JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In another thread glockguy asked how people justify their firearms purchases. Do they just buy a gun because they want it or do they need to justify it by having a specific need in mind? I myself like to think I am very practical these days and only buy what I need but I am very good at overcomplicating things in the name of self delusion.

For those of us that feel a deep need to justify our purchases I thought it might be fun to see some of the reasons (often very weak, contrive, or almost comical in some instances) we come up with to make us feel good about our purchase.

So this thread is a place to list your firearms (or just some of them) and the reasons you bought them. That way the rest of us can see that we are not the only crazy ones...or we can see that most people are not nearly as nuts as we would like to think. Plus, it is great time killer for those of us that are bored off our rear ends sitting watching bad Disney TV programs with our kids on a rainy sunday. :)

My list of excuses is as follows. Some are good reasons and some are not so good. Some might even betray a very fanciful imagination...if not downright paranoia. :)

Rifles

.223 Colt M4: This is an easy one. This is my SHTF weapon. You can't beat a short barreled .223 semi-auto with a folding stock for a basic on the run firearm. I bought it in case I ever need to be on the move.

.308 DPMS Panther: This is my "hunkered down" defensive firearm. It is 20" barrel with a fixed stock. It would be great for perimeter defense. This reason is a bit more far fetched. I bought it mainly for home defense if things went bad.

45/70 1895 Guide Gun: Everyone needs a buffalo, bear, moose gun...right??? I mean you never know when a moose is going to wander into your home. I bought it mainly for camping.

Semi-Auto handguns

.380 Seecamp LWS: A go everywhere anytime gun. A real "I can't carry a gun" gun. A .380 pistol that can slip into any pocket with ease and still be reliable and accurate. This is a must have. There is not a good reason to not own a Seecamp if you CC. I bought it to slip in my back pocket for runs to the store or walks around the neighborhood.

.380 Walther PPK: Because Bond had one...reason enough, right? Plus, add a shoulder holster, martini glass, and a tux and you have a very cool halloween costume. I bought it because it is a cool piece of entertainment/firearms history.

9mm Rohrbaugh R9s: The pinnacle of concealable 9mm pistols. The gun is a must have for CCW when you feel the need for a powerful gun but have very little room on your body to conceal. I bought it for carry while at work.

.40S&W Kahr PM40: Great EDC. Small, light, slim, and chambered in a powerful round. I bought this for EDC while out and about in casual clothes when the weather is warmer.

.40S&W Kahr MK40: A super small, all stainless powerhouse. I bought this for EDC during warmer weather when I am in the mood for an all-steel gun with a bit fatter grip than the PM40.

.40S&W Kahr K40: A slightly larger version of the MK40 above with an extra round and more stable grip size. I bought it as a carry gun for days when I could conceal a little extra gun but not a huge gun.

.40S&W Glock 27: A very reliable and easy to conceal gun. I bought this as my glovebox gun for my car. It is great for those times you leave home without your carry gun.

.40S&W SA XD-40SC: Same deal as the Glock 27 but for the other car.

.40S&W H&K USPc: This is a very nice gun. It has high capacity and is very powerful and versatile. I would always trust my life to H&K quality. I bought this one as my survival bag gun.

.40S&W Sig P229 Elite Carry Stainless: This is an awesome gun. It is chambered in a very effective round, has a high capacity mag, and top notch quality. I bought it as my EDC for colder weather when concealment is not an issue because you never know when you might need that extra capacity...plus, it is heavy enough to use as a club if you run out of ammo.

.45acp Detonics MC1: A piece of northwest firearms history. I bought this as a restoration project and keepsake.

.45acp Colt Officer's Model 1911: A simple and classic powerhouse in an easily concealed size. I bought it for days I want the extra punch of a .45acp but do not have a lot of extra room to conceal a larger gun.

.45acp Colt Combat Commander: The bigger brother for the Officer's model above. I bought it as my winter EDC. Every gun lover should own a commander size 1911 IMHO.

