JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been on a buying binge lately...wife loves it...ha!

I'm now looking into a .357 mag revolver but am stuck on deciding. I've narrowed it down to a snub or MAYBE 3" cause of concealment.

Thinking stainless but I do also like the LCR. Partial a little to S&W. BUT of course since I've been buying a little too much lately price is a BIG concern.

What do you suggestion? Let me know and if you have something to sell let me know also.

Thanks for you all input.

I own a 6" stainless gp100 and a 2" stainless sp101. Both are excellent pistols and are built like a tank. The sp101 is a good conceal pistol but it is a little on the heavy side. I am a fan of S&W but their new revolvers have an internal lock on them that i have heard will lock itself while firing.

Not interested in 6" but I have good things about the sp101.

Alright dumb question: internal lock...what? I am a little lost to exactly what that means?!

I own a 6" stainless gp100 and a 2" stainless sp101. Both are excellent pistols and are built like a tank. The sp101 is a good conceal pistol but it is a little on the heavy side. I am a fan of S&W but their new revolvers have an internal lock on them that i have heard will lock itself while firing.

New pistols are coming with an internal lock and key instead of the padlock style. I have heard the recoil can sometimes trip that lock and render it useless until you unlock with the key

Another option, 2.5" bbl, 7-shot S&W 686+. The internal lock can be removed/disabled. I disabled my S&W360 lock. That's another option to consider. They weight a mere 12oz unloaded thanks to its Titanium cylinder & Scandium allow frame. I don't shoot 357Mag often with it, though; recoil is murderous.

Won't go wrong with Ruger, either.

I am a fan of S&W but their new revolvers have an internal lock on them that i have heard will lock itself while firing.

Seriously? Come on.

New pistols are coming with an internal lock and key instead of the padlock style. I have heard the recoil can sometimes trip that lock and render it useless until you unlock with the key

I fire thousands of rounds per year, individually, through .357, .44, and .45-caliber Smith and Wesson revolvers. I have never had any of them decide to just lock up rendering themselves useless. It's like the ILS that come with SA 1911's - there are a few good reasons to replace the MSH and ditch the ILS. The theoretical chance of the ILS locking up all on it's own without the key is not one of them.

Oh okay when explained that way it makes perfect sense! Thanks!

That, "Explaination" was not quantified in any way. All that was said was, "I heard something from somewhere blah blah blah" and you said, "Okay, good enough for me."

If you don't like the lock, there is a simple and economical fix that does not void the S&W warranty.

Which can be found, here:

[url="http://smith-wessonforum.com/accessories-misc-sale-trade/101850-sale-plug.html]The Plug[/url]

You did not mention hard decided on new (asked for what might be for sale), and so I will offer this: Just might be the very most often overlooked handgun by those without experience with what went before.

Best .357 double-action revolver for the money to this date (including new models from same manufacturer): Ruger Security Six.

Durable, compact (available in multiple barrel lengths), and able to handle the heaviest loads.

Oh, and this: It went toe-to-toe against "high dollar" competitors for accuracy in an evaluation by Shooting Times Magazine in 1975, and did pretty good I guess, against a Smith 19, and a Colt's Python.

It cleaned their clocks: across the board with the vast majority of factory and handloads, .38 Special and .357 Magnum. As a Colt's fan, I cried for the Python. Then I bought a Security Six.

Speed Six is the same gun sans adjustable sights: more often encountered in shorter barrel lengths.

Ruger Security Sixes with the 2 3/4" barrel are a good value for the money and they're not hard to find. Adjustable sights. Stainless or Blue. The Sixes continue to be underpriced for their relative value. The Service Six are square butt like the Security Six but with fixed sights. The Speed Sixes are round butt with fixed sights and would be the preferred choice for CC in the Six Series if you can find one.

The Ruger Sixes are heavier and stouter than the SP101 and about on par with the GP100, but a bit lighter and a whole lot classier. Most people who have them like them. They are built (like the GP100) to shoot the .357 all day long rather than taking a .38 platform (like the K frame Smiths) and trying to make the .357 work well enough for occasional use with full house loads. They are easy to work on and they are a working gun for the working man.

The Sixes are heavier than the steel K frame Smiths (like the Mod 19 or 66) but much lighter than the L's like the Mod 586/686. Smiths have better triggers, period, except for the J frames. But a Six trigger can be slicked up and made better.

I would stay away from the Colts unless you want to spend plenty-plenty for something really classy that few can capably work on. Prices for Colt revolvers are going up in a big way. But if that isn't a problem for you, think about the Colt Trooper. And if you are really into conspicious consumption, price a Python. Someone had a Python snub on here awhile back, I think for about $2k.

If you insist on buying something new, I suppose you might consider the polymer frame LCR, but the model has been out for only a short time and the design concept has yet to withstand the test of time, especially in .357. The triggers are nice, but in .357, it's a nasty handful for many people. I would rather go 38+P in the LCR. I think its just too light to shoot fast and to shoot well with even modest .357 loads. Just about as bad as a J frame in .357. You might be better served by the SP101 in .357 as it is about as light a piece as most people can shoot well.

I am partial to the Ruger 3inch GP100. It is small enough to conceal easily but large enough to soak up recoil of full power 357s. Oh and you still have a six shot cylinder. They are a little rarer to find but after owning the larger GP and the SP101, I find the 3inch fits my needs. I have not tried a 357 LCR but I have shot S&W snubbies in the magnum caliber and it was not as fun as one would usually hope for. My 38 LCR is nice though :)

Plus one (or is it two?) for Ruger Security Six & the Speed Six. I have the Security Six 4" bbl. with adjustable sights & the Speed Six 2 3/4" bbl. with fixed sights. Both in stainless - have had them for many, many years. What Spitpatch & Natty Bumpo said about them is all true. You can't go wrong with either one!

Ruger SP101 2.25" DAO

Small, durable, less expensive than Smith, retains value and no lock.

For carry, you can't go wrong with this one. The LCR .357 is also good - easier to carry but stouter (though not too bad) recoil w/ .357. A 3" SP 101 might be a good compromise. The GP100 is a great gun but as a carry piece, it's almost 2x the weight of a Glock 19...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top