JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On #1 I have never seen the point of bringing a gun into a situation that does not involve one. Do you tell the clerk at the store you have a gun? How about the waiter/waitress at the restaurant? Why not? It has NOTHING to do with your gun and neither does being pulled over for non gun related incident.

Of course if they ask I will tell or it the gun will become an issue. Say I am strong side carry and have to get to my wallet, I will let the LEO know and do as he asks. Usually it is as simple as "please don't reach in that area while I am here".

1. Traffic stop - you get pulled over by the police for a simple traffic violation

2. Vehicle Accident or You get injured - you are loaded up in a ambulance or you are taken to the hospital unexpectedly.

3. Family member calls you from a Port of Entry, Airport, US Border etc and their scheduled ride didn't work out and now you are it.

Numbers 1 and 3 aren't emergencies, and everyone knows how to deal with them.

Number 2, well, there is nothing you can do. It's unexpected, you're probably out of it in some way, or incapable of "securing" your firearm. Even in MA they didn't jam people up for that, so I think it's a non-issue. It will probably be taken from you and run by the PD. As long as you don't act like a flaming fruitball, you'll get it back quick. Longer for fruitiness.

For military bases you can ask the Provost Marshall's Officer, Master At Arms, or Military Police office ahead of time. I know if you LIVE on base you are required to check your personal weapons in at the armory. You can't carry concealed on a military base so, unload and leave it with the chamber empty and locked to the rear sitting on the passenger seat. Then take it to the armory.

The only concern would be is making sure the weapon is a) secured and b) returned to my possession. I was just curious what others on this forum have experienced and/or had planned for such an occurrence. I know what I think I should do and I wanted to see what others have done or will do.

I did not know about the lock box as you pointed out for the Gov't type facilities.

My experience was that a paramedic (or EMT, not sure which) secured it in the ambulance. I didn't want to mention it with everyone watching, so I didn't say anything until we were inside the ambulance with the doors closed. He was very calm but his coworker seemed a little uncomfortable. The holster that I was using that day was easy to remove, so I had him take the whole thing. He called for a security person when we got to the ER and turned it over to him. I'm not sure, as I could not see from my angle, but I think he unloaded the pistol before he handed it over. Not cool. I picked it up at security on my way out after I was released. Security was very nice, quite professional. The guy who handed me the gun seemed to agree with me that it should not have been fiddled with: "I don't mess with other peoples' guns." So my takeaway is that if you're able, let someone know as discreetly as possible. Most emergency personnel have to deal with this sort of thing from time to time, so I just try to make things easy for them where I can.

I just have to chime in on the notification thing in your first question. I don't notify where not legally required. It's irrelevant unless it's a MWAG call or something similar. I'm sure Officer Friendly will ask if it's on his mind - they are generally not shy. I only remember once being pulled over while packing. I was in a jurisdiction that automatically looks up the DL of the owner of the license plate, along with any carry permit/license you may have. The officer must have known but never asked anything about it. Not exactly a scientific study, but technically I can say that my method has worked for me so far. I would bet that in most cases it doesn't make much difference which way you choose. I default to "not anybody's business", so I don't say anything.

As follow up to Q#1.

In general, I agree with concealed means concealed and there is no reason to notify in most cases during a routine traffic stop.

In a more nuanced situation, what if the LEO asks the question " do you have any weapons I need to know about" or "is there anything in the vehicle I should be aware of"?

Does anyone still support the thought process that a secured and concealed firearm still need not be disclosed?

I tend to think each person must read each situation on a case by case basis, and am inclined to think that its in ones best interests to be forthright with LE. But, is there a legal duty to notify based upon a somewhat vague/leading/open question?

Thoughts...

Washington State.
I got pulled over in December. When the highway patrol officer approached my vehicle the first words out of his mouth were, "Are you armed today, Mr. XXXXX?"
My answer was yes and his next question was where was the weapon located. Told him, he asked my to leave it there and show him my CPL and DL.

End of story (except I got the ticket).

Ed

As follow up to Q#1.

In general, I agree with concealed means concealed and there is no reason to notify in most cases during a routine traffic stop.

In a more nuanced situation, what if the LEO asks the question " do you have any weapons I need to know about" or "is there anything in the vehicle I should be aware of"?

Does anyone still support the thought process that a secured and concealed firearm still need not be disclosed?

I tend to think each person must read each situation on a case by case basis, and am inclined to think that its in ones best interests to be forthright with LE. But, is there a legal duty to notify based upon a somewhat vague/leading/open question?

Thoughts...

Are you a CCW holder? If you read the materials that came with the permit you'll know the answer to that question.

This isn't an opinion issue. It's the law. I have no requirement to divulge anything if/when stopped (unless asked about carrying). I don't have to talk to an officer. I don't have to give him any information about what I was doing that day, what my plans are, etc. They are doing an investigation -- that's it and that's all. By all means be cooperative, but the idea that you should originate information is ludicrous...

Anyway, RTFM and these types of questions will be answered...

Thanks for the invaluable advice to "RTFM".

I can only assume you are referring to RCW 9.41.050 (1)(b)- requiring display of permit upon demand.

You go on to refer to rights and requirements during an investigation. I also understand my rights provided by the 1,4 and 5th ammendments.

Perhaps you could be so helpful as to highlight the applicable section that clarifies the distinction between an LEO'S "inquiry"about a weapon and the requirement to produce a CPL upon demand. Since its all so clear in the manual- share your knowledge and educate the forum....Just a page number will be fine.

Anyone with an actually helpful response regarding my original inquiry, Thanks in advance.

Are you a CCW holder? If you read the materials that came with the permit you'll know the answer to that question.

This isn't an opinion issue. It's the law. I have no requirement to divulge anything if/when stopped (unless asked about carrying). I don't have to talk to an officer. I don't have to give him any information about what I was doing that day, what my plans are, etc. They are doing an investigation -- that's it and that's all. By all means be cooperative, but the idea that you should originate information is ludicrous...

Anyway, RTFM and these types of questions will be answered...

Thanks for the invaluable advice to "RTFM".

I can only assume you are referring to RCW 9.41.050 (1)(b)- requiring display of permit upon demand.

You go on to refer to rights and requirements during an investigation. I also understand my rights provided by the 1,4 and 5th ammendments.

Perhaps you could be so helpful as to highlight the applicable section that clarifies the distinction between an LEO'S "inquiry"about a weapon and the requirement to produce a CPL upon demand. Since its all so clear in the manual- share your knowledge and educate the forum....Just a page number will be fine.

Anyone with an actually helpful response regarding my original inquiry, Thanks in advance.
The law isn't very clear on that. However, looking at it with a sense of realism, and assuming you want to AVOID a hassle, you have three options.
First, you can lie, and tell the officer you don't have any weapons. Most of the time, they will just have to accept this, and you'll be on your way soon. However, if they were to find any reason to search your vehicle, the lie may cause you more headaches than it was worth.
Second, you could tell the officer that you're not going to answer the question because you're not legally obligated to do so. This will almost always get you hassled and harassed, and just might get you detained while your car is searched. I like to avoid that sort of thing. I think this answer is the worst of the three, despite being 100% legal.
Third, you can just politely tell the officer the truth. "Yes, I am carrying a legally concealed handgun." You'll want to make sure your hands are easily visible and you aren't acting combative in any conceivable way. Most likely, you'll be treated cautiously, but left alone. Perhaps not.

It's kind of a crapshoot any way you cut it. I generally am very polite and respectful when dealing with the police, not because they deserve politeness or respect, but because it makes my life easier. I also like to stay very informed as to what they legally can and cannot ask or demand of me, regardless of whether I comply with it or not.

What?!?! Wait! You mean it's not clearly defined in the manual?

Being that there is no duty to notify in WA, which is covered NO WHERE in the manual, I agree with the three scenarios as well as the path that will most likely result in a positive encounter.

