JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was on a different forum when I saw an HRFUNK YouTube video that asked this question. After watching the video, I had to spend some time seriously considering my answer. Take 12 minutes and watch the video; then, consider your top picks and why they are important to you before you share with us. Here is the video link...

My Top 5 Most Influential Handguns...

Colt Junior .25ACP (1st auto and pocket carry gun. The reason I hate pocket carry 50 years later.)
S&W Model 19-4 Nickel .357 combat magnum (My 2nd duty weapon which I carried the last 24 years of service.)
Colt Detective Special .38 Special Nickel (My BUG and off-duty gun for a quarter-century.)
Walther PPS40 (1st semiauto CCW)
S&W Model 4054 (This gun turned me on to the S&W single stack, double action only handguns)

1)Tanfoglio (EAA) Witness:
Tuned me on to the CZ platform. It's still one of my favorites.
2)Marlin Model 60:
My favorite semiautomatic. 22. Yep, even over the 10/22.
3)Springfield Armory XDM:
Marks the end of my moratorium on plastic-framed, striker fired handguns.
4)Ruger P85
A Ruger fan for years, news of the release of their first semiauto was pretty exciting to me. It was disappointing performance-wise, but was mine and Rugers first centerfire semiauto.
5)Colt 1911 Mk lV:
I've owned several 1911s since then, but this was my first. It was also the LAST Colt I ever bought.

Beretta 92
Cuz my first pistola was a Beretta chrome (or was it nickel?) .32ACP

Colt 1911
My second pistol and a classic

S&W model 57 .41mag w 4" barrel
Stamped SFPD on one side
The largest handgun I could reliably shoot in my 20s

Para Ordnance P14.45
Double stack 2011
Standard mags were 14 rounds
Mag extensions gave me 18rds of 230gr wholesome goodness
Sold my competition build, then recently fell for one in stainless

Glock 19
My first Glock
Just the right size
Shot a grouse in the eye at 5yds
The handgun that started a revolution

For extra credit:

Ruger SR9c
Slimline 9mm with trigger licensed from Glock
With EVO connector and .25 trigger job, seems to be an even better trigger than Glock
I shoot it better then my G34 on double taps, but not as good at distance due to shorter barrel and sight radius

Last Edited:
This took some serious thinking but here is my list:

1. Rock Island 1911A1(basic gi model), got me interested in the 1911 platform and have been since, also the first handgun I ever owned.
2. S&W Model 66 4 inch with pachmyer wrap around combat grips, first handgun I ever shot, belonged to my father, been a fan of S&W wheel guns ever since.
3. Norinco type 56 SKS, this was the first "real" rifle I shot, I grew up shooting countless rounds out of my fathers SKS, always found it more accurate than our AK's.
4. Ruger 10/22 this was the first firearm I ever fired, after showing to my father that I could be safe with a bb gun for a year he took me shooting. The 10/22 is what I started with and it might be something I teach my children on once I meet the right woman.
5. Detonic's Pocket 9, I had one of these on me when I was attacked by a former friend near my apartment.(this indecent is why I now have a chl)
I would buy another Detonic's Pocket 9 to replace the one I got rid of and to remind me how God had protected me multiple times that night.

Top 5 most influential handguns...…. let's see......

#1. has to be the Auto Mag. Designed and built in the early 70's and still the most coolest gun EVER!

#2. has to be a Coonan. What is not to like about one of the first (if not THE first) semi auto pistol to shoot a 357 magnum round?

#3. Desert Eagle in 50AE. A beast of a semi-auto. Need I say more???

#4. S&W 500 Magnum. A beast of a revolver. Need I say more???

#5. Glock's. Just about any model. They just won't die no matter how much you "abuse" them.

1911 in 45 ACP, The standard for semi-auto sidearms for decades
Colt Single Action Army Cowboy and cavalry favorite
Glock 17 Genius in design and marketing
Colt Python It's simply a piece of art
S&W Model 29 Do you feel lucky, punk?

eta Runner up the Browning High-Power: Double stack leader and possibly the best feeling handgun made

Last Edited:
Colt 1911 SXE, my first real pistol, and it's a absolute classic from the days when Semi Auto was something brand new, reliable as the day is long, and satisfyingly accurate! Nothing else says serious like a classic 1911! It looks like a pistol should, shoots like a pistol should, and packs the power a pistol should!
Ruger Super Single Six convertible, that little .22/.22 Mag has been one of the funnest and most useful pistols I have ever had!
Colt Python, the Wheel Gun All others try to be and fail, and nothing looks or feels so right, and it shoots, boy does it shoot!
Dan Wesson Mod 15 .44 mag stainless, the pistol that got away, and I spent years tracking down another, when you want a classy quality work horse .44, few equal it!
Ruger Old Army, classic looks and handling in a modern package from the folks who have perfected the serious revolver for serious work!

