JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I guess it's time to fess up. JJ is right... Even though he's wrong most of the time.:s0114:
The three pounds of grey matter we were all born with, is the most important tool for survival. Having said that and being one that carries everyday, I would choose the pack of survival gear.
Can't believe I said that but I don't want to be one fo those mercenaries in a SHTF senario that steals what they want or need from others.
Nobody knows what the catastrophe would look like but I don't want to leave this world knowing I hurt someone because I could. This is based on the assumption that the other person was innocent. If it was a BG, all bets/assumptions are off.
Will
Thanks for getting us back on track Swoop.

OK so here is my total thought for shtf. You get a sea bag stuff with MRE some fire starter magnesium, hopefully you put some clothes in a plastic bag and vacuumed sealed so it stays dry and takes up less space. one rifle....for me a mosin 91/30 and one pistol.... tokarev they have already been tested in the field and the ammo is plentiful. As far as carrying ammo be like the squirrel and bury some of your bubblegum so you can go back and get more later. Also dont forget salt and pepper lets not be barbarians. we have big game lots of small animals and if it gets real bad ....people. a pot and a pan to cook and boil water with. water proof boots a must some space blankets and a machete and a knife. Dig some pitfalls around where im staying and I wont need to shoot an animal plus I dont waste ammo on food when I need it for zombies

I'm with you Will, but my fear is that the gangs will come as things become lawless. With out protection, we'll all be toast within a week or two. We plan on buggin in with supply of food, water ect. for two months. I feel that we have enough in the safe to protect us and what we have stored, but you never know.

You bring to mind "The Road". Yes, it was lawless gangs, and someone with just a bag of survival gear would have made for easy prey.

I have a one ton crew diesel with an enclosed trailer for bugging out but am ready to defend the homestead for awhile until things settled down.

However, getting back to the OPs question, my survival pack would have a knife, paracord, matches, socks...ipso facto pepto bismol, I could make a snare, catch a zombie, jamb a sock in its mouth and

set it's head on fire.:s0004:

Hey everyone its GunNoob again..

I know TONS of guys that think having a gun is all they really need to stay alive in a bad situation, WRONG. A gun will do a great deal for you in two ways.. protection and hunting. A gun will not keep you warm, start a fire, build a shelter, give you water, nor will it teach you any kind of skill you would need to survive in a hard time. You need to depend on yourself and the knowledge you have when it comes to survival. Whether you are in a city or on a mountain the skills you acquire before an "event" is what will really save your butt. I really believe that hands-on training is what you need in order to gain this experience.. To me, a gun is like a hammer, its a tool.. its made to do one thing.. Just think, if and when your survival becomes your daily priority would you rather have a gun with ammo.. or a bag of survival gear. I know people that would choose this one tool over many tools. If you choose the gun.. give me a few reasons why.
Just throwing this out there...thanks for reading.

I can't believe this thread is 3 pages long and no one has mentioned the episode of Surviorman, where Les Stroud used a rifle to start his camp fire? So yes, your gun CAN start a camp fire and therefore it CAN keep you warm. Besides, why are my only options a bag of survival gear or a gun? All my bags of survival gear come complete with a gun and lack nothing I need to spend multiple nights in the woods. I don't have to choose one tool, there is no reason to.

I can't believe this thread is 3 pages long and no one has mentioned the episode of Surviorman, where Les Stroud used a rifle to start his camp fire? So yes, your gun CAN start a camp fire and therefore it CAN keep you warm. Besides, why are my only options a bag of survival gear or a gun? All my bags of survival gear come complete with a gun and lack nothing I need to spend multiple nights in the woods. I don't have to choose one tool, there is no reason to.

Actually I did remember that episode when this thread popped up. However, I think that was a bad example since it took him like 15 rounds to do it and he ripped out the bullet from the casing (so technically the ammo started the fire). He did have a GREAT point on that episode, though. He drilled a hole in the rifle's stock to put more bullets in. I realize the benefit for bullets in, but why stop there? Why not throw in matches or a ferrocerium rod as well?

So, you can turn a rifle into your own little survival kit...

Well guys if the SHTF I'm staying home with my food storage, my guns, ammunition, water, etc. My wife, kids, and I will stand watch 24/7 locked and loaded. Careful venturing out into the woods. Plenty of armed hillbillies protecting their family, friends, food, water, shelter, etc. Don't get me wrong I'll feed you if you work for me but don't get wiley because I'll drop you like a stone too. If the SHTF survive on your own for a couple of months before even thinking about attempting to be friend me. I figure after a few months those still alive for the most part will be decent folks with survival skills and I'm more apt at that time to take a chance trusting a new face.

