JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I keep a humongus loaded Dog close by. A little old school, but worth the clean up effort and food bills and such and the early warning I get that something is amiss. If a threat gets past the teeth, it gets a Winchester 1897 trench gun with birdshot! I know birdshot isn't as sexy as buck or slugs but at close range, it stops a bad guy or two just as quick and just as dead! I have my carry piece and the wife has hers! With kids in the house ( older ) we have to be careful how we deal with threats but the big dog gives ample warning!

I have a light-sleeping German Shepherd,an obstinate deaf Aussie, two teenage boys, two more boys under 12, and a 9 year old girl that loves to cover everything in glitter.
I feel bad for the moron that shows up unannounced at my place in the middle of the night...

Here's a look at my "Who's There?" firearm when things go bump in the night.
WW1 Trench bayonet is optional, but 7 rds of double aught buckshot isn't.

win pump 12 002.JPG

win pump 12 002.JPG

What ever one choose , keep in mind just how loud indoors a shotgun is or any gun for that matter. What you hear at the outdoor range multiply that by maybe a factor of 3 or more. So choose what ever works for you but be prepared if used to be deaf or partially depending where that firearm is discharged for a few hours even. Ringing in the ears and deafness from firearm discharge is no joke. I have Tinitus myself from my past and can tell you this is not as fun to have as you thinko_O. When I see threads like this I always try and preach a bit many have it, but once you do you most likely do for life.

I wonder how many people consider what the concussion is going to do to their hearing and ability to concentrate after firing indoors with no hearing protection. I doubt too many.

Actually, I keep 2 sets of electronic earmuffs next to my bed as well as my gun. With them turned on, I can hear in the house very well, and my hearing is protected, should I need to discharge my gun.

I guess I am a minimalist, Shield in 9mm for all of it. I prefer a detached flash light. Don't have to worry about critters but would say I'd be OK for the size of anything coming into the suburbs. (and sometimes it will be an LCR9, sometimes you just need a revolver for a little while )

Actually, I keep 2 sets of electronic earmuffs next to my bed as well as my gun. With them turned on, I can hear in the house very well, and my hearing is protected, should I need to discharge my gun.

My ears are probably worse for it, but when something needs shooting, the last thing I care about is ear pro. I dont remember ever having ringing ears when shooting at something living.

Yeah, there is a lot to do outside of guns themselves to make a home invasion fail.

I always wondered whether adding a "chinese door" in the house in one or two places would make sense. In the old buildings in china, the threshold is something like 6 or 8 inches tall, so you have to step over them to get in. The reason the chinese did this was because ghosts can't step over like that, so it keeps them out of the house. :) Anyway, you get used to stepping over these things after a while, but it would sure trip up anybody who came in while you were asleep.

I didn't serve in the Navy.

I'd knock my self silly.

My carry handgun sits in the side table next to me in bed; a S&W 645 I've packed for almost 30 years. A three cell Maglite is beside it.

I also keep a S&W M15 in a lock box close at hand; something my wife and daughter can use easier than a full size 45 ACP.

Last is a Winchester M12 riot length 12 gage with both 00 buck and birdshot rounds handy; where we live it's more likely to encounter a rabid raccoon that a home invader so I like the option. My plan is to pick up a 20 gage double barrel coach gun later this next year; again easier for the ladies of the house to use. Their job is to fort up and call the cavalry while I hunt goblins if worse comes to worse.

M&P40 on me 90% of the time, Sig P238 when I'm in PJs or running. I put a light on the M&P40 when its in the SpeedVault next to my bed. I also have Stackon safe in the bedroom with a Mossy 500 loaded with #8 bird and 00buck and an AR pistol in 5.56 with 40gr varmint loads. It will soon be converted to 300blk running subs. Witt Machine has a 16" 300blk with an integrated suppressor that I am going to sell a couple of pieces to pay for. I like the idea of a suppressed weapon for HD due to the hearing damage issue, and ARs are great for HD due to high magazine capacity, maneuverability, ease of use, accuracy, modularity, etc. Plus I am very familiar with them and they are almost as easy for my wife to use as the shotgun. I got heavy on the safes when the kid got big enough to start messing with the guns under the bed and on the night stand. I also wanted something to deter smash and grab thieves. If they have a few minutes, the Stackon doesn't stand a chance, but the rest of the guns are in my big safe downstairs and I am willing to risk it. I leave the SpeedVault open when not in use so that isn't ripped out of the stud if the gun isn't in it.
I have shot one opossum with my break-action 177 air-rifle, but that the extent of my dealing with critters. I am in a suburban neighborhood, and the neighbors all have dogs. I have see a bobcat and there are rumors of a cougar, but so far I haven't had to deal with much wildlife.
Side note, I really like the idea of the "Chinese" door frames or a trip wire or something, but these days a burglar trips and twists his ankle he is (successfully) suing you the homeowner for his medical bills and "emotional trauma". Not worth it in my book.

On the head board is a Springfield XD9 loaded with Hornady 135 gr + P with an old school Glock Light and beside the bed is an AR pistol 11.5 bbl loaded with XM193 and a Stream light.

And between me and the bedroom door is my wife who sleeps on that side of the bed so as Mr. T put it "I pity the fool that try's any funny business in our house."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top