JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I am new to the world of firearms and am curious of which firearms organizations to join/have membership to. I only know of the NRA and GOA, but I keep hearing mixed opinions on the NRA. How would you rank your preferred Pro-2A groups?

Hello,

I am new to the world of firearms and am curious of which firearms organizations to join/have membership to. I only know of the NRA and GOA, but I keep hearing mixed opinions on the NRA. How would you rank your preferred Pro-2A groups?
NRA first because they make anti-2A people crazy, and some of us pro-2A people crazy too :rolleyes:

NRA.

Lots of folks will point out their downfalls and rationalize not supporting them, but we just can't throw out the baby with the bath water.

SAF -- they fund important litigation. Litigation is where the fight is at right now. Litigation can make Antis repeal their own dogshirt laws (*).

There isn't a single politician who is actually afraid of the NRA. These Antis couldn't care less about the NRA and that lack of fear features prominently in their marketing -- "I stood up to the NRA" -- you hear that all the time. But litigation is a whole different can of worms.

Look at the NY State Rifle and Pistol Association case -- as soon as SCOTUS took it up, those Antis shirt a brick and were falling all over themselves to repeal their own law -- one they voted for and fought for in court -- but the mere chance that SCOTUS would put the smackdown on them terrified them so much they did what no amount of lobbying or compromise or late night TV ads could have done -- they killed their own law by themselves just to keep SCOTUS from making a ruling.

Show me the last time the NRA got Anti-2A politicians and lobyists to repeal their own Anti-2A law. I'll wait.

(*) New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. City of New York - Wikipedia

Gun control groups petitioned New York City to change its gun laws prior to the case's decision as to render the case moot, fearing that with a conservative majority, the Court would create case law that would promote wider gun ownership and weaken gun control legislation

NRA first, last and always. GOA and SAF are also great.
At 5.5 million NRA members make a difference. It has some warts but who else has 125,000 instructors teaching gun safety, marksmanship and reloading?
Anyone badmouthing any gun organization publicly is giving aid and comfort to the enemy. Some are paid by Bloomberg, others are just "useful idiots."

NRA Explore

Any of the above mentioned groups are worthy of membership.

As for me I am a member of the NRA....
And , this may not come as a surprise to those who have read my postings....
I am also a member of the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association....:D

I would also suggest that you look into local shooting associations , like gun clubs or public land clean up groups.

And just something to consider :

When you are doing anything in the public eye with a firearm , you are representing all firearm owners with what you say and do....
It is helpful to all , if we are our own best "ambassadors".
Andy

I've been peeved with NRA for decades. Lately they really screwed the pooch. And they are not nearly as effective politically as they should be or used to be. Wayne LP has really been a disappointment, if not a crook. However, they are still the big dog for 2A, do a lot of good work, and are worthy of support.

I keep hearing about GOA from friends, but their public relations arm must be underfunded because I don't see publicity about what they are doing.

I see a lot of comments about SAF here on the forum, but I'm not sure how effective they are either. I think they are trying, but Oregon D's really have been on the attack and it must he hard to handle or keep up with.

(Edit: apparently I was thinking of OFF, Oregon Firearms Federation, and their struggle to stem the tide of anti gun legislation in the state, when I made the comment about SAF above... sorry for the confusion!!!)

Last Edited:

Why no mention of the Oregon Firearms Federation (OFF)? I am a supporting member. They seem to be really involved with attempting to block all legislative actions in Salem against the 2nd Amendment. I am also a member of the NRA for better or worse...

Why no mention of the Oregon Firearms Federation (OFF)? I am a supporting member. They seem to be really involved with attempting to block all legislative actions in Salem against the 2nd Amendment. I am also a member of the NRA for better or worse...

You just mentioned them. So consider it done. :)

BTW, that's the org I was thinking of when I commented about SAF above... got confused or bad memory or not enough covfefe. ;)

Long time NRA member but the NRA is getting weak, it needs new blood, new leadership. Same old folks year after year leads to complacency.
During these troubling times the NRA has been too quiet, it needs to take a highly visible stand against the anarchist who want to take down our country, but also stand behind the men in blue and our President.

You just mentioned them. So consider it done. :)

BTW, that's the org I was thinking of when I commented about SAF above... got confused or bad memory or not enough covfefe. ;)
They also send me email updates when Kate and her band are up to no good...it keeps me informed since I am kind of lazy about digging into state politics any more than I have to.

SAF, GoA, FPC.

The NRA has become an income stream for Wayne and his cronies, nothing more. Until there is a huge change in their organization they won't be getting another dime from me.

SAF actually makes a difference with their court cases. Send 'em money. Become a member, and if your company supports matching 501c3 donations make sure you apply for a match :)

Last Edited:
They also send me email updates when Kate and her band are up to no good...it keeps me informed since I am kind of lazy about digging into state politics any more than I have to.

But let's be honest about that service --a few grand in network services plus a couple college interns being paid in coffee and resume padding could do the same thing, and the 10s of millions of dollars left over could bury AGs like Ferguson.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top