Actually I did remember that episode when this thread popped up. However, I think that was a bad example since it took him like 15 rounds to do it and he ripped out the bullet from the casing (so technically the ammo started the fire). He did have a GREAT point on that episode, though. He drilled a hole in the rifle's stock to put more bullets in. I realize the benefit for bullets in, but why stop there? Why not throw in matches or a ferrocerium rod as well?

So, you can turn a rifle into your own little survival kit...

You're actually thinking of two different episodes, but you are right, it took quite a few cartridges to get the fire going, and it probably isn't the best idea. However the OP didn't debates the merits of doing it, just simply that it couldn't be done. And since the rifle was an integral part of Les' method, he started a fire with a gun.

The episode where he did this was when he was North of the Arctic Cricle, pulling his own sled. He had a high caliber centerfire rifle with him as defense of polar bears, and it wasn't his, but loaned to him by a local. He was also told he had to take it. The episode where he has extra rounds in the but stock of a rifle is when he is dog sledding in the Labrador area of Canada and brings his own personal 22. He had extra rounds, as well as matches in the butt stock of the .22.

Ah, you're right...I remember now. When he had the .22 he found that cabin (didn't need the rifle to start the fire either). When he was trekking around with the rifle he used to start the fire was the scenario with the snow sled breaking down.

I'd take my go bag; it comes with a knife, hatchet, small axe, cable saw, fire starting gear, compass and altimeter, four space blankets, signal mirror and strobe, 300ft of parachute cord, two small game traps, water purification gear, MREs for four days for two, and a crank flashlight.

My point exactly.. and with the right knowledge you could use many of those tools as a form of protection.

However ALL the rest of those that you COULD use for protection, require closing with the individual from whom you are defending yourself. I'd just as soon keep the transaction at a distance thanks.

Last Edited:
Yes tv and movies are cool.. but until you go out and learn these skills lets not use them as an example..
Yes, there are alot of good and bad guys out there and if you think you can fight them all and win i'm pretty sure you wont last long. You can be as bad as you want on the inside.. but outside everyone is just as desperate and just as paranoid as you. All i'm saying is you need to depend on your brain, your knowledge, and choose your tools carefully. A gun is no better than the man using it. People forget that you can make your own weapons.. have we forgotten about the bow and arrow? Its silent.. just as deadly and its something you can make yourself. A gun is something you begin to depend on.. and when your ammo is out or something goes wrong with it.. what will you do? I dunno if UPS will be able to deliver a replacement part to you when the world is falling apart.. could be wrong..

Ok but I have a bow and arrows. I also am a veteran and very well trained. I have been in one gun fight. Since then I have been a volunteer fire fighter and EMT. I have animal traps , fish nets, ECT And a RV to hall it all to the mountains. The mountains I have scouted most of my life. So I'm telling you, you NEED A GUN. That's how you will be able to retain your supplies. You would not survive an encounter with me and the others in my group with out being well armed. This will also make you a less desirable target. And too much of a risk to engage you.

Respectfully.

You need to team up with a group of people skilled in all areas. Start stocking up on food,clothing,boots. Med supplies. Trauma kits. Including kwick clot. Weapons ammo mags. Try to get the same weapons as the rest in your group, that way you can all use the same ammo and mags. Gun parts would also be interchangeable.

Last post on this from me.

Good Luck and stay prepared!

Despite your training and crew you will not be taking my supplies. I think your plan to be a roaming gang is p poor. Oh sure you might get along okay for awhile (week maybe a month) but eventually the good honest people will cut you down. I got a better idea invest more in your survival. Store more food, med suplies, etc. and less lead. Plan on protecting your stuff, not killing those that have stuff.

If times where that bad. I would use my gun to take your supplies.
I'm the nut? Your the one telling us that your going to kill us for our suff with your crew...
I'm telling you that I'm not the only one out in the woods that is armed to the teeth, with plenty of supplies that are planning on staying home and protecting our stuff from the likes of your crew. Who sounds more nuts you or me? My comunity will come together to protect each other and your crew will not survive when you attempt to take our stuff.

I can't speak for others that have posted on this (even if they seem to be on the same wave length as my self). My statement was not meant to say that I would go rogue aggressor, not at all. I have a plan, supplies, and a BOL if I need it. I do plan to stay at home with supplies as long as I can. But if it is a compleat break in civilization for a while I do not plan on falling victim to rogues either. I feel that state of mind and preparedness are key to ANY situation. I also feel that the lack of a fire arm leaves you 100% pray to any one who does have a fire arm. A gun is a game changer, and I refuse to give that upper hand willingly to any one.
I do feel that your head, and a few essential tools are all you need to have the best chance possible, but a firearm is one of those essential tools in my book ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top