JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Perhaps I'm the optimist here. Much like the micro engraving of projectiles that California attempted to legislate, to my understanding the technology doesn't currently exist. And it would cost money to develop it, then take time to test it making sure it's not more unsafe than the condition it's attempted to prevent. I feel as if the auto manufacturers will resist this as well, primarily based on the cost. Wherein it's something to keep an eye on, it likely won't ever happen due to a number of hurdles I don't see being crossed.
The technology exists. From the article:
Certainly not coincidentally, the auto industry recently unveiled technology that would satisfy the requirements of the bill by basically building a breathalyzer into every car.

"Today, the Automotive Coalition for Traffic Safety, Inc. (ACTS), a Virginia non-profit, announced that the first product equipped with new alcohol detection technology will be available for open licensing in commercial vehicles for the first time ever, in late 2021," the group announced on June 2 of this year. "The new technology is the result of extensive research, development and testing by the DADSS Program, which is a public–private partnership between ACTS, which represents the world's leading automakers, and the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)."
The impaired driving technology is not a suggestion, it's a mandate. Like exhaust after treatment systems, I assume you will not be able to sell a new car without it:
"Not later than 3 years after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall issue a final rule prescribing a Federal motor vehicle safety standard under section 30111 of title 49, United States Code, that requires passenger motor vehicles manufactured after the effective date of that standard to be equipped with advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology," reads language buried in the massive and recently passed federal infrastructure bill.
I guess we'll have to wait and see what nanny state rubbish we eventually wind up with.

I guess I read this as technology different than a breathalyzer. Something that monitored lane drift and speed variations etc. I concur that breathalyzer tech has been integrated into cars for various reasons for years now.

Something that monitored lane drift and speed variations etc.
Bring that on MAN!!! Drive the roads here in potland much and at least 2 out of 5 drivers drive like that as their normal driving. That might lessen the congestion on our streets.

Human behavior is almost impossible to change. It takes decades to make the slightest impact in behavioral thought.

Most legislative action targets the consumable good over the human. Humans are too stupid to change. So most in government know, it is far easier to change the consumer goods.

Of coarse those things that change and don't affect you, you never even notice. Though they were likely legislated safer behind the scenes. Yet, no one bats an eye.

Besides, I'd love to hear how many here will bad mouth a smart car, while wearing an Apple Watch and using a smart phone off some sort. Likely, they already know you are drunk.

I can see a whole cottage industry popping up, Blow your Car, $9.99! Call 1-800-991-9940 for the nearest Blow Start near you, after hours fees apply!
Operators are standing by to take your call, don't wait!

Taxes, Fees extra!
There will undoubtedly be a work around- different computer chip, electronic setting that can be done by an expensive machine at a shop off the books, assisting device to blow in the machine, which will be illeagal in some states, gray area in others, like the days of radar detectors. No way will those of the upper crust be playing these games with their rides.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top