JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Interested in reviews/thoughts on Ruger LC9? I'm looking at getting one or at least trying it out at the range. My concerns are on the reliability side FTE's jamming. I don't care for all the safetys on the pistol but I can over look this issue.

It will revolutionalize the entire gun industry. Whatever you thought you knew about guns is about to be Undone. Prepare to cut up all your other weapons with a chop saw once you try the best of the best, The Ruger LC-9.

Actually I am tired of the whole gun industry, everything seems predicated upon the next new gun, want the truth? This gun will be much like the last one, the first gen will likely be recalled, a bunch of them will be sold & the first dealers to get a couple will be able to double their money--The End

Save your money a wait for a Kimber Solo. I handled a LC9 the other day at a local shop and was not impressed. It is really not a pocket gun & was not that much smaller than a G26. Additionally, it felt & looked cheaply made, like a LCP or KelTec, which should not have been a surprise since it is cheap.

Many thanks to RIX for the pictures and info. I also have a Glock 26 so it was easy for me to relate to the size.

Weren't mine, I just gave you the link :)
Credit goes to stmcelroy

MY opinion, FOR THE PRICE, it looks darn hard to beat.
But I'm not looking for a micro, so it's not on MY wish list.

So far, I'm a fan of this new line of Rugers... their SR-9c is my daily carry, but every now and then (more frequently lately, as I'm gaining weight this quarter) I put on a pair of pants that must have shrunk a bit in the wash... the LC9 doesn't dig in when the pants are painted on a bit snug...

As for first gen reliability: no problems here after just under 1500 rounds. I've been throwing a mixed bag of everything I can find - leftover half-boxes of Hornady and Remington defense ammo, FMJ cheapies, etc. - and no feed or FTF issues so far... I actually put about 200 rounds of Hornady CD down range and split the ammo between the LC9 and SR-9c... no FTF with the LC9 and 2 FTF with the SR-9c.

I debated waiting for a Kimber Solo, but the LC9 fills a niche in my wardrobe nicely. Yes, I'm still waiting on the Kimber!

-Case

There has been a lot of complaining about accuracy/lock up issues. There have also been a lot of issues with light strikes, but that seems to be an epidemic right now. I almost wonder if there isn't a rash of bad ammo being produced.

As far as the gun itself is concerned, when I first held it my response was "bleahhh."

It will revolutionalize the entire gun industry. Whatever you thought you knew about guns is about to be Undone. Prepare to cut up all your other weapons with a chop saw once you try the best of the best, The Ruger LC-9.

Actually I am tired of the whole gun industry, everything seems predicated upon the next new gun, want the truth? This gun will be much like the last one, the first gen will likely be recalled, a bunch of them will be sold & the first dealers to get a couple will be able to double their money--The End
The only gun that ever revolutionized the gun industry in a positive way was the small, concealable, DA/SA revolver. Every innovation since then has failed to improve on that formula, IMHO. The only advance semi-autos brought to the table was faster reloads and the ability to carry more prepped ammo.

I checked out the LC9, wasn't impressed. Didn't like the safeties. Seemed cheap to me. Wasn't that much smaller then other sub compacts. The trigger is horrible for the pull and weight. I went with the G26, 4th gen.

I like the looks of the Diamondback.. but it can't handle +P loads...

It can handle +P or +P+ just not a continuous diet of them. There are plenty of non +P loads that are satisfactory for self defense, IMHO.

Per DB Sales on Diamondbacktalk.com

Want to CARRY with +P? OK, no problem.
Don't go to the range and put boxes of +P through it. The gun won't like it after a while, your wallet won't like it from the start, and your hand won't like it for a few days after.

It IS SAFE to use +P in this gun. We put proof loads through every gun that leaves our facility. That's 3 times the pressure of a standard load, still plenty more than a +P load. The gun just isn't designed to run +P on a regular basis. Besides, who can afford to plink targets with +P ammo?

It can handle +P or +P+ just not a continuous diet of them. There are plenty of non +P loads that are satisfactory for self defense, IMHO.

Per DB Sales on Diamondbacktalk.com

That's ok... but when the manufacturer specifically states that running +p's voids the warranty.. I wouldn't run 'em thru it.

Manual Thumb Safety: I prefer no safety while not a deal breaker it certain is not a preference.

Non-Captive recoil spring: Just one more something to deal with and possibly lose.

Stupid loaded-chamber indicator: I am not a fan of specific loaded-chamber indicators to begin with but this one is probably the most hideous I've seen to date. IMO they are just adding more little parts, thereby introducing something else to break, for no real gain. I much prefer the approach of combining it with the extractor.

Not a real double action it has a hammer but lacks 2nd strike capability, what's the point?

Key lock Safety – No way, no day will I own firearm with one of these hunks of junk. It is a true instant deal breaker to me.

Size – It is too big to be a real pocket pistol, may as well pack a Glock 26. It is not big enough or high capacity enough for my idea of a primary CCW. It is kind of and awkward, useless size.

Overly complex, way too many small unnecessary parts just waiting choke with no real gain. It's got more parts then a 1911 for crying out load. From the myriad of safeties, the chamber-load indicator, takedown plate and a DA that isn't really a DA this pistol possess too much BS.

Key needed for Disassemble – C'mon, really?

I agree with all your points except the key needed for disassembly. You don't need the key anything can be used to push the pin out, or just tilt it to the left and jiggle it.

I just picked up a LC9 on Friday & went right up to Clark Rifles to shoot it. Even though I'm not really a big fan of Ruger products, I like this little pistol. The trigger takes some getting used to, it is like a long light DAO revolver trigger. I'm not a fan of the manual safety or magazine disconnect, but overall I feel it is a cool little pistol, with light recoil at a very reasonable price.

I have a Kel-Tec PF9 and the LC9 is the same size and fits more comfortably in the hand. Shooting the PF9 is brutal while the LC9 was a lot easier to shoot and handle. The LC9 has more room in the trigger guard for your trigger finger than the PF9. CTC makes laserguards for both.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top