JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was getting ready to go for a hike just now and was considering my choices for a firearm to bring with me.

Thought it would be fun to gather all of my firearms whose main purpose is for self defense in the woods and take a picture.

Actually, the EP-9 really wasn't bought for that purpose, but more to prove a point that it's not considered an assault rifle, but my grandpa's 1939 Remington Speedmaster .22 short is.

But I guess it could make for a nice handy weapon against cougars and wolves and tweakers.

The AR is a PSA lower with Magpul furniture and an AR Stoner upper in .450 Bushmaster.

Lever gun is a Remlin 1894 in .45 Colt. The revolver is a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt with the 5.5" barrel.

Glock is the G29 10mm with a KKM Precision 4.5 Barrel.

Today I'll bring the Glock and the AR...

Last Edited:
20171109_165248.jpg

My lifelong quest has been to find the perfect one size fits all woods gun. This quest has made the firearms manufacturers rich, while I have not yet found the one-only perfect choice.

I've found many that are pretty close, but not 100%.

One that I thought was very close was my recent SR1911 in 10mm. A formidable round, very accurate, easy to shoot, and it doesn't take up much room. If it had not blown up, it might have been my ultimate choice.

In the meantime, I'll continue to rotate, or even combine, my carbines and revolvers, in .357, .44, .45, .30-30, or even a slug gun with open sights.

What kinds of "woods" venture are you going on?

When I go hiking I plan on going deep and carrying a rifle sounds miserable unless I'm hunting.

I carry a Glock 20 10mm.

If I felt I needed more protection I would choose a new place to go

What kinds of "woods" venture are you going on?

When I go hiking I plan on going deep and carrying a rifle sounds miserable unless I'm hunting.

I carry a Glock 20 10mm.

If I felt I needed more protection I would choose a new place to go
Back when I was a kid in Montana I humped my 03-A3 and a Hi-Power.. and an 80lb pack in the Bob for weeks on end. I know better now, lol.

Back when I was a kid in Montana I humped my 03-A3 and a Hi-Power.. and an 80lb pack in the Bob for weeks on end. I know better now, lol.
Back when I was a kid I was too busy trying to hump the neighbor girl. I know better now lol.

:D

My woods/hiking/mountain biking/snowshoeing/xc skiing gun of choice is a short-barrel corrosion-resistant .357 revolver loaded with .357 158 grain JSP. For years, one of my 2.25" stainless SP-101 filled that role and I have recently switched to a Taurus Protector Poly for the weight savings. I always carry concealed so that I don't alarm the populace.

Yeah, this is a bit tricky for me as well. I specifically bought a .44mag 4"tracker as my woods gun, but I also bring something fun to shoot with me. It all depends on how many people are going with me, how much I actually plan to shoot for fun, and what I expect to encounter. However, I typically pick the SBR or other compact firearms.

20170507_112705.jpg file.php.jpeg

My woods gun depends on what woods I'm going in and what I might expect to find when I get there.

Big bear country - KSG with slugs and buck
Little bear country - AR-15
No bear country - 9mm pistol or 10/22
Douchebag country - I just don't go to downtown Portland, Eugene, or Ashland

My XDM is ALWAYS on my side. Along with a couple extra mags. Depending on where I venture out, it's either the M1A, suppressed AR or the old skool shorty mini14. The mini almost always goes since it's small and I can strap it to my pack. I always carry extra mags for whatever goes with me. To most, mypack and everything I have on me would be heavy, but I've been carrying this way for 20 years so the weight to me doesn't make any difference.

Come to think of it, let's see here... 60rds of 9mm+3 40rd mini14 mags, +/- depending, either 3 20rd mags of .308 or 3 30rd mags of .556(for the AR)....

For the record, the other long rifle and ammo is for my chick....just sayn....but I gotta carry the weight....Had some strange crap happen in the woods....

My XDM is ALWAYS on my side. Along with a couple extra mags. Depending on where I venture out, it's either the M1A, suppressed AR or the old skool shorty mini14. The mini almost always goes since it's small and I can strap it to my pack. I always carry extra mags for whatever goes with me. To most, mypack and everything I have on me would be heavy, but I've been carrying this way for 20 years so the weight to me doesn't make any difference.

Come to think of it, let's see here... 60rds of 9mm+3 40rd mini14 mags, +/- depending, either 3 20rd mags of .308 or 3 30rd mags of .556(for the AR)....

For the record, the other long rifle and ammo is for my chick....just sayn....but I gotta carry the weight....Had some strange crap happen in the woods....

You carry an XDM? That's it, we can't be friends anymore.

:p

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top