JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gun in every room is a good idea, in my estimation. For me, that goal started one day a couple years ago when I was on the pot and heard a sound. My carry gun was nowhere near me and I had no idea what I'd do if the sound was actually danger.

I installed a cheap holster under the sink and keep one of my guns there. Over the last couple years I've repeated that process around the house.

Last Edited:
Sounds like a good plan.

When I watched this video

I was surprised at how little difference in penetration I saw between the three completely different rounds.

Many years ago, I lived in a city apartment and actually loaded Glasers because I was so worried about overpenetration. You must make your choices based on your environment. Now I'm going to look for a video testing the Hornady TAP ammo. :)
In the video they say that the AR round shed most of its mass in the first three or four wall sections, and from there on it was smaller than a bb. The 9mm and 00 Buck retained almost all of their mass. So they felt that the 223 would be the least dangerous for over-penetration.

I have watched a couple more wallboard tests. Sure flips "intuitive wisdom" regarding rifle vs shotgun and pistol.
No!!!! Don't extrapolate .223 results with any other rifle round. For example, the 7.62x39mm might stop after 3 HOUSES compared to the .223's 3 walls (I may be exaggerating a bit...). Most rifle rounds will way over-penetrate vs. a pistol round.

These results show why a .223 carbine is a REALLY good choice since it represents an amazing balance between HIGH muzzle energy and over-penetration mitigation.

At my age the recoil stings a mite, but it gets the job done
PA-633501-lg.jpg

PA-633501-lg.jpg

There are all sorts of opinions about what makes the best home defense gun. Without criticizing what others use, what is your preferred criteria for a home defense weapon(s) and what do you use?

For me, I thought about it and decided there were three main threat scenarios. One is the home invasion scenario where you're more than likely awake with the lights on. Another is the night time intruder scenario where you've already gone to bed and the lights are out. The last is the 4 legged critters that can be harmful to pets and livestock.

My bedroom gun had the be able to be equipped for things that go bump in the night. It needed to be something that was easy to use, easy to have readily available, maneuverable within close quarters, capable of mounting a light for target identification, and was chambered in an effective caliber. I chose a Glock 21 with a weapon mounted light, chambered in 45 ACP and loaded up with 200gr GDHP +P.

For regular carry around the house, I wanted something small and easy to pack so I could carry it everywhere, including the bathroom. I thought it was logical to just keep my EDC on me when I got home. Right now, thats a Glock 26 in 9mm loaded with 124gr GDHP +P. I also have a Glock 19, but I just picked it up and it hasnt been fired or gained my trust.

My critter gun, which stays downstairs, is a Remington 870 turkey gun with a 23 inch barrel and full turkey choke. I load it up with lead BB shot. With the choke, I can reach out to 30 to 40 yards on animals as big as coyotes and still lay a hurt on them. There is also enough shot to cast an effective pattern. Ive used it on raccoons and coyotes with great results.

I went with a similar setup. The only gun outside my safe is a Glock 17C with an M6 Illuminator with laser. My thinking is that I will be stressed and half asleep and the last thing I want to do is shoot someone who is not a threat but was stupid enough to come around after hours without letting me know (daughter, sister in law, etc). The fact that the Glock has no safety or other things to figure out was part of my decision too.

So, I know there are lots of opinions on lasers on weapons but I want to identify and acquire and I figure the Illuminator will help me do it.

The Glock also did a dandy job on the coyote that was trying to get my chickens last year.

Like some others I have a Charter Arms revolver on the Bed stand, mine is a 40 S&W Pitbull, That is to get to my AR with Red Dot
The wife keeps her Glocks 17 and 42 handy to get to her AR Pistol
If up always carrying
Wife has a 40 Walther PPX for a kitchen Gun
all handguns are topped off with JHP of some flavor,

Now that I think about the loaded weapons my wife and I have secreted about the house it almost seems ridiculous: four revolvers, one G17, and one coach gun. This is on top of an early warning system consisting of three very cute, yappy, little dogs.
...now if you could just find those dam'd reading glasses! :p;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top