Honorable mentions,
Beretta M-9/92F, battle proven and effective, and quite accurate, a serious fighting iron and an absolute classic!
Jericho 941, Israeli Classic and a serious fighting pistol, and it's so slick, and the sights are so dang natural, makes me look like I actually know what i'm doing! P-08, Luger, funky, clunky, chunky, and loud, but so satisfying to shoot! A well made classic, and no joke serious!
CZ-82, almost perfect for CC use, surprisingly accurate, easy to carry, and enough power to run as a primary or a back up!

1.The number one spot for me is a hard tie, 1911 (.45 of course) and the Ruger MK original.
First hand gun I owned was a well worn MK. I ran the crap out of it and wish I could have it back. Shot my first 1911 before I started school but could not afford one till later. Both made a lifetime impression on me
3. Browning HP because of course it was JB's last design he had a hand in.
4. Kel-Tec .32. I no longer carry it but I had spent a lifetime trying to find a pistol I could drop in a pocket and always have with me. Nothing worked until this hit. When my turn on the waiting list came up and I shot it, I went right back out front to get on the waiting list for another.
5. Last would have to be the AR pistol with a Brace. I have all my life been a huge fan of the PCC. I loved them when they were shunned. Loved SBR's but the NFA hoops were no longer worth it. Now I can have the best of both and love it!

Ruger Standard/MK3 Hunter: first 22 and favorite 22

S&W 39-2 - first 9mm (along with the Ruger Standard I learned on at 4)

Beretta 92 Inox: always wanted one and the wife got me one for Christmas a couple years ago as a surprise

1911: traded a GP100 6" SS (I loved and will get another someday) plus enough cash I couldn't turn it down and now it's one of my carries that has never malfunctioned

G17: it's a Glock, always goes bang and my wife shoots it very well

Colt Series '70 Government Model in .45ACP....first handgun I ever shot and the one that I carry today...
Colt 1st Model Dragoon....Just a big fun revolver....
Colt 1860 Army....a lighter , kinder gentler Dragoon....
My .54 caliber single shot pistol....first hand gun that I built...
H&R 649...my first hand gun...still gets used today...
Andy

Beretta 21a- First firearm I shot as a kid with my Grandfather. Which is why I have an affinity for pocket pistols.

Beretta 92FS. Classic gun, in tons of shows and movies. I just like its aesthetic design. Accurate and cool.

1911, Same as above. Tank of a gun. Accurate, simple, cool. Everyone should own a 1911 of some flavor.

Revolvers, take your pick of calibers, action type and barrel lengths. Everyone should own a revolver of some kind.

Polymer wonder 9's.. (or various calibers)
Glock, Springfield, S&W.. so many that its easy to get bored. But because they are highly adaptable: a model, fit and finish can be had for nearly any shooter and hand size.. Everyone should own at least one.

Glock- Although not the first polymer framed pistol, it revolutionized how pistols were manufactured at scale coupled with ease of maintenance and field stripping, moving the safety into the trigger. Special award to the Glock 7 and it's ability to pass through airport security.

!911- Nuff said. Probably saved as a platform by Kimber in the mid 90's. Pretending that CZ Shadows SAO's haven't been invented, arguably still the benchmark for pistol triggers...

P38- without this there'd be no Beretta 92.....PPK also a runner up for best looking gun....

Browning Hi Power- Still one of the most ergonomic, slim and best shooting double stack battle pistols out there.

CZ75- Excellent egos, brickouthouse ruggedness, accuracy, pretty good trigger - Favorite purchase at PX's throughout Europe in the 80's and 90's, it has gone from strength to strength as a rock solid platform.

For me, personally:

1911: It was with a 1911 that I really learned to shoot a pistol.

Glock 17: Made me accept polymer framed guns. After 15 years, its still my main squeeze for its utility.

Sig P226: Has the reliability and capacity of a Glock, the accuracy of the 1911and the feel of a metal gun.

Sig P229: All the qualities of a P226 in a package that is a little easier to hide.

S&W M&P40 2.0: I always liked 40 S&W on paper, but didn't care for it as much in the G22/23. Along came the M&P40 and I dig it.

I didn't watch video but "Influential" to me means it influenced what came after it. So my top 5 are based on importance to firearm industry, not me personally. Off the top of my head I would say:

1) black powder revolver (not sure which would be the most appropriate)
2) colt SAA
3) borchardt
4) 1911
5) Glock

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR