JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is your "what was a I thinking" moment as far as buying a firearm is concerned? Everyone has one. It could be buying a gun that you know you should not have bought or passing up a gun you now know you should have never let slip away.

Mine was when I was young and dumb and picked up a cheap little Jennings .32acp semi-auto pistol. The bad part is not that I bought such a cheap gun, it is that I chose to buy the new blued Jennings over a used stainless Colt Government .380 because the jennings was $15 cheaper. I must have been high. :eek:

.... I chose to buy the new blued Jennings over a used stainless Colt Government .380 because the jennings was $15 cheaper. I must have been high. :eek:

Yes you where.

My story... I sold a S&W 686, 4" stainless .357 mag that I had bought from a friend who was a police reserve officer. He had gotten this pistol at the Oregon State Police auction and it had been an Oregon trooper issued handgun. It was marked "Property of Oregon State Police". I paid $225 for it a d sold it fo $350.00. I thought I had made a killing.

I too must have been high.

SF-

I recently had a chance to buy a very nice RRA 308 but passed....kicking myself every time I think about it......cause I'm still buying a 308, just going to cost me more to do it....:(

Don't have any bad "I sold that" storys cause I still have every gun I've ever purchased:s0112:

Saw an old Marlin 12 gauge pump for $60 at a gas station in New Mexico (I think) one icy night in 1985 or so. Pocketful of travel cash. Rationale for passing? I already had a newer one in the trunk so what on earth would I do with 2 shotguns? Youth...

The what was I thinking gun was a Cobra Patriot 45 for $189. I bought it as a boat gun, so that if it fell over the side I wouldn't care so much (I'd be ticked if my $900 colt went over the side). Anyways, I took it shooting the day I bought it. I had a jam every round. Well, more of a lock-up. The trigger would not reset after a shot was fired. Everyshot. I went right back to the store I purchased it from, and got rid of it. Replaced it with a Hi Point 45 (ugly as sin but works great).

The one I let get away - It would be a used 1912 S&W K frame in quite good condition. Its unlikely I will see another one of those for under $500.

At a big gunshow in the mid-90's I fondled a brand new Ruger magazine-fed, lever-action .22 Magnum rifle (I really LOVE .22 Magnum!). It was really inexpensive and my pocket was full of mad-money. It was actually TOO beautiful: the stocks appeared to be of a stunning ripple-grained walnut! This was impossible on such a cheap gun, so I thought it must be some new synthetic I had never heard of. I decided to think about it and look for it at the next show. I never saw one again................................elsullo :(

I traded a Ruger Blackhawk 9MM/.38/.357 for a titan tiger .38, still have itstill a good shooter but...youth and inexperience
a nice stainless series 80 at one of the last expo shows that I passed up from one of the dealers on this site, I think it was about 575.00 or in that area...kicking myself still.

What is your "what was a I thinking" moment as far as buying a firearm is concerned? Everyone has one. It could be buying a gun that you know you should not have bought or passing up a gun you now know you should have never let slip away.

Mine was when I was young and dumb and picked up a cheap little Jennings .32acp semi-auto pistol. The bad part is not that I bought such a cheap gun, it is that I chose to buy the new blued Jennings over a used stainless Colt Government .380 because the jennings was $15 cheaper. I must have been high. :eek:

don't know how old you are, but you could be looking through the hindsight glasses of a debased currency. Today $15 is squat. Back then maybe it was more. Kinda like today choosing to buy a Rossi or a Taurus over a Ruger or S&W for the lower price.

Back in the late 80's, I sold a very nice Garand for $150, that I had purchased for about $100. I was getting married and trying to scrape up cash.

I got a check from an insurance company for not getting a rental car and I had the money burning in my pocket. I had to have a gun so bad I bought a Taurus 24/7 pro 2 tone without researching it. In less than 24 hours it was being sent back to Taurus to have the extractor replaced. What the **** was I thinkin buying a gun without researching it??? Fortunately I was able to sell it for about a 100 bucks less than what I paid.

Bought a pair of Winchester 94 commemorative rifles (1967 Teddy Roosevelt, and a Centennial 1966) as an investement. Beautiful guns, and I do love them, but I have seen some listed in the last couple of years and there doesn't seem to be much interest in them. Don't think I'll be making much, if anything on them.

My first gun. A Savage model 67D for $120. Looked like bubblegum, rattled, but I thought "Hey, if they're selling it at the pawn shop, it MUST work!". I must have been drunk from the night before. Every 4 or 5 rounds would strike light, leaving me with a pile of live shells with an already struck primer at the end of every shoot. I worried about them discharging so much that I brought a metal box to store them in.

View attachment 197802

Sold it for $45, and was not too bummed. Bought a Western Field 500A and never had another issue.

IMG_1449.jpg

I regret selling a Marlin tube fed stainless with a laminated stock (black, white and silver) years ago.... micro grooved barrel... was a damn fine gun.. I would get another but that's going to cost a LOT

hmmm.. here's an opposing scenario.

my first gun purchase was last september 09 it was used but very unused ruger super redhawk 44 mag with scope and rail. I got a considerable amount of ammo for it for $300.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top