JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There are all sorts of opinions about what makes the best home defense gun. Without criticizing what others use, what is your preferred criteria for a home defense weapon(s) and what do you use?

For me, I thought about it and decided there were three main threat scenarios. One is the home invasion scenario where you're more than likely awake with the lights on. Another is the night time intruder scenario where you've already gone to bed and the lights are out. The last is the 4 legged critters that can be harmful to pets and livestock.

My bedroom gun had the be able to be equipped for things that go bump in the night. It needed to be something that was easy to use, easy to have readily available, maneuverable within close quarters, capable of mounting a light for target identification, and was chambered in an effective caliber. I chose a Glock 17 with a weapon mounted light, chambered in 9mm and loaded up with 124gr GDHP +P.

For regular carry around the house, I wanted something small and easy to pack so I could carry it everywhere, including the bathroom. I thought it was logical to just keep my EDC on me when I got home. Right now, thats a Glock 26 in 9mm loaded with 124gr GDHP +P. I also have a Glock 19, but I just picked it up and it hasnt been fired or gained my trust.

My critter gun, which stays downstairs, is a Remington 870 turkey gun with a 23 inch barrel and full turkey choke. I load it up with lead BB shot. With the choke, I can reach out to 30 to 40 yards on animals as big as coyotes and still lay a hurt on them. There is also enough shot to cast an effective pattern. Ive used it on raccoons and coyotes with great results.

Last Edited:
I got kids, so my compromise is a Babe Eagle .40 with TLR-1HL in a hand gun safe under my bed. 180g Speer GoldDots.

Before kid, it was a Steyr AUG loaded with Hornady V-MAX.

Bed room Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44spl Win 200 gr Silvertips 3 spd loaders

Down stairs either a Rem Wingmaster 870 20" cly 8rd with 2 3/4" birdshot (longest shot in my house is 20ft it will still be in the cup) very close neighbors. Or an Inland M1 carbine .30M1 as issued stock with 30) 15rd mags all loaded.

No need for a critter gun we live in town in a tight old neighborhood. I'll kill the odd opossum with a ball bat or axe when I need to. gunshots just wake everyone up.

OH we also keep 3 ball bats and a couple other "non lethal" weapons handy in case we want to play with the bad guy first LOL.

Glock-30 w/Trijicon night sights, loaded with Hornady 230gr JHP+P. It's my EDC and nightstand gun. The wife has a Glock-19 with Trijicon night sights that I'm currently easing her into.

I also have three Mossberg-500's (for my wingmen) and a loaded Armalite M4-type carbine in the closet safe in my bedroom.

We're well armed, what are we afraid of? Not a damned thing, that's what!

Well maybe except for one of these crashing through my fence line...

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A lady friend wanted to try shooting her Mossberg 500 in 20 GA from the hip as she has wrist problems with the slide at the shoulder.

I decided to give it a try as well with my 12 GA Mossberg Persuader that I usually keep for my house gun. Works fine. I can any likely targets in the house with a hip shot. Makes life uncomplicated.

A lady friend wanted to try shooting her Mossberg 500 in 20 GA from the hip as she has wrist problems with the slide at the shoulder.

I decided to give it a try as well with my 12 GA Mossberg Persuader that I usually keep for my house gun. Works fine. I can any likely targets in the house with a hip shot. Makes life uncomplicated.

and boys in the hood shoot there hand guns sideways. Do you have wrist problems? Otherwise, why shoot that way and why brag about it?

Depend sehat end of the house I'm in.

Anywhere from 12g to 9mm and everything in between.

and boys in the hood shoot there hand guns sideways. Do you have wrist problems? Otherwise, why shoot that way and why brag about it?

Not a brag, just an observation. Never considered it before as I thought that aiming would be iffy. But it works at those short ranges and offers more options. For me a long gun is easier to steady when I'm full of adrenaline and why accept limits? Do we have PC shooting styles now?

Rem R1 Enhanced .45 acp in a pistol safe by the bed. I can go from sound asleep to pulling the trigger in around 4 sec. I carry a Ruger LC9 around the house in daylight.

EDC and within reach when I'm awake or not is a 9mm SCCY CPX-2.

Bump in the night, wife gets the 9mm and I grab a .357 mag gp100 and speed loader out of the handgun safe.

If I need more then that and I have 12ga low recoil buck shot in the bedroom safe and my dads Remington pump; as well as an AR15 with loaded mags and Ruger Gunsight Scout in .308 with loaded mags if we get to that point (but living in a neighborhood - the .308 is out unless it's SHTF).

Basement safe is a long opener so I have a hi-standard 1952 pump loaded with 00 buck and a 50 round bandolier with more buck shot and slugs in a locked closet in a secluded but accessible closet.

In town critter getter is either a break barrel pellet gun in .22 or a slingshot - maybe just an air soft pistol if it's the neighbors cat messing with my dogs but it's low power and won't put an eye out much less harm the thing; it just scares it off.

Out of town critter getter's:
.22mag Savage accutrigger w/3x9 scope

20ga SxS Stoeger Uplander

12ga Hi-Standard Pump w/adjustable choke.

.308win Ruger GScout w/4x scout scope for big game

Every major doorway has a baseball bat in the corner.

Large knives and some antique but perfectly useable short swords dispersed thru out the house.

(My wife thinks I get slightly more paranoid/overboard each year I add another layer to the house defenses but I just tell her I'll happily be wrong about needing to have weapons and survival gear/needs right at hand at some point in my life)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top