JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am just curious how some of you handle personal emergency's when you are carrying concealed. What's your Standard Operating Procedure. Some situations may not allow you to carry your weapon into certain area's but here you are and you are armed. What do you do with your weapon? As of right now I have not encountered an emergency situation and I would like to be prepared for such an event. Emergency's can be many and varied I will give a couple of examples that come to my mind. The below instances have crossed my mind at one time or another and I wonder "What would I do?" Examples 1 & 2 can happen to anyone at anytime, example 3, chances are there will be enough heads up notice to deal with it. Let's hear your thoughts and your examples of emergency situations and how you handled it or would handle it. There is enough collective wisdom on this forum to make for interesting discussion.

1. Traffic stop - you get pulled over by the police for a simple traffic violation

2. Vehicle Accident or You get injured - you are loaded up in a ambulance or you are taken to the hospital unexpectedly.

3. Family member calls you from a Port of Entry, Airport, US Border etc and their scheduled ride didn't work out and now you are it.

2. Vehicle Accident or You get injured - you are loaded up in a ambulance or you are taken to the hospital unexpectedly.

I rolled over a semi truck a couple years ago. Blacked out, woke up hanging from the seatbelt. My gun had come out of the holster and was laying on the ground - didn't notice that at first, but when I had recovered enough to go back to the truck I saw it and put it in my pocket. Cops saw the CCW when they ran my DL, but never said anything(as a side note the OSP Trooper I dealt with was very friendly and professional both at the scene and when he visited me in the hospital to give me a ticket). When I got in the ambulance I told the paramedics the situation and unloaded the gun. It was a non-issue for them. Never told anyone at the hospital and had my dad pick it up until I got out a week later.

Numbers 1 and 3 IMO do not classify as emergencies in any way. Inconveniences certainly, but not emergencies. And as far as I am concerned, are non-issues in this topic. Now for a CBP controlled POE... If you are just driving up to a building to pick someone up, I don't see the issue. I wouldn't get out, or go into the building, as that location would fall under the federal restrictions on carrying a weapon(same as a post office or federal building). It's not like you have to drive across the border or something to pick someone up who needs a ride, and if you are really paranoid tell them to wait at a nearby business. I would have questions for someone who ends up dumped and needing a ride at a POE anyway. The airport isn't even an issue, you can carry a gun in an airport - you just can't go past the security checks. Which you would need a ticket to do anyway. Traffic stops are subject to the jackass quotient of the cop pulling the stop - they will likely know you have a CCW anyway, don't lie to them if asked, but I'm certainly not volunteering anything. It's a traffic stop, they are already in "find something to fine or arrest them for" mode. Don't give them any food.

1. The first has been discussed lots on this site. I know that I've personally been told at least 3 different ways from 3 different LEOs.
In short, I would suggest hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel.
Inform the officer you have your pistol right away. And ask how he/she would like to proceed.
Be polite, and respectful but know your rights and protect them.

2. No idea, hasn't happened to me. If it did, and I was able I would put it into the lock box I keep in my car.
If unable, and conscious I would notify the EMT I was armed and a C&C. So they weren't alarmed.
If unconscious, who knows. You are unconscious, so at that point all planning goes out the door.

3. Know your rights. Verify advice with your own research.
As far as I know (Not a lawyer check yourself) carrying concealed with a permit is 100% up to the security check-point. So no issue there.
At the US boarder, well again I don't think at the boarder as long as you don't cross it you aren't in danger of break the law.

Concealed is concealed, know your rights and do your own research.

2. No idea, hasn't happened to me. If it did, and I was able I would put it into the lock box I keep in my car.

Keep in mind that things tend to disappear at accident scenes, or when towed, or while at a tow yard/impound lot. Also, where is this lock box kept? In the trunk of a car? Gonna be hard to get to if you are rear-ended and you have no access because the trunk is crushed with another car stuck in it. Sure, plans are great, just don't expect them to work! grenade.gif

For the veterans, active duty, dependence, and anyone else who has access to a military base, how do you go about your day when concealed carrying? A few times a week I have to go into the base to pick up/drop off someone or something, usually takes no longer than 10 minutes. I know about the zero tolerance policy they have on weapons, but is there a law that is similar to dropping off or picking up your child in school?

