JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots of responses! THANKS!! I think I siding on the Ruger SP101 snub nose .357 stainless based on the reviews and cost. Would love to get a S&W but I think they are just not in the price range.

Now time to find one in Oregon! Posts I've seen are in Washington but time will tell!

I got the Misses a DAO SP101 chambered in 357 with the 2in barrel and fell in love with it. So she got me a LCR in 357. Its on my hip right now (also very cool). I have run about 500 rounds through the 101 and 200ish through the LCR with no issues. The LCR is easier to carry and the SP101 handles recoil better. Two thumbs up on both the ruger products. I don't have any experience with the other choices.
Oh yea they are pretty darn accurate for what they are.

I own a taurus 605, after about 1000 dry fires and opening it up and cleaning it up very well mine is awesome, I dislike the short stubby grips for shooting .357 from hell loads, my grandfather had some .357 loads that hurt something about 158grain from a 2in barrel kinda beat the web of my palm up, but so do 125grain .357 with the small grip surface in my very large hands, better grips and that will go away though. But I abuse .38special +p often and the taurus goes bang often and is usually my compact back up gun

The lock on my scandium 329pd did activate after firing magnum ammo. Not having the key, I disassembled the revolver and fixed the problem. It never happened after that. It seems to only happen in the lightweight guns. Something about the shock of recoil not being absorbed well enough so it bounces the lock flag/lever thingy up into the lock position. If I had kept it as a carry gun, I would have deactivated it. It is also ugly in my Smith and Wesson snobbish opinion... :)

The Night Guards are good guns but they have the lock. I had a 386 7 shot .357 and it would hurt with the hot 125 grain loads. I was using a Crimson Trace lasergrip though and it exposes the backstrap. The stock Pachmyr grips handle the recoil well. Here is my range report with pics and vids.

I went out and fired my new to me S&W 386 Night Guard .357 Magnum 7 shot revolver. This is the Scandium frame L frame with 2.5 inch barrel and Tritium front sight. I also put Crimson Trace lasergrips on it although the stock Pachmyr grips provide more cushioning for recoil. Unfortunately I have short fingers and bigger grips make the trigger pull awkward. Also the wife likes the lasergrips. For home defense use I expect to load .38 +P.

1-14-11018.jpg

1-14-11019.jpg

Initial impressions are that recoil is stout and stings a bit. Here is a vid of the first two rounds that I fired. These were Remington 125 gr JSP .357 Magnum loads. Very hot round. Kind of like a worst case scenario.
I then fired off a full cylinder of seven rounds and things got painful. The Crimson Trace lasergrips expose the backstrap of the frame. Well after a cylinder full there was a nice little callous on the web of my right thumb. Another cylinder full and the callous had separated and I was bleeding. Not particularly fun but I kept shooting and wished I had brought some gloves. I switched to cheap Blazer 158 gr JHP .357 Magnum figuring I would try the heavier load since I'm already bleeding, how much worse could I make it? :) Well, the Blazer loads aren't loaded as hot as the Remingtons. These were somewhat more comfortable or less painful depending on how you look at it. Here is a second vid of me just shooting 6 rounds slow fire of the Blazer ammo.

Overall, its a bit painful to shoot full magnum loads through it. Not uncontrollable or intolerable, but bare handed it will bite. I will try out some .38 +P as soon as I can. I think those will be very manageable for practice and save the .357 for occasional practice with a glove. I am also going to try different Magnum loads like Corbon DPX or the lighter 110 gr JHP loads that are out there. I took the vids to show recoil in this lightweight Scandium/Aluminum framed revolvers. I will keep this revolver for a while to play around with loads and decide if this will be a carry gun or just another that passes through my collection and then goes on to someone else... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The lock on my scandium 329pd did activate after firing magnum ammo. Not having the key, I disassembled the revolver and fixed the problem. It never happened after that. It seems to only happen in the lightweight guns. Something about the shock of recoil not being absorbed well enough so it bounces the lock flag/lever thingy up into the lock position. If I had kept it as a carry gun, I would have deactivated it. It is also ugly in my Smith and Wesson snobbish opinion... :)

I have several 3xx series S&W's and have not have the lock move. What year was your 329 produced and did you send it back to Smith?

I think the locks are unsightly so I don't use them.

I have Pro Series Model 60 in .357 that has some good use. It is not as light as a 386 but it talks to you - the lock is still in this particular gun. It's never moved.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the fact that a .357 mag out of that short of a barrel has less than expected penetration power. It's comparable to a .38. The longer barrel gives the gasses more time to power the bullet.
Short barrels less time thus more muzzle flash or "wasted energy". (I'm just stating the obvious here.)

Thats not saying a 2in wheel gun doesn't have a place in lots of situations, just maybe look at penetration tests. My $.02.

For a true "snubbie" I have a .38 special 1 3/4 in bbl. Smaller, lighter,etc. In the short bbls, the mag has little advantage unless you can't see your surroundings in the dark. They will light up the area! Shooting magnum loads, I prefer a 4 in bbl.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the fact that a .357 mag out of that short of a barrel has less than expected penetration power.
Pretty much the reality of it which is why I have never understood the reason for small frame, short barreled revolvers chambered in .357 mag but the upside is the additional weight. Shooting .38 Special out of my Taurus 605 is a downright pleasure. Recoil of a .22 and incredibly controllable. The .357 mag (like many other calibers) only come into their own in the proper firearm IE. larger frame and longer barrel for optimum performance and control. Why would anyone want to punish themselves by shooting full power .357s out of a small frame, short barreled gun? Kind of like shooting a Glock 36 but without the advantage of milder, alternative round.

My 605 is the first Taurus I have owned. I would probably not intentionally have bought one (mine came as a trade and I came out way ahead in the deal) but is has not been a bad little gun. It is a little loose on all fronts, compared to a S & W or Colt - but not priced like them either.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the fact that a .357 mag out of that short of a barrel has less than expected penetration power. It's comparable to a .38. The longer barrel gives the gasses more time to power the bullet.
Short barrels less time thus more muzzle flash or "wasted energy". (I'm just stating the obvious here.)

Thats not saying a 2in wheel gun doesn't have a place in lots of situations, just maybe look at penetration tests. My $.02.

motoman98 said:
For a true "snubbie" I have a .38 special 1 3/4 in bbl. Smaller, lighter,etc. In the short bbls, the mag has little advantage unless you can't see your surroundings in the dark. They will light up the area! Shooting magnum loads, I prefer a 4 in bbl.

How many fps difference do you consider significant? Personally I think it is enough of a difference to consider .357.
BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .38 Special Results
BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .357 Mag Results

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews