JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When you have all of the scenarios for when "SHTF" figured, and have configured the perfect survival kit that encompasses everything that one would NEED.... let me know. Until then, thanks for your wishes of "luck" GunNoob.

Hey everyone its GunNoob again..

I know TONS of guys that think having a gun is all they really need to stay alive in a bad situation, WRONG. A gun will do a great deal for you in two ways.. protection and hunting. A gun will not keep you warm, start a fire, build a shelter, give you water, nor will it teach you any kind of skill you would need to survive in a hard time. You need to depend on yourself and the knowledge you have when it comes to survival. Whether you are in a city or on a mountain the skills you acquire before an "event" is what will really save your butt. I really believe that hands-on training is what you need in order to gain this experience.. To me, a gun is like a hammer, its a tool.. its made to do one thing.. Just think, if and when your survival becomes your daily priority would you rather have a gun with ammo.. or a bag of survival gear. I know people that would choose this one tool over many tools. If you choose the gun.. give me a few reasons why.
Just throwing this out there...thanks for reading.

A gun can't do anything but hunt or protect? I guess you've never fired a Mosin Nagant! I'm sure I could make a shelter and start a fire with it!

Anyhoot, I choose Mosin Nagant (hands down) for overall survival because of many reasons...

#1 High Caliber. A 7.62x54R can penetrate a LOT of crap. From cars to bears, I'm sure the Mosin could drop it.
#2 Low Cost. For just a little under $100, this gun is more than affordable for any purpose.
#3 Available, Cheap Surplus Ammunition. Because the RPK and SVD variants still shoot 7.62x54R, the Russians still make this stuff like they're preparing for the Germans to jump boarders again.
#4 Quality Manufacturing. This gun was made in the 1940s and still dropping bodies faster than Ted Kennedy can speed-dial a lawyer. I can also punch all five rounds in a dollar piece at 100 meters. Not bad for a 60 year old rifle!

This is just like when a friend of mine said to me "You can't eat that gun."on a cross country trip once as we were discussing how he was better prepared to survive a disaster than me because he had his car stocked with food, water, and camping equipment and I just had a small amount of supplies and a pistol with ammo. My reply was "You are right. I cannot eat the gun, but with my gun I could easily put myself into a position where I could eat you...and then eat your supplies too." :)

A couple of suggestions:
1. A bug out bag is a suicide plan unless you have a bug out location to go to.
2. If you plan on taking someone's supplies with the use of your gun, consider that they will have guns too and you will likely die trying.
3. If you succeed in murdering someone and his wife and children (what you will be doing if you take their supplies) you will have to repeat this course of action
over and over as you exhaust the supplies that you stole from them.
4. As you repeat this action you must enter into endless gunfights killing endless amounts of innocent people. Eventually you will lose a fight and die.

You people need to have a plan that involves self reliance, you need to prep before something happens or you will not survive, no matter how many guns you have or how much ammunition you have.

Also, I would say that trading guns and ammo is a very very bad idea in a shtf situation. It will get you killed just as easily as not having food will get you killed.

I believe that having firearms is important, but, how many? One gun and lots of ammo or several guns of various calibers and a little ammo for each. The more I think about it, the more I realize that a gun is only ONE tool in the set (sort of like mechanics have wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, etc.). I have purchased water purification tablets, fire starters (I don't smoke, but cigarette lighters work wonderfully!). I have a folding shovel, first aid kit, a tote full of freeze dried foods and many other items. I am trying to figure out ONE rifle and One handgun and plenty of ammo for these two. Another thing, one person can only carry so much gear, so what is most important?

Another quick tip,
Carry a few road flares. Smaller ones if possible. When you out in the NW woods and the rain a flare makes a great fire starter. It won't go out and will burn long enough to get a good fire started. I used to carry them in my search pack and a little bottle with some gas in it.

And need a comfy bed? The NW is jam packed full of ferns. Pick a bunch of these and they make really comfortable bedding.
And get a pocket sized book of the plant life in your area. You can carry these to know what you can and can't eat.

A well thought out bug out bag can help you survive for months in the right environment. And a must have gun is a 22lr and a brick of ammo. It's light and can kill 90% of the animal life in the woods that can give you food for years. Why carry a heavy rifle. You going to knock down an elk? And put it where? In your fridge your carrying on your back? A good squirrel or rabbit make a great meal and no waste.

Other than the expense (and what price to you put on your life and the ones you love?) Why not keep a hand gun and ammo in your go bag? I have fire starting stuff, a couple liters of water a 4 or 5 lb costco bag of trail mix, some knives, a few of those foil space blankets, some disposable raincoats, chemical handwarmers, spare socks and several other items and am still stocking it but all that stuff could easily belong to someone else in a SHTF situation without a gun and some brains to help me keep it.

So many variables on what a SHTF situation could be you just need to be flexible in your thinking, my go bag is just there to help me survive the initial disaster (presuming than I am not a victim of this hypothetical problem).

Of intrest to me is for years I have heard men complain there CCW gun was too heavey yet people here have suitcases full of survival gear they lug around.:s0112::s0112: How much does a mosin weigh along with enough ammo for the trip? Add in road flares and gasoline and water and ...

If a man complains about his CCW dragging his pants down will he be able to lug all that gear?

jj

Of intrest to me is for years I have heard men complain there CCW gun was too heavey yet people here have suitcases full of survival gear they lug around.:s0112::s0112: How much does a mosin weigh along with enough ammo for the trip? Add in road flares and gasoline and water and ...

If a man complains about his CCW dragging his pants down will he be able to lug all that gear?

jj
+1

Thank you for pointing out this often overlooked fact

A couple of suggestions:
1. A bug out bag is a suicide plan unless you have a bug out location to go to.
2. If you plan on taking someone's supplies with the use of your gun, consider that they will have guns too and you will likely die trying.
3. If you succeed in murdering someone and his wife and children (what you will be doing if you take their supplies) you will have to repeat this course of action
over and over as you exhaust the supplies that you stole from them.
4. As you repeat this action you must enter into endless gunfights killing endless amounts of innocent people. Eventually you will lose a fight and die.

You people need to have a plan that involves self reliance, you need to prep before something happens or you will not survive, no matter how many guns you have or how much ammunition you have.

Also, I would say that trading guns and ammo is a very very bad idea in a shtf situation. It will get you killed just as easily as not having food will get you killed.

+1. I wish more people had the mindset of storing food and supplies for a "rainy day" instead of planning on winging it with guns in a SHTF situation. I think things would devolve into anarchy pretty quick, and we as Americans, neighbors, and human beings have a responsibility to keep order and morality in place as much as possible. I've never been to war, but every man I've talked to who has told me that violence should always be the last course of action, and I happen to agree. Just my 2 cents.

Another quick tip,
Carry a few road flares. Smaller ones if possible. When you out in the NW woods and the rain a flare makes a great fire starter. It won't go out and will burn long enough to get a good fire started. I used to carry them in my search pack and a little bottle with some gas in it.

And need a comfy bed? The NW is jam packed full of ferns. Pick a bunch of these and they make really comfortable bedding.
And get a pocket sized book of the plant life in your area. You can carry these to know what you can and can't eat.

A well thought out bug out bag can help you survive for months in the right environment. And a must have gun is a 22lr and a brick of ammo. It's light and can kill 90% of the animal life in the woods that can give you food for years. Why carry a heavy rifle. You going to knock down an elk? And put it where? In your fridge your carrying on your back? A good squirrel or rabbit make a great meal and no waste.

+1 for the logic in this post. If you have to bug out you're going to need to be light and mobile and trying to mimic the current loadout of our soldiers isn't going to do much more then make you slow and tired.

-d

Another quick tip,

Excellent post.

Maybe some of you should read the OP's original post. The question was would you take guns & ammo "OR" bag of survival gear?? Not the kitchen sink. :confused:

Haha these things tend to get out of hand.. I was just trying to remind people that a gun is only one tool, that they should carry many more and have the right skills in ANY situation or scenario.. whether you are stuck in the mountains or civil unrest breaks out..

Hey everyone its GunNoob again..

I know TONS of guys that think having a gun is all they really need to stay alive in a bad situation, WRONG. .. Just think, if and when your survival becomes your daily priority would you rather have a gun with ammo.. or a bag of survival gear. I know people that would choose this one tool over many tools. If you choose the gun.. give me a few reasons why.
Just throwing this out there...thanks for reading.

If I were in a city I would probably chose a gun as it would better suit those threats to my immediate survival. However as soon as I got out of the city and out of the suburbs I would want a bag of survival gear (hatchet, tent, knife, rope, first aid, fishing gear, e-tool, extra clothes, etc...)

Perhaps the guys you know are thinking of staying in the city and living off what it has to offer for as long as it lasts? That said, a good question would be what kind of skills would you need to live in a city post bad situation vs. those skills needed in the foothills / mountains. Are they the same? You certainly don't need to know how to build a shelter in the city... it's everywhere. There isn't going to be much game in the city to eat so knowing how to gut/skin/quarter isn't going to be useful... many think the game will run out in a matter of days in the hills as well so this is a debatable skill in any environment. Fire starting in a city, I would think would be as easy as walking into any restaurant / hotel and picking up a book of matches or corner store for a lighter. Warmth in the city is easy as there are so many dwellings/hotels with countless blankets... and a cars interior is plenty warm....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top