JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have one waiting to go onto my AR. Doesn't fully fold when combined with some fat stocks like FAB's own GL-MAG, but the idea is it's to not have something that says "Gun Inside!" creating a strange bulge in a bag for discreet carry--IIRC, it was originally designed for IDF commandos and Mossad.

I bought mine because folding the grip up and back, combined with a shorty mag, will make for less need to jack things up between the bipod and rear monopod for bench-rest testing with a lanyard on the trigger.

Seems to me like if you're rigging an AR pistol for carry... good news is it'd be discreet, bad is the need to unfold before firing so you'd have to be 1911-style Condition One. Hmm, maybe you could do empty chamber and rack the bolt in the same motion as flipping the grip (push grip with one hand, pull CH with other), but you'd still need a short mag for concealment...

It's a niche product, but unless you have bucks to blow on Cool Factor I suggest having a specific application in mind before buying it. That said, it IS a very comfortable grip for my hand, and the FBI issues the non-folding version--bonus, if you want to save a few bucks snag the OD one direct from Mako Group (FAB's US distributor) and recolor it yourself with some black Krylon. Promo code GW20 will get you 20% off everything on their site; extensive use of the OD markdown and the similar Black Friday 30% got me most of the furniture for my AR at below half of list price. :)

I don't get it.
Why

Let me ponder your offer DB. I may just cut down a grip ;)
I'm looking into finding a discreet case. The folding grip was found while searching Google.

My private messaging settings were turned off. Hmm.. Fixed!

Last Edited:
Three pics on the AGF-43S...

Full extension
20170218_153818_zpskhtd62da.jpg

Fireable from mid-fold
20170218_153919_zpsd7ulcbfj.jpg

Fully folded
20170218_161400_zpsaazcrujw.jpg

I'll be tossing up a review both here and in my column at RedState on Wednesday morning if all goes according to plan.

Like I said, definitely a gimmick, but one with a few niche applications where it has potential to shine. As far as shape goes, it feels much better in my hand than an A2--the non-folding basic AG-43 is an FBI regular-issue item and I'd have no hesitation about throwing one onto a "Bureau-inspired" build.

I think it's kind of a silly accessory; I saw a guy in Iraq had something similar mounted to his M4, he seemed pretty pleased about it. Just seems like one more thing to break...

Also, the fact that I only paid $20 for mine between OK-with-OD (hey, if you're color-finicky there's always Krylon!) and a 30%-off Black Friday coupon when they list just over $50 goes a long way. Final cost at 60%-off-list = SCORE! :D Don't most Magpul, Hogue etc. aftermarket AR grips run in around the $20 range?

If it's Makogroup...It's already cool!;)

If I was still buying AR parts and if I still lived in an AR friendly state I'd buy one just because I like the fact you can adjust the angle.... and it's ODG, I bleed ODG.

My next dog will be named ODG and I'll call him OD.

Brutus Out

Here's the review I posted in my new Gear Reviews feature (I have a few big ones I try to headline once a month) in this week's column at RedState:

Guns & Gear Review: FAB Defense AGF-43S Folding Pistol Grip for AR-Pattern Rifles
This week we're kicking off another new feature here on the Wednesday Watercooler, reviews of various bits of gun-related gear. You're all welcome to submit requests or add your own reviews, but I'll warn you up front that I won't review anything I don't have firsthand experience with. First up, Israeli firm FAB Defense's AGF-43S folding AR pistol-grip. It's a big, heavy, chunky piece of gear, I'd estimate twice the weight of the "A2" grip it replaces. It's got better finger grooves and ridges than the A2 and a "tail" that wraps around the bottom of the lower receiver providing better support for the web of your hand.

The original AG-43 fixed version is issued by the FBI for its tactical units, and I can see why–a grip's feel is subjective, but this one fits my hand for a rifle almost as well as a WWII-spec M1911A1 does for a pistol. Why fold? The original intent was for discreet use by Israeli commandos, in places where one wouldn't want strange bulges in a bag caused by a fixed grip to attract undesirable attention. For normal use in gun-friendly locations it's a bit gimmicky and the regular AG-43 models are a better fit, but if you're firing from a bench it's nice being able to fold it out of the way–retracted it doesn't hang much lower than the bottom of a typical telestock. And if like me you have hoplophobic neighbors that get strange tingles in funny places at the idea of SWATting you when you're peacefully heading out to the range, or you have an AR pistol you discreetly store in a vehicle, I could easily see this grip shining in those and similar cases. Interesting observations: the fold, as privately suggested by RedStater "markvol," can make bag-rest shooting easier without the grip in the way, and it also allows users to reposition the grip to more comfortable firing angles.

A few bugs, though: one, it's not ambi-capable with a button only on the left side; two, if you're a southpaw that button protruding 1/8″ to 3/16″ from the side can sometimes poke you in odd ways when gripped at certain angles; and three, the latch for the storage door takes hard pressure with a sturdy tool to pop open. Were I invited by FAB to help design an "AGF-43S-G2," I would consider either thinning the lower rear area or cutting a notch on the inside centerline in that area and adding a thicker, more accessible "release button," preferably using something a typical warfighter already has close at hand rather than hauling out a knife or screwdriver.

Bottom-line analysis: WOULD BUY AGAIN. The only reason this grip will not be on my next build is that said next build is planned to be a Marine-spec M16A4; if the Corps authorized it for use I would put it on in a heartbeat, and it's very high on the list for any future rifles I build not limited by Mil-Spec. It's not cheap–the lowest-priced option I've found them for is around $30 in Olive Drab; no problem if you're flexible about color or know how to use Krylon, and US distributor Mako Group sends out coupon codes for anywhere up to 30% off (more commonly 10-20; I got mine 30%-off on Black Friday sale, and right now code "GW20" is good for 20% off) fairly regularly, which goes a long way in making gear that defends the homeland accessible for defending the homestead too.

The author was not compensated for this review, and the review sample is courtesy of his own wallet.

I love the non-folding grip. I've had it on other rifles before and it's one of the most comfortable grips out there. I run the MagPul rubberized grip now, but because it's cheaper than the Mako grips have gotten. If they were still $20, I'd be all over them. At $40-50, I'll stick to $20 MagPul grips.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top