JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Avoiding any hearing damage is preferred. Electronic noise cancelling earmuffs are a cheaper alternative to a suppressor, and if something goes bump in the night and you have time to throw them on...bully for you. There is a reason flashbangs are used by MIL and LEOs, and when that weapon goes off, it is essentially a flashbang in your hallway. By eliminating the concussive blast of noise, you will be more likely to stay in the fight. Adrenaline overcomes a lot, but why make it do more than it needs to. Again, this is all assuming you have 10-20 seconds to throw the muffs on.

Right now my choices are a Series 70 Colt Government Model or if in hunting season* one of my shotguns , with the birdshot taken out and buckshot loaded.
Not very exciting eye candy , but I know they work and can hit with them.
Andy
* I normally hunt with a custom Hawken replica , I suppose this would work on multiple threats if they stood in a single line ... LOL

I have a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 pump with a built-in technical flash-light with strobe. I altered it with a pistol grip and loaded it with double 0 buckshot. It sleeps right below me under my bed.
I also carry a M&P Bodyguard 380 in my pocket, always; hoping to upgrade that to a XDS in 45 or something else as I review/learn the best daily carry for me.
Don't let the iceholes win!

Right now my choices are a Series 70 Colt Government Model or if in hunting season* one of my shotguns , with the birdshot taken out and buckshot loaded.
Not very exciting eye candy , but I know they work and can hit with them.
Andy
* I normally hunt with a custom Hawken replica , I suppose this would work on multiple threats if they stood in a single line ... LOL
All you need to do is stand there stuffing a muzzle gun and have one of you big knives in hand.
Then just yell,Honey tomorrows dinner has arrived.
All while wearing a buck skin hat of course

I want my bedside gun to be a full-size version of my EDC, same type as my competition pistol, in the same caliber, with the same sighting system, plus a light. Also, a suppressor is an absolute must, if one can swing it. Thus, here is what I've chosen:

Glock 17
Dawson +5 mag extension
Milled for my red dot sight
Suppressor night sights
Silencerco Octane
TLR-1HL

Of course this was put together over time because it costs more than any of my other guns.

There are all sorts of opinions about what makes the best home defense gun. Without criticizing what others use, what is your preferred criteria for a home defense weapon(s) and what do you use?

For me, I thought about it and decided there were three main threat scenarios. One is the home invasion scenario where you're more than likely awake with the lights on. Another is the night time intruder scenario where you've already gone to bed and the lights are out. The last is the 4 legged critters that can be harmful to pets and livestock.

My bedroom gun had the be able to be equipped for things that go bump in the night. It needed to be something that was easy to use, easy to have readily available, maneuverable within close quarters, capable of mounting a light for target identification, and was chambered in an effective caliber. I chose a Glock 21 with a weapon mounted light, chambered in 45 ACP and loaded up with 200gr GDHP +P.

For regular carry around the house, I wanted something small and easy to pack so I could carry it everywhere, including the bathroom. I thought it was logical to just keep my EDC on me when I got home. Right now, thats a Glock 26 in 9mm loaded with 124gr GDHP +P. I also have a Glock 19, but I just picked it up and it hasnt been fired or gained my trust.

My critter gun, which stays downstairs, is a Remington 870 turkey gun with a 23 inch barrel and full turkey choke. I load it up with lead BB shot. With the choke, I can reach out to 30 to 40 yards on animals as big as coyotes and still lay a hurt on them. There is also enough shot to cast an effective pattern. Ive used it on raccoons and coyotes with great results.
Right now, I'm a one gun dude, so its an H&R 20 ga. single, by default.
I'm ok with it, though, since my preference for home protection is a shotgun.
Given a choice, I would prefer something capable of multiple shots, though.
Maybe a double barreled 12 ga. with fairly open chokes (Skeet 1 & 2 chokes, come to mind, off-hand) and a good solid Pheasant load.

Dean

I would prefer something capable of multiple shots, though. Maybe a double barreled 12 ga.
Double-barreled=multiple shots? I suppose you're right, mathematically, but 1 or even 2 rounds is so under-gunned as to be close to being UN-armed.

But that is just my opinion for other people reading your post. Everyone has the right to use any gun they feel most comfortable with!

Fortunately I have acreage so no real neighbors to worry about, my folks have the chunk of acreage next to me.
Three ways into my place, wireless motion sensors on all three, four other places where motion sensor lights come on with movement.
I have four different positions on the 2nd floor of the house with which to shoot from.
For the longer range shots I have a Savage 10FLCP-SR 308. Any larger targets closer to the house I have a Daniel Defense AR15.
If someone actually got into the house my bedside is an LWRC SBR that I build last year.
If someone got in when I am awake and heaven forbid I didn't actually have a firearm on my person I have three .45s hidden around the house in various places.

If after all that they still get to me then so be it, they earned it.

I'm all for wearing one's carry gun every waking moment. Also, don't forget the "bathrobe gun." I have a small handgun in one pocket of my bathrobe, tactical level flashlight and pocketknife (because I'm always needing a knife for something) in the other. Trouble often comes late at night. In fact, some predators watch a victim's apartment until the pattern of lights suggests she is in the shower. Her bathrobe is similarly equipped.

