. FIREARMS ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED IN COMMERCIAL VEHICLES!!!

redheadedstepchild-Copy.jpg

Thanks for the invaluable advice to "RTFM".

I can only assume you are referring to RCW 9.41.050 (1)(b)- requiring display of permit upon demand.

You go on to refer to rights and requirements during an investigation. I also understand my rights provided by the 1,4 and 5th ammendments.

Perhaps you could be so helpful as to highlight the applicable section that clarifies the distinction between an LEO'S "inquiry"about a weapon and the requirement to produce a CPL upon demand. Since its all so clear in the manual- share your knowledge and educate the forum....Just a page number will be fine.

Anyone with an actually helpful response regarding my original inquiry, Thanks in advance.

Look, I wasn't trying to cause an upset with you. My apologies if that post came across overly brusque. And while I quoted your post, my statement about "...RTFM and these types of questions will be answered..." was referring to several comments in this thread.

Honestly, I don't think many people know their rights as protected by the 1st, 4th & 5th like you do. Most people believe if an LEO asks them a question, they are bound to answer it. Yet there's not only no such law(s) stating that, there is our constitution -- which protects these rights.

I guess what I was mainly trying to point out was there's a difference between opinion and law/constitution. I've not seen or heard of any law where I'm required to talk to an LEO when being questioned. There is a clause (which you quoted), where I must display my CCW permit on demand -- but there isn't any statute about talking to anyone, answering questions when asked, etc.. The only official thing I can really refer anyone to would be the constitution. Other than that it's opinion.

I don't think I've encountered a situation where I was questioned for something that had no probable cause. Like, if I was speeding or blew through a light, the cop might ask if I've been drinking or something like that. But if I got pulled over for expired tabs (which has happened) I would be blown away if I was questioned about firearms. And that's probably because it not something that "fits" what I'm being pulled over for, so why would the office add that in to his investigation?

I've also never been asked if I have illegal drugs in my car, am carrying stolen goods, have sold alcohol to minors or any number of things that wouldn't be applicable to the infraction I'm being investigated for. Their questioning always seems to pertain to the situation at hand. But if it wasn't, there is no statute I'm aware of that dictates what you are required to say/do in response. The only document I know of is our constitution.

Anyway, no hard feelings?

If you are being asked any direct questions by a LEO answer them with the fewest words possible. Meaning if you can answer their question with a "Yes or a No" then that is all you give then.

Most people ramble on offering up way to much info and they tell on themselves which gets them in trouble. The LEO rely's on people offering to much info. People get nervous or feel guilty and they ramble on and on. It makes the LEO's job easy and they don't have to work to hard. But if you answer their question with the fewest words possible now they have work to establish probable cause. Sometimes you can answer their question without saying a word. If they ask for for license or permit just hand it to them.

No problem Richard, I'm not looking to make stink.:cool:

I think most of use are on the same page about being calm, acting respectful and not giving more information than necessary. We then go home with a ticket or hopefully only a warning. Most days that's the end of the story.

The point of my question related to the best way of threading the needle when asked a "quasi direct" question during the course of a routine stop. I fully understand "know your rights" by not volunteering any unnecessary info during an investigation. But, that meets a grey area in the real world when LE asks a semi direct question in which there is no reason to evade but no legal obligation to answer.....and that's not in the manual.

So again, the question by LEO is: "are there any weapons I need to know about?".
- I can conduct myself like a rational adult. I'm carrying concealed. I'm properly licensed. I can produce CPL on demand. My vehicle information is likely to be in order and I don't expect my weapon to suddenly start misbehaving.

Is my weapon one that LE "needs to know about"....

Best

So again, the question by LEO is: "are there any weapons I need to know about?".
- I can conduct myself like a rational adult. I'm carrying concealed. I'm properly licensed. I can produce CPL on demand. My vehicle information is likely to be in order and I don't expect my weapon to suddenly start misbehaving.
"Need" is an ambiguous term. Your opinion of his needs and his opinion of his needs are different.
So, since it is an ambiguous term, the answer is no. You do not need to know about any weapons. So.
The correct answer is no.
Now had he asked the question, "Are there any weapons you think I would want to know about?" Then the answer would be yes, because that is a precise question.

Answer the question asked, not your interpretation of it. A lot of people get in trouble that way.

1) Never had a problem.
2) I was knocked unconscious, and by the time I came around my person had already been rifled.
3) Leave the gun in the trunk or locked tool box.

To distract the authorities from thinking about guns jump out screaming "I didn't know there was dope in the car!!"

For military bases you can ask the Provost Marshall's Officer, Master At Arms, or Military Police office ahead of time. I know if you LIVE on base you are required to check your personal weapons in at the armory. You can't carry concealed on a military base so, unload and leave it with the chamber empty and locked to the rear sitting on the passenger seat. Then take it to the armory.

If you live on base you can keep personal weapons in your family quarters. If you live in the BEA or BOQ,bachlors quarters, you do have to keep your weapons in the armory. Both are required to be registered with the Provost.
You can not carry on any military installation, thanks to Clinton and the weaklings in congress.
i can not address how to transport your weapon to the armory nut i will check one it tomorrow.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top