JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
My wife and I have been together for 50 years, married for 49. If it weren't for her I would never have had what was lost when my kayak capsized...etc. Just before we were leaving for the trip on which we were going to get married I stopped in at the local firearms emporium to look at a gun I had been wanting and it was gone. Long story short she had bought it for me as a wedding present. That's a pretty good example of how she views guns vis-à-vis our familial unit. She is competent with safety and gunhandling. We have each others' backs.
In short, as far as guns (and anything else for that matter) I think I got a jewel.

"My ex-husband isn't into firearms at all..."

Oh yeah, 'ex' she rightly stated.

Rolling on the floor I am.

Me, I've got guns I forgot I owned...my old pig gun for one. Happened upon it looking for something else...

Before 30+ years of welding changed my eyesight from excellent to poor...I was a great shot. I always said that if I could ever find a woman that could out-shoot me, I'd marry her. Well, she did, and so I said I do. She was blond, beautiful, a collegiate athlete, and came with her own small collection of pre-64 model 70's. Now, after being together for 35 years, and married for 31...I still love her more than life itself. When it comes to rifles, she can still out-shoot me! (I can beat her with a handgun though). The problem is; when I buy a new toy...I usually have to buy two!

Just wondering how other folks' significant others view their ownership of firearms and if you converted your better half to a gun person or vice versa.

I was married for twenty years to the only child of an Iowa F... Wait, we can't use that term here... Her dad was a devout Christian who only bought a shotgun a month before Y2K, "just in case".

She had never fired a gun and had no interest. But, she believed that they were necessary and generally supported my habit. She fired a handgun twice in twenty years. When we divorced, she wanted the S&W 640 that I bought her.

Since the divorce in 2013, I have been careful to only date conservative women. Which has been tough to find over here on the East side. I just turned 50, and finding a good woman between 35 and 55 that is conservative, Christian, sane, no crazy ex, and is fit enough to, and wants to enjoy the outdoors is like winning the lottery.

Finally did that last Christmas right after my birthday when I met my current girlfriend.

She is from California (booooo!), and Southern California at that, (double booooo!) but her family are good Christians and conservative. She moved up here 13 years ago with her ex-husband. Her parents and three sisters soon followed and embraced the rural Idaho lifestyle. Her ex didn't and left to go live in Vegas ten years ago.

We've been friends through work for about three years and have mutual friends. I wrongly assumed she was too young for me(she's 41, but looks in her late twenties) and a liberal, since she is Hispanic (her dad immigrated illegally from Mexico in the 70's), from California, and a Raiders fan.

I admit I stereotyped her and was totally wrong.

So, she asked me to help her become more proficient with guns and I have been teaching her slowly and we've had only one range session due to the weather. She goes with me to my monthly GSSF matches and is saving up for a Sig P365 (though I'm trying to convince her to look at less expensive options).

But, it's been wonderful being with someone that has an interest in my passion for firearms and encourages me and supports me when I am shopping for the next gun.

But I hear stories from other guys that have wives or girlfriends that are either ambivalent towards guns, or outright hostile towards them.

I can't imagine the kind of friction and conflict that could cause in a relationship.

Or maybe it doesn't... I don't know.

My wife has her own gun, an S&W Mod 36 Chief's Special .38 revolver and carries it concealed in her leather purse that is designed with CC in mind. We've been married 50 years this year and both of us have had our CCPs since 1976, 43 years. Moved here to Whatcom County, WA, 46 years ago from Santa Barbara, CA, and never looked back...! :s0061: :s0160:

My wife was not generally comfortable around firearms. She had some personal reasons for that, some bad experiences with people that frightened her. We didn't have firearms in the house for a good part of our marriage and we did together 37 years. When I retired one of the things I wanted to do was to resurrect the experiences I had as a young man with firearms and improve my skills.

Also, there was a secondary reason that occurred in 1996 when two guys in a pickup truck try to run me off the road out of the boonies of Oregon. That kind of situation where you have really no good choices if you're unarmed. If you pull over and stop you can be attacked, if you continue you can be run off the road so what do you do? I pulled off the road and pretended to reach in my glove compartment and they left. I didn't like the fact that it was a bluff. You add that experience to the fact that the reality is when you get to be an old fart you don't have the physical power that you had when you were young and the whole concept of self-defense takes on a different shade of color.

It took several years after the incident where the cost of firearms and training and ammunition with something that we could afford to put into a budget my career became somewhat successful I became a little more affluent and I purchased my first firearm. Another motivating factor was that one of my young protégés in the construction management world decided to become a police officer. When he did he also went on to become a SWAT team member and a sniper for the SWAT team. I therefore had built in training available to me that was excellent. After the purchase of my first firearm I also immediately went through the process of getting a concealed carry permit.

Getting back to your original question, my wife was uncomfortable with firearms and my position with her was that she needed to be familiar enough with them and understand how to safely be around them even if she doesn't ever intend to use one. The familiarization process reduced her anxiety level to the point where it's not an issue at all with us. She's even accompanied me to the range a few times, but has not chosen to shoot any of my firearms. But that's her choice. The main thing is she's comfortable and not experiencing anxiety over the fact that we are unarmed household. That comes from familiarization and not leaving the decision as to whether or not you are going to own a firearm up to her. The point should be that you choose to own a firearm and you want her to be comfortable with that fact and will do what's necessary in helping her get there.

