JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let me suggest:
Anyone showing a "Don't Tread on Me" sticker will be deemed to required quarantine for suspected Ebola. Ditto, Tea Party members, 2nd amendment advocates, and any number of others included in "possible Terrorist" watch groups. All this in addition to the people who are sick!

Quarantine and isolation for who know how long . . . Probably until you "Get Your Mind Right."

Sheldon

Ebola is a little too lethal to become some huge pandemic. It still needs fluid exposure to be transmitted (think more like HIV than flu) so you wont get it just standing in the same room.

We have much better isolation and prevention of infection spread than a 3rd world country. You hear stories of how families will rush into a hospital there and forcible remove their family member who is sick with ebola. You want to spread ebola around? well that's how you do it.

Flu kills more people in the US every year than ebola has ever killed.

Let me suggest:
Anyone showing a "Don't Tread on Me" sticker will be deemed to required quarantine for suspected Ebola. Ditto, Tea Party members, 2nd amendment advocates, and any number of others included in "possible Terrorist" watch groups. All this in addition to the people who are sick!

Quarantine and isolation for who know how long . . . Probably until you "Get Your Mind Right."

Sheldon

Probably until you hemorrhage to death!:D

OK Class, I have to say that in my time in sub-saharan Africa in the late 70's ~ 80's seeing all the baddies, rift valley vefer, ebola, etc... Virus's MUTATE, this is what makes the common flu such an efficient killer. What makes anyone who took a High School science class think that Ebola is so magical that it CANNOT mutate like any other virus? Modern air travel makes the viral outbreak enivetable. I
for one, living in MOPP gear as I have, want someone to "...just say no...". I guarantee you that our betters have the capability to survive this, you and I? Not so much

OK Class, I have to say that in my time in sub-saharan Africa in the late 70's ~ 80's seeing all the baddies, rift valley vefer, ebola, etc... Virus's MUTATE, this is what makes the common flu such an efficient killer. What makes anyone who took a High School science class think that Ebola is so magical that it CANNOT mutate like any other virus? Modern air travel makes the viral outbreak enivetable. I
for one, living in MOPP gear as I have, want someone to "...just say no...". I guarantee you that our betters have the capability to survive this, you and I? Not so much

There is always a chance a virus will mutate and wreak havoc. Being a doc, I'll be on the front lines for it.

But... I've heard the same concerns for decades now. Bird flu, swine flu, Sars, Ebola bask 20 years ago when "the hot zone" got published... There is a whole lot of overblown panic that occurs because of the media.

When the bird flu scare was going around something like 10 years ago I had a local news director as a patient. He was absolutely terrified of the bird flu and wanted me to write prescriptions for years worth of tamiflu and cipro so he could stock pile it at home. When I disagreed that it was not reasonable to panic stockpile that much medication he told me that he hoped me and my family died waiting in a FEMA line for cipro. This guy was in charge of putting stories about bird flu on TV.

If a truly bad viral pandemic happens, stay at home. Viruses cant float through walls. Get a few weeks of food and water (which the preppers should already have) and let it blow over.

There is always a chance a virus will mutate and wreak havoc. Being a doc, I'll be on the front lines for it.

But... I've heard the same concerns for decades now. Bird flu, swine flu, Sars, Ebola bask 20 years ago when "the hot zone" got published... There is a whole lot of overblown panic that occurs because of the media.

When the bird flu scare was going around something like 10 years ago I had a local news director as a patient. He was absolutely terrified of the bird flu and wanted me to write prescriptions for years worth of tamiflu and cipro so he could stock pile it at home. When I disagreed that it was not reasonable to panic stockpile that much medication he told me that he hoped me and my family died waiting in a FEMA line for cipro. This guy was in charge of putting stories about bird flu on TV.

If a truly bad viral pandemic happens, stay at home. Viruses cant float through walls. Get a few weeks of food and water (which the preppers should already have) and let it blow over.

While I don't see ebola mutating into some kind of world ending viral plague that has the airborne potential of the flu, with a lethality that surpasses the combined killing potential of smallpox, the spanish flu, and pneumonic plague. I don't think the danger ebola poses should be understated, especially here in the "survival and preparedness" forum.

That said, I'm not hostile to the idea of bringing in ebola patients so that CDC doctors get some stick-time treating ebola hand's on, however I don't think this is without risk. Ebola, despite being only transmitted via body fluids (Vomit, Blood, S**t, Saliva aka VBSS) is still managing to infect people who are handling the corpses. So transmission seems to be more virulent than hepatitus, but seems to be less virulent than smallpox.

What terrifies me is not the the ability of ebola to transform into an airborne variety, but rather spreading via the fecal-oral route in the food supply. As good as our hygiene is, a significant number of people are wiped out every year by food poisoning. Nearly every one of these organisms we are exposed to every day yet they still sicken people. If ebola finds its way into spreading via the water supply, whether as a result of feces, vomit, or other fluids being introduced to the water supply.

While I do personally have a stockpile of medicines, tamiflu doesn't even make the list. The spread and duration of the current outbreak of ebola in africa, is certainly a reason for a bit of a gut check. At present, I'm unwilling to be dismissive, but I'm also unwilling to run around in the streets prognosticating certain death for everyone.

I havent looked at the data in a while but as long as there isnt soiling (poop, blood, etc) on your hands then the alcohol products are better.

Should they be used all the time? No, we need some exposure to pathogens to maintain our immune system and not kill off all the normal flora.

While I don't see ebola mutating into some kind of world ending viral plague that has the airborne potential of the flu, with a lethality that surpasses the combined killing potential of smallpox, the spanish flu, and pneumonic plague. I don't think the danger ebola poses should be understated, especially here in the "survival and preparedness" forum.

I think that's a good view. Treat it with a healthy dose of respect, but not walk the streets with the billboard that says "The end is nigh!"

Im still more concerned about getting stabbed by a junkie trying to scam me out of a prescription of oxy's than getting Ebola.

It was interesting, back in med school we had a lecture by one of the docs who was with USAMRIID who was features in "The Hot Zone." I cant remember his name off the top of my head

He was in a hut collecting blood samples from a group of people with ebola. When drawing blood from the last patient he had a needle stick through his suit. He sat down next to them to basically wait for death. Turned out that last patient had Malaria and not ebola and he survived.

But for all the stuff he saw and stories he must have had, his lecture was massively boring. Just showed tabled and graphs of boring statistics the whole lecture.

It won't surprise me if ebola comes to America, we have no control of our borders.

Mmmm just now watching a report on TV with them bringing infected people to America.

Last Edited:
...drove from Ft.Bragg to Ft. Dietrick (USAMRIID) to visit a buddy in 1976. Went running around 05:00AM thru the field behing the bio-incinerators for the hot suites. Everywhere we looked, dead animals, birds, squirrels, etc...US Army opinion, "...no comment...". Level four biohazards being voluntarily brought to US soil, with the CDC or any US Govt entity in charge? Confidence level=zero. Let me apologize in advance to all the medical folks this will rankle.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top