The law isn't very clear on that. However, looking at it with a sense of realism, and assuming you want to AVOID a hassle, you have three options.
First, you can lie, and tell the officer you don't have any weapons. Most of the time, they will just have to accept this, and you'll be on your way soon. However, if they were to find any reason to search your vehicle, the lie may cause you more headaches than it was worth.
Second, you could tell the officer that you're not going to answer the question because you're not legally obligated to do so. This will almost always get you hassled and harassed, and just might get you detained while your car is searched. I like to avoid that sort of thing. I think this answer is the worst of the three, despite being 100% legal.
Third, you can just politely tell the officer the truth. "Yes, I am carrying a legally concealed handgun." You'll want to make sure your hands are easily visible and you aren't acting combative in any conceivable way. Most likely, you'll be treated cautiously, but left alone. Perhaps not.

It's kind of a crapshoot any way you cut it. I generally am very polite and respectful when dealing with the police, not because they deserve politeness or respect, but because it makes my life easier. I also like to stay very informed as to what they legally can and cannot ask or demand of me, regardless of whether I comply with it or not.

As a full time firefighter I've had several instances of people carrying concealed when they've been in an accident. What I've done is have the PD at the scene secure the pistol and bring it to the ER to return to the patient. They usually have to come up anyway to interview them so it's not even an extra trip. Depending on how it's being carried it can really gets in the way of backboarding the patient!

One instance was a very minor accident but the driver was unconscious & unresponsive due to a medical issue. Took him and his briefcase to the ER. Turns out he was carrying a large sum of money and a pistol in his briefcase. When he regained consciousness in the ER he stated he had the pistol and the staff went ballistic, panicking, and accusing him of bringing a pistol into the ER. I replied that since he was unconscious when he arrived he had NOT brought it in, I had. With his permission I cleared his pistol and then Security secured it and his briefcase pending his release. Since he had to go get additional tests he didn't want it sitting in his empty room.

What?!?! Wait! You mean it's not clearly defined in the manual?

Being that there is no duty to notify in WA, which is covered NO WHERE in the manual, I agree with the three scenarios as well as the path that will most likely result in a positive encounter.

I think as a general rule "if in doubt declare you're packing". That seems to be the safest and easiest thing to do when dealing with the police, paramedics and any other authority figure.

The feed back shared here I have found very useful for planning out my own personal SOP. Knowing ahead of time how to deal with an emergency or unexpected event certainly will make my life easier and hopefully yours too. Safety counts!

Thank you!!

Seems like i remember there being lockers at the canadian border if you had forgot to leave something at home like a samurai sword or tommy gun. Guns may be stored in the U.S. near the border at the following locations:
Coast to Coast, 862 Peace Portal Drive, Blaine, Washington.
Coast to Coast (Ace Hardware) Fairway Center, Front Street, Lynden, Washington.
Exxon Station at Exit 275, Blaine, Washington (lockers for which you supply your own lock).
Yeagers Sporting Goods, 3101 Northwest Ave., Bellingham, Washington.
If you're enroute to Canada via Portland, just shoot me a PM on your way north with what you need to drop off and I'll give you my address.

Sharing my personal info in a traffic stop seems a moot point. If red and blue lights are flashing in my mirror, someone with access to Big Brother's computer database is all up in my sh*t already, or will be in the next minute or two.

Next time I get pinched, I'm going to ask the cop if my CHL's show up or not.

Shameless squiriming cooperator? Yes I am! I don't have an extra $260+ lying around to pay for the privilege of spouting off about what I perceive as my "rights."

Now if it comes to an emergency, I'll do my best to assess the threat, minimize exposure of innocents, and GET AWAY. If there is no choice, I'd like to think my training and instincts would afford me with an unfair advantage to win an unavoidable fight.

I rolled over a semi truck a couple years ago

doesn't pass the stink test. FIREARMS ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED IN COMMERCIAL VEHICLES!!!

:bsflag:

I rolled over a semi truck a couple years ago

doesn't pass the stink test. FIREARMS ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED IN COMMERCIAL VEHICLES!!!

:bsflag:

No, they aren't prohibited. Show the statute. I dare you. I double dog dare you. It doesn't exist. State or federal, no such animal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top