:s0155:
I rolled over a semi truck a couple years ago. Blacked out, woke up hanging from the seatbelt. My gun had come out of the holster and was laying on the ground - didn't notice that at first, but when I had recovered enough to go back to the truck I saw it and put it in my pocket. Cops saw the CCW when they ran my DL, but never said anything(as a side note the OSP Trooper I dealt with was very friendly and professional both at the scene and when he visited me in the hospital to give me a ticket). When I got in the ambulance I told the paramedics the situation and unloaded the gun. It was a non-issue for them. Never told anyone at the hospital and had my dad pick it up until I got out a week later.

Numbers 1 and 3 IMO do not classify as emergencies in any way. Inconveniences certainly, but not emergencies. And as far as I am concerned, are non-issues in this topic. Now for a CBP controlled POE... If you are just driving up to a building to pick someone up, I don't see the issue. I wouldn't get out, or go into the building, as that location would fall under the federal restrictions on carrying a weapon(same as a post office or federal building). It's not like you have to drive across the border or something to pick someone up who needs a ride, and if you are really paranoid tell them to wait at a nearby business. I would have questions for someone who ends up dumped and needing a ride at a POE anyway. The airport isn't even an issue, you can carry a gun in an airport - you just can't go past the security checks. Which you would need a ticket to do anyway. Traffic stops are subject to the jackass quotient of the cop pulling the stop - they will likely know you have a CCW anyway, don't lie to them if asked, but I'm certainly not volunteering anything. It's a traffic stop, they are already in "find something to fine or arrest them for" mode. Don't give them any food.
:s0155:

My wife and I had this discussion about if I got hurt and needed to go to the hospital. Originally when I brought up the idea of her getting her concealed permit she resisted the idea. When I presented this idea of "What if I was hurt, unconscious, needed to be hospitalized etc" she began to see it differently. She began to see a need for a SOP as a back up plan. Unless we are at work we are always together so it made sense for her to be a part of the SOP.

I have only been stopped once on a traffic stop, if I was stopped while carrying I am confident that I would be compliant and forth coming right up front as the video member kukusya provided (Thank you by the way).

For the veterans, active duty, dependence, and anyone else who has access to a military base, how do you go about your day when concealed carrying? A few times a week I have to go into the base to pick up/drop off someone or something, usually takes no longer than 10 minutes. I know about the zero tolerance policy they have on weapons, but is there a law that is similar to dropping off or picking up your child in school?

For me the military is long done and the kids haven't been to school in 10 or more years. BUT for anyone who does have to deal with accessing military installations and/or picking up/dropping off kids at school what guidelines are followed? Would this be a simple matter of becoming familiar with the individual rules for the establishment you are visiting/conducting business with or would it be more involved and/or prohibited altogether.

It's quite possible a simple phone call to the establishment would answer any questions. Something else comes to mind would be Tribal reservations. I do recall seeing on a NWFA thread a short while ago touching base on Concealed permits on Tribal land. Tribal land is not always clearly posted where it starts/ends.

My take:

1. I've been told by numerous officers\troopers that it doesn't matter. Just don't reach for it. It doesn't exist unless you are asked if it exists. If, by chance, you are told to get out of the vehicle, you might then inform them. But for a simple running of a stop light, speeding, etc. where you are staying in the car, I'd just leave it where it is, and not say a word. Now, if you are panicked and freaking and fumbling about with it when they come to the car, expect the whole situation to go south.

2. Not so worried about accident if I can't deal with it I can't deal with it. If I do in fact come to or am able to share with LE or Medic/Fire, I'd mention it to them. Don't want it left at a scene, etc. But its an accident, its unplanned, and you sort of have to just deal with it as it comes along.

3. You follow the law- airport pickup, just fine. Border crossing or POE like Friday Harbor or whatever- again, fine. Just don't go in the office/buildings armed (Federal facility law) and be super discrete at the airport. Again, not a big deal just be appropriate.

And, don't cross the border and forget you are armed until the nice Canadian official asks and then you remember. Thats lame. I speak from experience.

First, I open carry, and am only concealed when the weather is bad enough for a heavy coat.

Traffic stop? Exactly the same as if I was not armed. In 43 years it has never been a problem. It is when you act like a nervous Nelly that puts officers on alert. Act like you are doing nothing illegal, because you are not. Your Carry is not something you need to hide...it is not a bad thing.

Accident? I do my utmost to not have traffic accidents, but should I be in one, see traffic stop.

