JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I learned about the line of sight vs the bullets path at a fairly young age as I was trimming the rabbit population out of the family garden with a scoped .22. The top cap of our deck railing was furrowed with a .22 bullet in that learning session.

So there I was...
Practicing room clearing and house to house fighting.
We were at the "Tire House"...this is a house made of old tires...one can shoot with live ammo and use live grenades in this "house".

In a "hallway" of the house we fixing to clear a room...
So Pvt. Snuffy is in the lead... We are all in line behind him and are getting ready to rush into the room...he removes the safety clip off the grenade....pulls the pin and throws....
Away goes the grenade...
And....
It hits the door frame , bounces off the wall and back towards us...landing 'bout the middle of our line up of usual suspects...

When it dawns on me that we are all gonna die...I calmly reach over and huck the grenade in the doorway...when it seems to immediately go , as grenades are wont to do , BOOM!

Dust and debris ensue...and we clear the room.

Afterwards...during our review ...I was asked : What was I thinking...?
My answer was that I had a date that Friday and didn't want to miss it.....The things we do for love ....:D
Andy
Damn! Was she worth it?

In basic training while being introduced to our M16 fighting rifle the instructor passed around a 5.56 dummy round to us all. I must have blurted out a laugh and exclaimed "WTH" I prefer the 06 to this little thing...
Well it just so happens that the instructor had an M1 Garand in the classroom and I had to hold it above my head during the entire class!!!
That mother was HEAVY!!!!:s0001::s0001::s0001:

Well, if a picture says a thousand words, two pictures (entrance/exit) must say a lot more. To be honest, this was after the surgeon enlarged the 9mm sized holes to better clean out the wounds and the bullet path through my ankle, but still...

B98F767E-A349-492F-B239-0EA27FDFB745.jpeg BE0F9353-4CFE-4F7F-AD1E-400A63B59E37.jpeg

My #1 dumb*** moment was while riding my 1985 XR350 at Eddyville, Wa, somewhere in the early 2000s. Neither I or the bike were built for jumps, yet there we were. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of another 1985 Honda XR350 in the air and immediately I thought, what are the odds (right). Then it dawned on me that I only saw the bike. Where was the rider? I figured that out about the same time I hit the ground.

My biggest gun DA moment was failing to check my own guns after letting someone trusted pack them after shooting. I had a loaded rifle in safe that I didn't know about. Fortunately I figured it out on the next outing, but it did show me one way people get shot playing around. This is one reason stupid rules are important to follow. Rushed or lazy, I have to own that one.

In basic training while being introduced to our M16 fighting rifle the instructor passed around a 5.56 dummy round to us all. I must have blurted out a laugh and exclaimed "WTH" I prefer the 06 to this little thing...
Well it just so happens that the instructor had an M1 Garand in the classroom and I had to hold it above my head during the entire class!!!
That mother was HEAVY!!!!:s0001::s0001::s0001:
One learns to keep ones mouth shut quick in basic

Well, if a picture says a thousand words, two pictures (entrance/exit) must say a lot more. To be honest, this was after the surgeon enlarged the 9mm sized holes to better clean out the wounds and the bullet path through my ankle, but still...

View attachment 611543 View attachment 611544
That trumps the nail gun to the Tibia...Co worker wanted to pull it out, I said hell no! They used a pair of pliers at the hospitalo_O

I think the worst was installing a Adams Arms piston gas block on backwards. Then breaking 6-10 punches trying to get the pins out to fix the mistake.

I used to have a giant tube type TV that I spent many hours of practice shooting the heads of the Newscasters with my carry tool which had a lazer inserted in the barrel that would activate when the hammer dropped, :)until we slowly began to see burned out phosphorus pixels on the screen. :confused:We lived another eight years with that TV missing too many pixels, much to my wife's dismay.:(
bad boy, bad boy.:cool:

That time I reloaded 250 rounds with the wrong powder weight that was well above max.

I have no clue as to why I thought it was a good idea to spit on a light bulb when I was a kid. The hot bulb exploded in my face. I am very lucky none of the glass shards went in my eyes. :s0037:

Had my rods leaned up against the middle seat of the canoe I was in, threw my fishing bag full of heavy tackle toward the bow between my rods... well, a strap was caught and the bag landed on my ultra light, snapping it in two.
It was one of those moments where you think, "this could end poorly... OH WELL!"...

My Dad and his brothers (in the 50s) decided to turn an aluminum tent pole into a rocket. They filled it up with Green Dot, inserted a firecracker fuse, and corked it. They made a ramp and used a pair of forceps to hold a match they were using to ignite the fuse. All my dad remembers was a bright white light and he was on the ground with ringing ears, a pair of severely bent forceps, and blood coming from what turned out to be a shrapnel wound in his leg.

After over 60 years, my uncle still has those forceps.

Managing to get involved with a string of crazy young women back in the day. And I don't mean the good kind of crazy. After dealing with the Looney-tune Platoon, I'm even more grateful for a solid marriage. :p

That time I reloaded 250 rounds with the wrong powder weight that was well above max.
I had a CZ P-07 9mm sort of magically come apart in my hand back in my very early reloading days. But the only thing I could find that was actually damaged was the spring that locked the slide-stop in place and held the gun together. Replaced that and put it back together and it kept running for a few thousand rounds before I sold it, full disclosure given to new owner of course. Duh.

I have no clue as to why I thought it was a good idea to spit on a light bulb when I was a kid. The hot bulb exploded in my face. I am very lucky none of the glass shards went in my eyes. :s0037:
If I had a dollar for every "It seemed like a good idea at the time..." I'd have that REPR!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top