JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My dads family were shotgunners! They thought they needed nothing else.
My Moms family on the other hand were gun people and wanted every gun they could lay hands on! And the answer to any threat was bring guns, Bring every gun you have! and bring all your friends with guns!
At about that time they were armed with repeating rifles and revolvers.
They were the kind of people that lived in sod houses but drove the fastest horses and had the coolest guns! DR

Last Edited:
0A33D4E8-4146-4A11-90D5-17BA20ACC092.jpeg

I'm sure there's a shotgun in there somewhere.

The nostalgic and romantic in me wants to say a Winchester '92 and 1897. But those, I believe, were pretty expensive in the day. I'm not sure your average farmer/rancher/horse mechanic could actually afford them.

It would likely be a single shot rifle, probably 45-90, a double-barrel shotgun and whatever wheelgun I peeled off the body of a wannabe gunslinger while I happened to be in town picking up some flour and, if I had the scratch, some cornmeal. We was having some grits and fried cracklins that weekend!
RRBRestore-GunKnifeHornssm.jpg

An interesting thought exercise at a time when the options for black powder firearms designs and calibers was likely at it widest. So many choices of favorite arms....

Long arm: Winchester 1886 in .45-70
Shotgun: Winchester 1887 or 1892 in 12 ga
Hand gun: Smith & Wesson #3 in .45 Schofield, 7 inch bbl, a pair
Hideout gun: Smith & Wesson No. 2, 4th pattern in 38 S&W, 3.5 inch bbl

While not the most modern arms for ca. 1897, I think they would have been relatively affordable and fairly easy to find.

And, I too notice how many movies have the characters ignore the abandoned loot of dead outlaws, horses, saddles, arms, ammo, knives, etc. Of course collecting the horses could result in a grave misunderstanding, depending on circumstances, but at least the arms, ammo, knives, and pocket watches would be less of a risk.

Winchester model 1895 in 30-40Krag
Winchester model 1897 TD in 12ga
Winchester model 1885 in 45-70gov.

Pistol S&W model 3 in 44-40

Afterall my horse can carry a lot of weight.

This is the easiest answer on NWFA ever...

@Andy54Hawken would be my loadout. I would carry him on my back. He has forgotten more about arms and surviving pre-1900 than I will ever know.

Or it might look something like this (slightly different era...me in the back with coconuts)

MPhorse.jpg

This is the easiest answer on NWFA ever...

@Andy54Hawken would be my loadout. I would carry him on my back. He has forgotten more about arms and surviving pre-1900 than I will ever know.

Or it might look something like this (slightly different era...me in the back with coconuts)

View attachment 1065747
Are you suggesting that Andy54Hawken migrates....?
He might...if there were Holy Hand Grenades of Antioch or killer rabbits involved....:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads