JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am interested in buying a gun with what appears to mild rust spots on the slide. I have not asked the owner to break it down yet to see what else might be lurking. Do you guys have a cleaner that will take it off without removing the finish. Is there company or home made system that works well putting a new finish on?

Happy holidays

James

For mild surface rust (no deep pitting), I simply use some 0000 steel wool and some gun oil, it's worked very well and leaves the gun finish intact. The only time I've seen it cause a problem was on really cheap, poorly finished blued guns.

I prefer using Kroil, "The oil that creeps".
You can only buy it on line from Kano Labs, but it works wonders with light rust.
Just spray it on the metal parts, cover with with plastic film and the next day take a soft cloth soaked in light oil and the rust will just wipe off.
It's a super penetrate and frees up most stuck parts if you give it time to do it's job.

I prefer using Kroil, "The oil that creeps".
You can only buy it on line from Kano Labs, but it works wonders with light rust.
Just spray it on the metal parts, cover with with plastic film and the next day take a soft cloth soaked in light oil and the rust will just wipe off.
It's a super penetrate and frees up most stuck parts if you give it time to do it's job.

I used to buy it at Tacoma Screw. There's a store on Columbia Blvd about 28th.

I haven't had any luck with the bluing remaining there after the rust has been removed.

I did find a use for Remoil though!!! that stuff is so thin that if you keep the area covered, it penetrates round the edges, Kroil would work better though.

Flitz works very well and is recommended for cleaning factory or hot bluing.

This sounds kinda crazy but an old timer told me about it and I have done it on several rifles. Use what ever oil or can of lubrication you normally use on your gun and find an old copper penny (1982 or older). Oil the rusty spot and rub it with the edge of the penny. The rust will go away and the bluing will stay. It really does work.

As long as the rust hasn't eaten thru the blueing, there will be some left.

Still, 0000 steel wool will remove the rust and will not hurt any remaining blueing or surrounding blued areas.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top