JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since I actually have some balls, I walk around with a 5-shot .38.
Hey, I love my Ruger LCRx, but Id rather have
When hunting and/or hiking, for yrs I carried a 329 PD loaded with 250 gr Keith style hardcast. Quit hunting and sold it as it wasn't really a range gun.
I just picked this (S&W 686 Plus Pro Series) up in the classifieds the other day. Changed the the grips from "show to go" ;) and have a DP fiber optic sight coming for it. I'll probably check out Buffalo Bore's hardcast 180 gr. for woods carry.

View attachment 649134
Thats a nice looking 686. I have one from the 90s I put similar Hogue grips on. Great firearm.

I don't hike anymore, but I've been known to wander around the woods here on my little piece of mountain.

I used to carry a 7.5" .44 mag Super Blackhawk, but now I carry a 3" Taurus 692 with seven .357 125gr. hollow points. I changed out the stock "ribber" grips for Hogues.

Here's the only pic I have of it at the moment.

20190529_165249.jpg

What does every one do when its raining out?

As noted above ...put a coat or jacket on.

I'll just dry off the firearm and give it a wipe down with an oily rag...then clean it when I get home or back to camp.
No real difference then when out with a rifle or shotgun during hunting season...it rains a lot then , where I live and hunt at least.
Andy

Between modern coatings and metals, a little moisture ain't no big deal. Hell, even the older stuff is fine as long as you don't leave them wet when you get back indoors.

Aint no pansies.

I don't hike anymore, but I've been known to wander around the woods here on my little piece of mountain.

I used to carry a 7.5" .44 mag Super Blackhawk, but now I carry a 3" Taurus 692 with seven .357 125gr. hollow points. I changed out the stock "ribber" grips for Hogues.

Here's the only pic I have of it at the moment.

View attachment 649237
I like the loadout. The Taurus is great, I like their 7 rd wheels, buddy of mine got one in .357 with a 6" I believe (been a while). I am a fan of Benchmade knives. Just have the one, in auto 20200113_091522.jpg

You guys who mentioned the 10㎜ now have me thinking about this. I did some research just now and the ballistics are most impressive. While the Glock is a damn fine piece, I prefer a SA/DA, steel/wood grips pistol. Any recommendations along these lines? Thanks. :D
The EAA Witness served me well in that capacity during my pre-Glock days of years past.. I was threatened and verbally abused by one of their phone-counter guys years ago when I called to order more magazines. So I divested, screw that! HOWever, the product is a good one and would fulfill your requirements, no sweat.

Wood and steel, double stack, 10mm DA/SA is my unicorn as well. Only Tanfo really doing it.

I've always considered trying out a Sig P227 frame with P220-10 slide. Supposedly the P220 in 45 slide works on the P227 frame..........

One day I'll get a P227 and try it.

Just picked up some Atomic Ammo 185 grain .45 JHP's from another member earlier. If the load data on the box is accurate - this stuff is indeed pretty wicked - 1225 FPS and 616 ft lb of energy at the muzzle. That's peppier than the .357 Mag loads posted up earlier in this thread, and not too far behind the 10mm auto stuff :confused: Gotta double check that my Kimber is +P rated (pretty sure it is) - this might tip the scales in favor of the 1911 as my woodsy gun over the Glock 22 now. I would be scared to run something that energetic out of a Glock 22, honestly. A Glock 20, or 21? No problem. A gen 3 G22? It would hurt, for one, and I've experienced case head seperation with a 9mm before, that was unpleasant. The G22's non fully supported chamber seems like that would really not play well with hot ammo. :eek:

I once carried this SW 65 3" but have transitioned to a Glock 29 with custom stippling. It's smallish, compactish, very grippy and holds 10 rounds. If I fall in the drink or slide down a hill it will survive and unlike the Smith, I don't worry about it's collector value.
IMG_7046.jpg 83833605_10218789516921305_4632641730800254976_n.jpg

When I hike or go camping I do prefer a full "kit"! Ya know a long rifle, full load out, nvg ect as ya never know when a small hike could turn into a full SHTF situation and a small hike could turn into a patrol. :rolleyes: dont20worry20sir20im20from20the20internetui7.jpg

but have transitioned to a Glock 29 with custom stippling. It's smallish, compactish, very grippy and holds 10 rounds. If I fall in the drink or slide down a hill it will survive and unlike the Smith, I don't worry about it's collector value.
View attachment 658494View attachment 658487

Its also easy enough, as I'm sure you know, to stick in the 15 rnd mag with a sleeve.

I like some insurance.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top