JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
My ex-husband isn't into firearms at all... he tried to show interest because it's my interest. He did a gun safety class with me and got his CHL. Even went as far as to ask me to help him pick a handgun to carry.... but he never did, it sat in the safe. I started attending Project Appleseed events and became an instructor in training so I was gone on some weekends that he worked. When we divorced one of his claims was that "my guns" got in the way of our marriage o_O :s0123:

Here is the thing, when I made a commitment to a new firearm, I knew she was valuable, and I knew I had to pay to feed her, pay for her parts when needed, and clean up after her when she had fun.

I didn't sign up for all that and then some when I made a commitment to him :s0092: sooo was it "my guns":s0060:

Pretty close to the same here...she's gone, the guns are not and our kids are into guns (haha, I win).

I have the armorers wrench, but I think it a POS. $12.00 and what ever coating is on it won't let it go on the the basic muzzle brake.

I have small punches, not the proper roll pin punches though. And "Painters tape", definitely. I think of @etrain16 post when he was doing his lower. :D Haven't seen him here lately. Hope he's well.

I have the Brownell's armorers wrench which is very heavy duty. Also had buy a barrel nut wrench which it put on a 3/8" torque wrench to tighten up my barrel nut. I also bought some Aeroshell barrel nut thread grease too.

After 45 years, I'm still working on wife number one. I got her to fire six shots out of a Smith & Wesson revolver in 1974, that's been her total experience in using. She doesn't have many opinions about guns. She doesn't care what guns I have or what I buy so long as the bills get paid and it's always been that way. She doesn't look upon expenditures on guns as wasted money that could be spent on other things because she knows that guns are a money equivalent. Or at least they have been up until now but we don't know what political events might bring in the future. We both agree that guns aren't to be left laying casually round the house. She doesn't mind that I take off for an entire day to go shooting. In fact, over the years, she has never squawked when I've taken week-long road trips to go to places like the Reno gun show. She's just not interested enough to go. If they held gun shows on cruise ships, she'd want to go to those.

I was very lucky in my choice of mate years ago. And that's what it was, luck, because when you are young (in our case me 23, she 18), you don't know anything. And you grow up and change over time. She has stated before that we don't have much in common but I think what she's talking about is the superficial stuff. What we do have in common are shared values and that's important.

My wife is pro gun, although it's pretty much my hobby, she couldn't tell you the difference between an M1 or a Lee-Enfield. She does like shooting, but she is left handed and doesnt like semi-autos for that reason. She also does not tolerate recoil very well. Her favorites are my security six with mild .38 hand loads, and my marlin 336 .30-30.

One day I would like for her to be able to shoot a truly left handed AR and if she liked it I would build one for her.

I forgot to mention I'm also converting her family too. They weren't pro or anti gun really, just neutral. But I've taken her mom and dad to the range several times and they really enjoy it, last month her dad bought his first gun ever, a Glock 19:)

I just converted one also that had a friend follow along ,they purchased there own firearms ,so its a step to all in so theirs 2 new female gun owners. Took them shooting want to get a portable steel plate setup for these ocassions .I'm confident they will be voting for what's in the best interest of the 2A.

Last Edited:
My wife was not generally comfortable around firearms. She had some personal reasons for that, some bad experiences with people that frightened her. We didn't have firearms in the house for a good part of our marriage and we did together 37 years. When I retired one of the things I wanted to do was to resurrect the experiences I had as a young man with firearms and improve my skills.

Also, there was a secondary reason that occurred in 1996 when two guys in a pickup truck try to run me off the road out of the boonies of Oregon. That kind of situation where you have really no good choices if you're unarmed. If you pull over and stop you can be attacked, if you continue you can be run off the road so what do you do? I pulled off the road and pretended to reach in my glove compartment and they left. I didn't like the fact that it was a bluff. You add that experience to the fact that the reality is when you get to be an old fart you don't have the physical power that you had when you were young and the whole concept of self-defense takes on a different shade of color.

It took several years after the incident where the cost of firearms and training and ammunition with something that we could afford to put into a budget my career became somewhat successful I became a little more affluent and I purchased my first firearm. Another motivating factor was that one of my young protégés in the construction management world decided to become a police officer. When he did he also went on to become a SWAT team member and a sniper for the SWAT team. I therefore had built in training available to me that was excellent. After the purchase of my first firearm I also immediately went through the process of getting a concealed carry permit.