Need to go somewhere unusual... I just go. Their are very few places that are off limits. If I need to go to Canada, I just don't carry, military base, I wait at the gate,. Airport is not a problem as long as you do not go past the security area, luggage are is fine...school is not a problem for drop off/pickup in OR, WA, or ID.

I guess I am not sure what your actual concern is with an accident. In WA is it not illegal to have a gun in an ambulance or a hospital so that is NOT an issue at all.

If you are worried about securing it that is usually LEO on scene job. If it is not a situation that involved LEO (say passed out at work) then the hospital security will secure it for you as they would any other valuable item. Especially if it is a non LEO situation and you are able to respond just remind all involved that "remaining in the holster is the SAFEST place for it.

Nice thing about WA is if you are in a Jail, court, ect building that restricts carry they have to provide you with a lock box, http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

Seems like i remember there being lockers at the canadian border if you had forgot to leave something at home like a samurai sword or tommy gun. Guns may be stored in the U.S. near the border at the following locations:
Coast to Coast, 862 Peace Portal Drive, Blaine, Washington.
Coast to Coast (Ace Hardware) Fairway Center, Front Street, Lynden, Washington.
Exxon Station at Exit 275, Blaine, Washington (lockers for which you supply your own lock).
Yeagers Sporting Goods, 3101 Northwest Ave., Bellingham, Washington.

#1...calmly mention to the officer, without reaching anywhere, that you have a chl.

#2 wreck my motorcycle while carrying...lost my xd9 sub compact in the process. State trooper caught me in the ER and asked if I was carrying, said yes, he asked where it was, and I told him it was gone. They looked the stretch of highway I went down on over, and I got it back 2 weeks later.

#3 Generally if you don't enter the 'secured' area for ports of entry you are fine. But I could be wrong?

I guess I am not sure what your actual concern is with an accident. In WA is it not illegal to have a gun in an ambulance or a hospital so that is NOT an issue at all.

If you are worried about securing it that is usually LEO on scene job. If it is not a situation that involved LEO (say passed out at work) then the hospital security will secure it for you as they would any other valuable item. Especially if it is a non LEO situation and you are able to respond just remind all involved that "remaining in the holster is the SAFEST place for it.

Nice thing about WA is if you are in a Jail, court, ect building that restricts carry they have to provide you with a lock box, RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places ? Local laws and ordinances ? Exceptions ? Penalty.

The only concern would be is making sure the weapon is a) secured and b) returned to my possession. I was just curious what others on this forum have experienced and/or had planned for such an occurrence. I know what I think I should do and I wanted to see what others have done or will do.

I did not know about the lock box as you pointed out for the Gov't type facilities.

Seems like i remember there being lockers at the canadian border if you had forgot to leave something at home like a samurai sword or tommy gun. Guns may be stored in the U.S. near the border at the following locations:
Coast to Coast, 862 Peace Portal Drive, Blaine, Washington.
Coast to Coast (Ace Hardware) Fairway Center, Front Street, Lynden, Washington.
Exxon Station at Exit 275, Blaine, Washington (lockers for which you supply your own lock).
Yeagers Sporting Goods, 3101 Northwest Ave., Bellingham, Washington.

This I did not know and I live reasonably close to all of these locations.:s0155:

This I did not know and I live reasonably close to all of these locations.:s0155:

I am a Native Canadian with US citizenship. My family is still in BC, Alberta, Germany and Sweden. Needless to say, I have crossed that border (and others) many many times in the last 65+ years. There is only one rule at the border...DO NOT LIE! If you are armed, tell them, they will just turn you around and tell you where the nearest FFL is that will alow you to store your weapon while you are in Canada.

If you have jumped through all the hoops, have a PAL, and have made arangements to transport your carry into/through Canada, you will be sent inside to have the weapons case sealed, and you will be on your way....but NEVER LIE!!!!

FYI, if you're pulled over by a Washington Co (Oregon) sheriff's officer, they know if the registered owner of the vehicle has a CHL or not.

Pops right up on the screen when they run the plate, as I've seen several times (on ride alongs)

UD

1) I tell them I'm carrying firearms as they walk up to the car.
2) I have a firearm and as of yet it's still legal for me to have one so if If i'm able I'd tell the LEO it's there.
3) Make sure the person your picking up can meet you at the pickup area on the parking lot side of the security checkpoint and then you'd never have to disarm.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top