JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I keep Joe Biden and his double-barreled shotgun at the ready in my bedroom, just in case - he's got a clear path to step outside and fire two shots in the air to scare the bad guys away:

Now, if for some unforeseen reason that doesn't work, I do keep a backup on hand: an M&P 40 with night sights and a light as well as an SP101 loaded with .38's for the wife, both securely locked up next to the bed (we've got a child in the house). There may be other guns in other locations, and they may be ready to use, but I can neither confirm nor deny such a rumor.

"Beware the man who owns only one gun", or however that goes. I have lots of guns, but I also believe that the one I carry should be the primary house gun and nightstand gun. One does not need complication when the house is being invaded, and your brain has turned to mush.

I do have other guns including long guns for defense, but they are the secondary guns.

We live out in the country on the top of a hill on a dead end road. Other than a tactical Siamese, the first line of defense is a mini 14 to investigate any noises in the night. Enough trees around we're not worried about neighbors

My EDC P239 for situation 1 cuz it's always on me.

Situation 2
Boring...and not very fancy.

Situation 3 calls for a budget project ensemble that ain't pretty...but it's dialed.

20141007_230250-1.jpg

20150211_183945-1.jpg

For a single home invader I also have my Charter Arms zBulldog Pug in .44 special loaded with 200 grain jhp handloads, and two speed loaders. There is my old Stevens Model 311 12 gauge double barrel, and I have buckshot ammo for it. Should the need arise, there is my older (when Marlin had good quality) Model 1894 lever action in .357 magnum and the 125 grain jhp ammo it likes. The only one I keep loaded is the Pug. If I can't take care of things with the Pug, then there would have to be a bunch of bad guys.
I'm now 62 and live in Hawaii. In Hawaii, you can't shoot someone unless 1.your life is in danger, and 2.you can't safely run out of your house. And, you can't shoot someone outside of your house unless they are shooting at you. Someone stealing your car? Shoot them and go to prison.

I might add that 40 years ago on my 22nd birthday, about 10:30 at night, someone smashed through my kitchen door in the rental house I was living in on 200th, just south of Sea Tac Airport. I held them at gunpoint till the cops came, with my first handgun, a Dan Wesson .357 magnum revolver. No shots fired. Bad guy arrested. I wore that gun out.

I wonder how many people consider what the concussion is going to do to their hearing and ability to concentrate after firing indoors with no hearing protection. I doubt too many.

I also went with the G21, but recently decided on my FNX45 with a stream light and night sights. The reasoning is that I did not feel cozy with a round in the chamber and on a light trigger ( I heard a story about a guy who ND'd his bedside G23 one night ) at the same time a home invasion is fast and close and you are not going to be wide awake, most likely you are going to be in shock. This tells me that it would be easy to forget to rack the slide so an empty chamber also useless.

With the FNX45 I can keep it hot with the hammer down and if necessary still engage a threat half awake under stress. The first DA shot is a bit heavy but not too much. I also carry this gun on hikes.

For me living in an apartment, a hand gun and light makes the most sense. I have arranged my furniture to create subtle barriers for a would be intruder while allowing me to take a good position half asleep. Home invasions are rare where I live and unlikely for me as I live above ground. So if bad guys are coming through my door at night it is not random.

I also keep my phone next to my gun along with another flash light. For an external threat to require a long gun a catastrophic event would have had to occur. I do keep the PWS AR close by just in case.

One thing that I think we all need to consider with home defense is that like self defense on the street it is important to know the legalities of where you live. Some states like California or NY could have laws that are detrimental to the law abiding armed citizen.

I wonder how many people consider what the concussion is going to do to their hearing and ability to concentrate after firing indoors with no hearing protection. I doubt too many.

Valid point, and something I think about ( looking for a good can) but I would take more hearing loss over what can happen if you do nothing.

Secondary concern over ending the bad guy. Alive & deaf > dead with intact hearing.

My Go To bump in teh night is an AR with dot sight, irons, and a TLR-1S. I like having 30 or 40 rounds in the gun vs the 15 in my carry pistol. More boolets in case there's more bad guys.

Actually quite a few.I have read many posts on here and have talked to people that were investigating suppressor ownership for this very reason
I'll do like Boris in the movie "Snatch" and put my ear plugs in before I shoot

I'm deaf anyways but don't count that as a weakness. o_OIf I see someone in my house late at night after I get that first jab in the ribs from the wife, God help em!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Well not being able to hear is an issue, but the concussion shock also scrambles your brains for a moment. Suppressor is a good choice.

1st go to gun is my 14rnd Taurus 45ACP longslide (yeah...I know....but it is a Kalifornia double action only model...the recall doesn't apply) loaded up with 185gr XTP's....my secondary is a 300Blk 8" pistol with 90gr XTP's moving at about 1800fps....

I have arranged my furniture to create subtle barriers for a would be intruder while allowing me to take a good position half asleep.

Yeah, there is a lot to do outside of guns themselves to make a home invasion fail.

I always wondered whether adding a "chinese door" in the house in one or two places would make sense. In the old buildings in china, the threshold is something like 6 or 8 inches tall, so you have to step over them to get in. The reason the chinese did this was because ghosts can't step over like that, so it keeps them out of the house. :) Anyway, you get used to stepping over these things after a while, but it would sure trip up anybody who came in while you were asleep.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top