I have t admit I probably wasn't the easiest guy to live with years ago and am on wife #4. ALL of the have enjoyed shooting and one competed a bit. My current wife of 23 years, I met at a USPSA pistol match. She was competing with her soon to be ex. She has shot the US Nationals with me and the S&W Women's Invitational match. Shot all over the US from local to Regional levels. . She has her own Full race Para 9X21 comp gun, a custom 6X45 AR and a tricked out 1100. All she ever asked was that I made dang sure the reloads I make ran in her guns!!

Good luck finding one nowadays. I know I've sure seen a lot of hotties at the indoor ranges I shoot in on occasion here in Phoenix. If I were to be out looking that would be the place for me.

Greg

Be of good cheer!

There are lots of women who like, shoot, carry guns.

My daughter was just asking me about buying a Sig 365 - oh she's a grown woman - plus 50...

Let's see, where to start...

Mrs. was at the Capitol today to testify (didn't get a chance), is a chapter leader for a national women's self defense shooting group, NRA Endowment member, NRA instructor. Her guns keep getting bigger including 1911's, went elk hunting in the last year, shoots trap with me, attended Gunsite last year, has a motto of she gets to keep buying guns until she catches up with me, my cupid Valentines gift to her was a bow this year, has (another) Kimber picked out for Mother's Day, and is at a gun club meeting as I type.

Our 25th anniversary gift to each other this year is the Gunsite 250 class and MAG 40 with Mas. And she just "made" me buy a 1911 I've been wanting for 3 years.

Yea, she is a shooter.

My wife has said that the only people who should have guns are the police and military. Of course, this went over with me like a fart in a spacesuit. I'm just glad she hates politics as much as she hate guns, otherwise she'd be a delirious, raving anti!

I've asked her if she'd be willing to go shooting with me and she's always turned me down, to which I've responded that due to her ignorance and willingness to maintain it that she has no basis on which to form an opinion on guns. That also went over like a fart in a spacesuit...

So goes the conversation under my roof regarding firearms

...I have been careful to only date conservative women. Which has been tough to find over here on the East side. I just turned 50, and finding a good woman between 35 and 55 that is conservative, Christian, sane, no crazy ex, and is fit enough to, and wants to enjoy the outdoors is like winning the lottery.

From not being roped into your 'conservative christian' rodeo, the womenfolk have tended to have nicer firearms than me.

My ex-husband isn't into firearms at all... he tried to show interest because it's my interest. He did a gun safety class with me and got his CHL. Even went as far as to ask me to help him pick a handgun to carry.... but he never did, it sat in the safe. I started attending Project Appleseed events and became an instructor in training so I was gone on some weekends that he worked. When we divorced one of his claims was that "my guns" got in the way of our marriage o_O :s0123:

Here is the thing, when a made a commitment to a new firearm, I knew she was valuable, and I knew I had to pay to feed her, pay for her parts when needed, and clean up after her when she had fun.

I didn't sign up for all that and then some when I made a commitment to him :s0092: sooo was it "my guns":s0060:
Mmmmmm no comment.

My wife has said that the only people who should have guns are the police and military. Of course, this went over with me like a fart in a spacesuit. I'm just glad she hates politics as much as she hate guns, otherwise she'd be a delirious, raving anti!

I've asked her if she'd be willing to go shooting with me and she's always turned me down, to which I've responded that due to her ignorance and willingness to maintain it that she has no basis on which to form an opinion on guns. That also went over like a fart in a spacesuit...

So goes the conversation under my roof regarding firearms
Well maybe if she did a little research into politics.
And history.
She might change her mind about ONLY THE POLICE AND MILITARY SHOULD HAVE GUNS. 381144-de7424f4a52f8345b347b7abb35aee90.jpg

Ha! I showed her the one below a week ago and just got in trouble for it. Some people get it, some don't, and ignorance is bliss...

Regardless of her opinion, I have a God-given responsibility to defend and protect my family, and I have made it clear that her opinion will not sway me from my duty!

0927583C-F0B7-4BFC-A53F-6EADD9C3F24D.jpeg

why are you mocking my religion and beliefs?

I was wondering the same thing; it seemed like an out of place and offensive comment for a thread like this. Shared values are important in a relationship. Why call someone out for looking for someone with shared beliefs? No offense intended towards anyone; I just don't understand why some people feel it necessary to show how much disdain they have for others' views. Why not just have a little respect for the person, even if you don't respect their beliefs?

Anyhow, didn't mean to get into that. Certainly don't mean to perpetuate anything. Back to the subject of the thread: one of my wife's friends asked her before we were married if she was going to make me get rid of my guns, as if that was a logical, reasonable thing. My wife later told me that she looked at her like she was crazy, and asked "Why in the world would I do that?"

She doesn't particularly care to shoot, and is not really interested in guns herself, but she is very tolerant of my hobby and very much pro-2A. We're coming up on two decades, best years of my life, so far! :)

For years my wife's attitude towards firearms and the shooting sports fell somewhere between amused tolerance and easy condescension.

That changed less than a year ago when she decided to take personal responsibility for her own safety. She owns her own Glock G19, trains with it weekly, and wants her own AR. Life has always been good with her. Now it is even better. ;)

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads