Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Your thoughts on mild rust cleaning

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by JmcThe7th, Dec 25, 2014.

1. JmcThe7th

JmcThe7th Beaverton, Or New Member

I am interested in buying a gun with what appears to mild rust spots on the slide. I have not asked the owner to break it down yet to see what else might be lurking. Do you guys have a cleaner that will take it off without removing the finish. Is there company or home made system that works well putting a new finish on?

Happy holidays

James

2. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

For mild surface rust (no deep pitting), I simply use some 0000 steel wool and some gun oil, it's worked very well and leaves the gun finish intact. The only time I've seen it cause a problem was on really cheap, poorly finished blued guns.

Joe13 likes this.
  3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I prefer using Kroil, "The oil that creeps".
    You can only buy it on line from Kano Labs, but it works wonders with light rust.
    Just spray it on the metal parts, cover with with plastic film and the next day take a soft cloth soaked in light oil and the rust will just wipe off.
    It's a super penetrate and frees up most stuck parts if you give it time to do it's job.

4. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Soak in Brake fluid and roll (don't scrape) a rounded hard, or steel object over the spots. I used to use the tip of a scribe, depends on the contour of the surface.;)

5. Mbeef61

Mbeef61 SW PDX Active Member

This is what I have done also

etrain16 likes this.
  6. nextgenar

nextgenar roseburg Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I agree with etrain16 I've had real good luck with oooo steel wool and gun oil smooths out the rust and doesn't remove the blueing

etrain16 and Joe13 like this.
  7. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I used to buy it at Tacoma Screw. There's a store on Columbia Blvd about 28th.

8. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

+1

etrain16 likes this.
  9. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I haven't had any luck with the bluing remaining there after the rust has been removed.

I did find a use for Remoil though!!! that stuff is so thin that if you keep the area covered, it penetrates round the edges, Kroil would work better though.

Flitz works very well and is recommended for cleaning factory or hot bluing.

10. roguebw

roguebw Medford, OR Active Member

This sounds kinda crazy but an old timer told me about it and I have done it on several rifles. Use what ever oil or can of lubrication you normally use on your gun and find an old copper penny (1982 or older). Oil the rusty spot and rub it with the edge of the penny. The rust will go away and the bluing will stay. It really does work.

werfer75 likes this.
  11. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

As long as the rust hasn't eaten thru the blueing, there will be some left.

Still, 0000 steel wool will remove the rust and will not hurt any remaining blueing or surrounding blued areas.

12. roguebw

roguebw Medford, OR Active Member

I guess I should have stated that it won't ruin any more bluing that remains

Joe13 likes this.