Getting back to your original question, my wife was uncomfortable with firearms and my position with her was that she needed to be familiar enough with them and understand how to safely be around them even if she doesn't ever intend to use one. The familiarization process reduced her anxiety level to the point where it's not an issue at all with us. She's even accompanied me to the range a few times, but has not chosen to shoot any of my firearms. But that's her choice. The main thing is she's comfortable and not experiencing anxiety over the fact that we are unarmed household. That comes from familiarization and not leaving the decision as to whether or not you are going to own a firearm up to her. The point should be that you choose to own a firearm and you want her to be comfortable with that fact and will do what's necessary in helping her get there.

*** "You add that experience to the fact that the reality is when you get to be an old fart you don't have the physical power that you had when you were young and the whole concept of self-defense takes on a different shade of color."*** <<Discovered this recently in an up close and personal fashion ... defending oneself and wife was an immediate and unexpected event.. Don't have the body strength I once had (much to my surprise and dismay!)...

*** "You add that experience to the fact that the reality is when you get to be an old fart you don't have the physical power that you had when you were young and the whole concept of self-defense takes on a different shade of color."*** <<Discovered this recently in an up close and personal fashion ... defending oneself and wife was an immediate and unexpected event.. Don't have the body strength I once had (much to my surprise and dismay!)...

***** I didn't go into detail in the original post, but by different shade of color I meant that when you are young, a physical altercation may be an option. But there comes a time that such an option drops away. As a CCL holder and one who carries every day, I done a bit of thinking on the matter. There is an old saying among those who pack lethal force, "An Armed Society is a Polite Society." I have found that to be really true. I know that my personal demeanor is much more sensitive and respectful to others since I chose to carry. The commitment to myself is that I will do whatever is in my power to safely avoid a disagreement to escalate into an altercation. Because I know that the outcome of an altercation will not be limited to bumps, bruises and a little blood. And moral issues of taking a human life aside, you will also be putting yourself and your family into financial jeopardy. There will always be legal and civil repercussions that will arise out of the use of lethal force. To put it bluntly, violence can no longer be a game or just a passing incident. It is an extremely serious choice with serious outcomes. GJW

We will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary on 12/23/2019. We have actually been together since 1st date on 12/31/68, the occasion being the New Year's Eve feast of a convivial group of Socially Alternative Motorcycle Enthusiasts. We were using our '41 Indian Chief for daily transportation when she was pregnant with our son and she packed up until 2 weeks before the expected delivery date. Looking forward to our 50th. I think I really lucked out.

My late husband was into self defense and into the SECOND AMENDMENT and not just because he was a Vietnam Veteran and served his country. (USN and, later on, Air NG Fighter Wing.) Non .gov job too.

He only owned a few guns and in only 2 calibers in his entire life when he died at barely 56 years old. It was HIS CHOICE on what he bought, owned and shot. His guns - his choice.

He owned more sail and power boats in his life than firearms.

He was older than me and even though there was only a 5 year age difference - we agreed in almost ALL subject matters (Basic fundamentals in life.) if not 100% but close to that.

My born and raised MT husband has been into guns since he was a kid.

My MT husband is into self defense and into the SECOND AMENDMENT too.

He hunts.

(My late husband and I did not hunt. I do not hunt. We did not object to hunting - we just were not into it.)

My MT husband still shoots on a regular basis but he is NOT a high volume shooter as he once was. He still reloads. He owns far less firearms TOTAL and in far less CALIBERS compared to what he used to own. His guns - his choice. He has some physical issues to deal with too.

I am into the Second Amendment and into self defense too.

My former firearms and former firearm calibers changed big time from my late 40's to now - 68.5 years old. It is what it is.

My former guns - my guns - my choice.

I still shoot the CZ 455 Lux rifle on and off. I am NO longer a high volume shooter due to my arthritis and old accident issues getting worse with age. It is what it is.

CZ 455 Lux - Discontinued 2018 - CZ-USA

The Savage Rascal rifles are still here for now. I don't know if I will keep them or not.

My guns - my choice.

Old Lady Cate

We will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary on 12/23/2019. We have actually been together since 1st date on 12/31/68, the occasion being the New Year's Eve feast of a convivial group of Socially Alternative Motorcycle Enthusiasts. We were using our '41 Indian Chief for daily transportation when she was pregnant with our son and she packed up until 2 weeks before the expected delivery date. Looking forward to our 50th. I think I really lucked out.

Congrats to both of you!

Cate

Just wondering how other folks' significant others view their ownership of firearms and if you converted your better half to a gun person or vice versa.

I was married for twenty years to the only child of an Iowa F... Wait, we can't use that term here... Her dad was a devout Christian who only bought a shotgun a month before Y2K, "just in case".

She had never fired a gun and had no interest. But, she believed that they were necessary and generally supported my habit. She fired a handgun twice in twenty years. When we divorced, she wanted the S&W 640 that I bought her.

Since the divorce in 2013, I have been careful to only date conservative women. Which has been tough to find over here on the East side. I just turned 50, and finding a good woman between 35 and 55 that is conservative, Christian, sane, no crazy ex, and is fit enough to, and wants to enjoy the outdoors is like winning the lottery.

Finally did that last Christmas right after my birthday when I met my current girlfriend.

She is from California (booooo!), and Southern California at that, (double booooo!) but her family are good Christians and conservative. She moved up here 13 years ago with her ex-husband. Her parents and three sisters soon followed and embraced the rural Idaho lifestyle. Her ex didn't and left to go live in Vegas ten years ago.

We've been friends through work for about three years and have mutual friends. I wrongly assumed she was too young for me(she's 41, but looks in her late twenties) and a liberal, since she is Hispanic (her dad immigrated illegally from Mexico in the 70's), from California, and a Raiders fan.

I admit I stereotyped her and was totally wrong.

So, she asked me to help her become more proficient with guns and I have been teaching her slowly and we've had only one range session due to the weather. She goes with me to my monthly GSSF matches and is saving up for a Sig P365 (though I'm trying to convince her to look at less expensive options).

But, it's been wonderful being with someone that has an interest in my passion for firearms and encourages me and supports me when I am shopping for the next gun.

But I hear stories from other guys that have wives or girlfriends that are either ambivalent towards guns, or outright hostile towards them.

I can't imagine the kind of friction and conflict that could cause in a relationship.

Or maybe it doesn't... I don't know.

If she gets the gun she likes she might shoot it more and be proficient with it.

When we lost our all our handguns except the BP front-stuffers back in 1998, Mrs tac gave up the struggle. She opined that although it might be fun initially, shooting a BP revolver was much akin to cooking, a chore that she had enough of at home. Prior to that, she shot everything I had, from .22 to .44Mag, and was a county-class shooter and medal-winner in her own right. She couldn't be a$$ed to have her own FAC, so I was forced to have a Hammerli 208 and Unique DES-69 .22 short for the rapid-fire on her behalf. She regularly took funds off our base police in their annual competition shoots, using either their own Browning P35 or mine, and sometimes my PP in 9mmK.

I could never be with a woman who is hostile towards firearms. In my mind, it's an ignorant and uninformed stance. I don't fare well with the ignorant, and they fare even worse with me.

My ex-wife would put on an anti-gun persona when she was attempting to push my buttons... it happened exactly twice in 23 years and neither time ended the way she envisioned. Paint me into a corner and quickly learn that I don't GAF about a few footprints in wet paint.

My new girl is ambivalent... she puts up with me but doesn't like the things. She's all-in when I need range time or want to take a class, she's actually pro-gun... she just doesn't want to be involved.

Please explain what a 'conservative christian' might be for Mrs and me.

TIA

@Waltherdude can provide his own response to your query, but as I know folks that use that term, I thought I'd share what I know of it.

It can have 2 different meanings, depending on the person's use. For some, it simply means a Christian with conservative political views.

For others, it may mean the above but have an added depth where 'conservative' means 'traditional' or even 'fundamentalist' in their Christian views. I assume it can be found in the UK that there are Christians that hold hard lines on the interpretation of the Bible - what it says is indisputable, clearly stated and not up for debate or reinterpretation based on changes in social values over time. Such are the views of fundamentalists. On the more 'liberal' side of Christianity, you have folks that see the Bible more as a set of guidelines with few, if any hard lines, widely available for interpretation, particularly with changes in values over time. It's not much different from those that see our Constitution as a fixed document and those that see it as a fluid document.

That's my understanding of the uses of that term. Hopefully that helps and Waltherdude can fill in with his understanding as well.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads