JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am new to Ar's. I just picked up a dpsm 223 with eotech sight for a good price, Looking to add a couple more but have a couple questions..

1) If you were to make a list of the top 5-7 stock 223 cal Ar's what order would they be, Your top 5 list.

2) Also I am a little gun shy on buying a weapon some guy built at home and not a factory build. I just a feel that the guy may have Micky moused it and i don't want to be the guy me dumped it on. Is this a realistic issue out there?.

In no particular order: knights armament, Daniel defense, noveske, lmt, lwrci, rainier arms, bcm. In my opinion quality vs cost I would by a Rainier Arms, then Daniel Defense, then BCM. For top tier best of the best I would by a noveske, then LWRCI, then knights.

I own a Rainier Arms RUC if that matters.

First, I wouldn't personally buy a .223 AR, I would recommend buying an AR with a 5.56 chamber so you can safely use the higher velocity 5.56 NATO ammunition.

Top 5 AR's IMO: Noveske, LMT, Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense

Link to M4 Comparison Chart for additional info: Link

Whoever made this one is at the top of my personal list...

unicornar15chainsaw1.jpg

OMG AR-15 Unicorn With Attached Chainsaw | Geekologie - Gadgets, Gizmos, and Awesome

theunseen.jpg

To the OP, do some research. You well find quality AR's from $600 to $2000. Decide what you specifically want your next AR to do. Long range, CQC, general plinking. There is a huge choice of configurations available.

The quality of the parts, quality control, customer service, warranty, all have a effect on retail price.

Top five

Noveske
Colt
Danial Defense
LMT
ArmaLite

No particular order. Would take any one on this list.
-BCM mid-length w/ 14.5" barrel
-Daniel Defense DDM4 V3
-LaRue PredatAR
-Noveske
-Rainier Arms has a nice rifle out these days in 14.5"
-LMT
-LWRC

So many black rifles, so little $$$...

These kinds of postings usually end up being like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. There are SEVERAL manufacturers in the game now who ALL put out quality products - all depends on your price point, needs, wants, personal preferences. The names that everyone have thrown out so far are all fine products.

But for the guys with thinner wallets, I've yet to really find any 'real' issues with some of the less expensive brands out there. Again, it comes down to how the tool will be used. IF you are going to be doing weekend long ammo dumps during a class, then I would probably stick with one of the main names listed. Not necessarily because they are any better than someone's 'franken-gun', but because you might have a warranty to fall back on if something breaks. And I have seen even the best brands have something break - not frequently, but it does happen. On the flip side, I've seen guys in the carbine classes using a DPMS, Bushy, RRA, DTI, Spikes, etc. and not miss a beat. Rare? Maybe, maybe not. We're talking about a platform that has been around for over 50 years. You'd hope by now that most have figure out what makes these things tick.

I'd trust several of the franken-guns in the safe with my family's life on the line. Mainly because I know what's in them, I keep them maintained, don't abuse them, and keep them functional - (ie, don't have anything that looks like that Unicorn in the box). Right next to the franken-guns, I also have several put out by the usual names, such as: BCM, FN, LMT, Noveske, Knight, DD, and Larue. But, for the price I paid for some of them, I know I could assemble a franken-gun for less, maybe even two.

All comes down to preferences and the thickness of your wallet. ;-)

Nobody mentioned so I'm going to throw it out there to add to the current known list. PWS for piston and Seekins for style. Those are two more good reliable reasonably priced (kinda) weapons manufacturers.

What? No Spike's Tactical love?

Spikes Tactical used to be at the top of my list for warranty and price, but after a recent build with them and the poor customer service they can eat a fat one. They are happy with poor castings and unmatched parts so they can be happy with them. BCM or DD, noveske for me from now on.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top