Upstairs bedroom on older steep-roofed house, that angled section of the wall can easily hold a shotgun and an AR15 in racks on either side of the bed. Get your stud finder and that old pickp gun rack you never used, then cut and drill it into the racks you need. Do you have an old holster that isn't a precise fit for your EDC but would be a decent "pouch" if always stationary? Maybe a cheap belt slide that turned out to be uncomfortable? OK, screw it to the wall to one side of the headboard. We have one for me, one for her. When you undress, you move your EDC from your waist to the wall holster.

My rifle sighted Winchester 1200 Marine Stainless has 6 rounds of slugs in tube, 6 Buck on the Sidesaddle. Her Remington 870 has 6 Buck in the tube, 6 more on the Sidesaddle. Her Sure Fire fore end light cost more than the 870, but it's a nice light.

We're still a work in progress. My AR has Eotech and flip-up irons, with Streamlight TLR-2 HL with the red laser. After reading here, we're definitely going to make more effort to keep hearing protection handy. I'm half deaf, but want to preserve what I have left. And electronic muffs are becoming truly affordable.

The 10/22 with old Aimpoint, over the upstairs back door, isn't really a defender, just a small pest tool.

My wife also keeps a Kukri near the bed. She has a thing about blades. Her life collection of scars comes with much more interesting stories than mine. Let's hope any invader does not catch her away from a gun; it would be quicker and less messy that way.

Was using a xd 45 and xdm 40, but switched to a 590 in 12ga. I didn't like the over penetration of those rounds switched to an AR15. We had a home invasion a few years ago, and clearing your house with a full size rifle sucks. So I switched to an IWI Tavor in 5.56 with an Aimpoint micro t1, single point sling, and a streamlight weapon light. I also set up a chest rig I can through on with a few spare mags, backup light, knife, and medkit.

That reminds me: Lights. We have some good ones. But in addition to the tactical flamethrowers we carry, we have a pair of good old 3-D Maglites (the handy bludgeon size) clipped to the wall to either side of the headboard. Hers is 1st gen LED, mine has an LED conversion bulb. When you're fumbling around half awake in the dark, the big Mag is easy to find. Just clicking them on while still clipped to the wall provides adequate "sconce lights" during a power outage. With one of those on, I can easily find the Sure Fire or other small lights.

We recently bought some of the new 3rd gen 3-D LED Maglites, and we have them clipped by exterior doors, powered by Ni-MH batteries. These new ones claim 635 lumens and they will reach across the yard and into the woods. The 3rd gen has slightly different dimensions, tube maybe not as heavy, but they seem OK so far.

Lately I've been thinking about switching out the closet 12ga for an AR carbine with frangible rounds. Probably going to.

I was going to go that route, but after doing some research on frangible rounds, I found that in general they have to hit something harder then what they made the bullet out of.

I was going to go that route, but after doing some research on frangible rounds, I found that in general they have to hit something harder then what they made the bullet out of.

i have home defense rounds for the AR's...they're called varmint rounds. :D
They'll tear up the poor soul who decides to come into my house. Umm, well, actually they won't because my first go to home defense gun is a handgun. But i have them in case i can't get to my pistols and have to grab an AR first.

Varmint rounds (~50gr polymer tip) dont tend to have enough penetration. All their energy is expended in first 6-8 inches. I prefer Hornady TAP 55gr in my 1:9 and 75gr in my 1:7. Those are actually designed for PEOPLE.

Sounds like a good plan.

When I watched this video

I was surprised at how little difference in penetration I saw between the three completely different rounds.

Many years ago, I lived in a city apartment and actually loaded Glasers because I was so worried about overpenetration. You must make your choices based on your environment. Now I'm going to look for a video testing the Hornady TAP ammo. :)

That reminds me: Lights. We have some good ones. But in addition to the tactical flamethrowers we carry, we have a pair of good old 3-D Maglites (the handy bludgeon size) clipped to the wall to either side of the headboard. Hers is 1st gen LED, mine has an LED conversion bulb. When you're fumbling around half awake in the dark, the big Mag is easy to find. Just clicking them on while still clipped to the wall provides adequate "sconce lights" during a power outage. With one of those on, I can easily find the Sure Fire or other small lights.

We recently bought some of the new 3rd gen 3-D LED Maglites, and we have them clipped by exterior doors, powered by Ni-MH batteries. These new ones claim 635 lumens and they will reach across the yard and into the woods. The 3rd gen has slightly different dimensions, tube maybe not as heavy, but they seem OK so far.
Good post.
I'm not gonna fault your choice of using a Maglite. I've owned a few myself over the years. Dam nice product, but I recently found something else that I really like.
Works off of a couple of AA's, magnet sticks it to the refer, a hook allows me to hang it from my belt loop and it can light up my entire living room...

image_14142.jpg

(the one shown above is actually available through Harbour Freight - http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-portable-worklight-flashlight-67227.html)

Found it for $5 at a Korean department store. :D

image_14142.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews