JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all. I am fairly new to firearm knowledge. I recently purchased my first handgun last year and now I am looking to purchase a pump action shotgun. I want something for home defense, skeet shooting and possible turkey genocide :p. I want to spend around $300. I've been pretty close to purchasing a Remington 870. I saw a Mossberg Maverick for sale at $200. Any opinions on either or something else entirely?

For your stated purposes and budget, I would recomend the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870. Bi-mart usually sells a Mossy 500 with 18.5 and 28 inch barrels for $289 (last time as I recall), absolutely the cheapest way to get there new that I regularly see.

The Remingtons I see cost a few bucks more and I don't see any advantage unless you like it better, then that is all you need to justify it.

Disclaimer: I have owned both and only sold the 870 because it made me a profit. The Mossy is still worth what I paid for it 20 years ago, shame the dollar didn't hold up as well as the shotgun.

For your stated purposes and budget, I would recomend the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870. Bi-mart usually sells a Mossy 500 with 18.5 and 28 inch barrels for $289 (last time as I recall), absolutely the cheapest way to get there new that I regularly see.

The Remingtons I see cost a few bucks more and I don't see any advantage unless you like it better, then that is all you need to justify it.

Disclaimer: I have owned both and only sold the 870 because it made me a profit. The Mossy is still worth what I paid for it 20 years ago, shame the dollar didn't hold up as well as the shotgun.

This!

I would go with the 500 though. Look at big 5s adds. They will have the combo barrel 500 on sale for $250

The Mossberg 500 is all made in America. Maverick is Mossberg's economy line with lighter parts made in Mexico that are assembled in Texas. The Maverick 88 has a forend that is pinned to the action bars and not a slide tube, so you cannot swap the forend with out replacing all that hardware. Nothing wrong with the Maverick 88 for occasional use. The combo Mossberg 500 also has a pinned forend. For heavy use get the Mossberg 500 with a slide tube or Mossberg 590. For turkeys I recommend a Mossberg 535.

The MB 500 has been hands down one of the best firearm values ever. The 870 might have the edge in quality but not enough to justify the extra money especially if your budget is a concern.

I love my Mossberg 500. The dual barrel combo is nice for Turkey and Home defense. Reliable as all get out and has never failed me. We used the cheapy MB 500 in Iraq also and they held up to all the punishment a soldier can dish out. You can't go wrong with the MB. I prefer the 500 over the Remington 870 because I like the top mounted safety and the lower price, but both are fine shotguns.

I've owned both. Still own the 870. The only thing I didn't like about the Mossberg was when I would cycle the action between rounds the bolt would contact the top mount safety and keep me from making a follow up shot without taking the safety back off. The no money fix was pretty easy. Just had to dremmel off enough of the safety block to allow the bolt to clear it. Zero safety issues created by doing this. I've done three of these now :) Seems to be the ones built in the last couple years because my older 590 had 100% reliability. No issues with the 870 yet.

Get one, and stick to one model only so your muscle memory 'remembers' where the pump release is without thinking, that sort of thing. I prefer autos, but like Mossberg 500s for pump; pimped out with at least a light on it.

Surprised to see no mention of Winchester on here. I have owned quite a few different shotguns over the years and I have always found that Winchester was the smoothest cycling, fastest cycling, and most comfortable to handle. I have had my 1300 for over 15 years, and still hunt with it every season. I bought the 1300 Defender (18.5" Barrel) a few years ago, and it too has been a dream. The successor to the 1300 series , The SXP, seems to have some ergonomic improvements, but maintained the Speedpump features, and all the things that make them great. There are quite a few available on NWFA as we speak, including a camp/ field combo with two barrel lengths.

Nothing against the 870 and the MB, but the Winchester is much faster, doesn't rattle when you shake it, much smoother to operate, and equally reliable IMO. (I have easily tens upon tens of thousands of rounds through my 1300 in 15 years, and it has been 100% flawless.)
My hunting buddy owns one too, same story.

MrBlack, I have several Winchester pumps (5), But the Op's question was for around $300, I'm not sure I'd let any of mine go for that price.
I agree, I wouldn't let mine go for that price either, but there are several ads up currently on here that are willing and available.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/shotgun-classifieds/139289-winchester-sxp-12ga-defender.html -$300

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/sh...-combo-12-gauge-turkey-loads-asking-$400.html -$350 and it come with a 28" and 18.5" barrel!!

I'd strike while theses are up!:woot::woot::woot::woot:

Remington is an American company, if it means anything to you.

If not, you can buy an H&R Pardner pump shotgun, which is a Chinese clone of 870 for half the price.
Remington owns H&R :)
And the pardner pumps are fantastic shotguns for the money. Lord knows how many rounds out of mine.. But i sure aint afraid to abuse mine because theyre so cheap and they stand up to quite a bit of punishment.
Just wish theyd make a 20-22" with a choke instead of that unwieldily 28".
Out of the box the 18"PP makes a good HD and truck shotgun, the 28" is ready to shoot trap, skeet and slay turkeys right out of the box. Youll have to purchase an improved and full choke down the road for the 28", but it comes with a modified. The rem870 barrel can fit onto them but youll have to use a shim for the barrel ring location (its further forward than the rem870) I plan on purchasing 3 more 18" and 2 more 28" down the road to equip family/neighbors if need be.
(of which i already own 2-28" and 3-18").
The finish sucks so keep an eye out for rust. I usually coat mine in rattle can black, green(s), or white. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top