.45acp Sig P220 Elite Carry Stainless: A very nice gun chambered in a very powerful round that has the advantage of being DS/SA. I bought it as my HD/nightstand gun. I also deluded myself into thinking I might also carry it sometimes in the winter. I think I mainly bought it because it was pretty and had fancy red wood grips.

Revolvers

.357mag S&W m60-14: One of the most proven back-up or carry guns available. I bought this as an EDC for those days I want the simplicity and reliability of a revolver. This is another gun I think all gun lovers should own.

.357mag S&W m640-1: Basically a m60 with no hammer. I bought this one as an EDC revolver to replace the m60 but then decided I like the SA capability of the m60. Still can't seem to part with it though.

.357mag S&W m66 no dash: I bought thun simply because it is a hard to find gun and possibly the best .357mag revolver ever made. I could not come up with a practical reason to buy it (since I would never actually take it out and risk damaging it) so I convinced myself it is a collectors item.

.357mag S&W m686 Pro-Series: This is a very nice revolver with a 4" barrel. It is powerful and extremely accurate. I bought it as a camping gun. There is something about camping that makes me want a revolver.

.357mag Colt Python: This is a true classic and I bought it simply to pass down to my son...and to show off at the range every now and then. That is enough reason for me on this one

.44mag Colt Anaconda: Another classic with a huge bite. I bought this gun for those times when I am camping and feel I need the extra punch. You never know when you will be in southern Oregon and need to stop a charging hippo or an angry bear wearing a heavy down-filled coat.

First off PlayboyPenguin if you listed all your guns on here and their purpose you would take up 10 pages of this thread yourself... so i kinda hate you in a nice way:)

Rifle

Delton AR15 .223 - Like PlayboyPenguin said its a Great SHTF gun... and fairly lite to carry if on the run...

HANDGUNS

Sig p239 .40 - I got this gun cause I heard sigs were good guns and this one was a good deal... and it has become my main carry gun..

Sig P238 .380 - I got this for the purpose of a back up, or for if im gonan go on a walk i can just put it in my pocket.

Glock 27 .40 - This was the the first carry gun i got, but after getting my P239 I dont carry it, only time i do is if i am going to be somewhere where the weather is gonna be nasty, since glock is well known for is durability, im not scared if it gets a lil wet or dirty.

Tanfoglio/EAA Witness P .40 - I bought this 1) because it was a good deal, and 2) because i figure i can always use a gun that never leaves my drawer...

First off PlayboyPenguin if you listed all your guns on here and their purpose you would take up 10 pages of this thread yourself... so i kinda hate you in a nice way:)

Rifle

Delton AR15 .223 - Like PlayboyPenguin said its a Great SHTF gun... and fairly lite to carry if on the run...

HANDGUNS

Sig p239 .40 - I got this gun cause I heard sigs were good guns and this one was a good deal... and it has become my main carry gun..

Sig P238 .380 - I got this for the purpose of a back up, or for if im gonan go on a walk i can just put it in my pocket.

Glock 27 .40 - This was the the first carry gun i got, but after getting my P239 I dont carry it, only time i do is if i am going to be somewhere where the weather is gonna be nasty, since glock is well known for is durability, im not scared if it gets a lil wet or dirty.

Tanfoglio/EAA Witness P .40 - I bought this 1) because it was a good deal, and 2) because i figure i can always use a gun that never leaves my drawer...
Actually, the ones I listed are pretty much all I have now (except for a couple collectors pieces in my safe deposit box). I really scaled my collection back before we adopted Zyler. Now I have a hard time justifying a new gun since I feel I have most of the bases covered. Also, I would much rather spend that $500+ I would drop on a new gun on a weekend at the beach or a trip to an amusement park with our new son.

...Plus, it is great time killer for those of us that are bored off our rear ends sitting watching bad Disney TV programs with our kids on a rainy sunday. :)

Mine are taking a bath, just for the fun of it. I can't wait to see how much water ends up on the bathroom floor. :s0131:

I just ordered my very first gun yesterday - a S&W M&P 9c. This is an all-purpose gun, meant for home defense and concealed carry, at least until I can save up enough money to get another, smaller one.

The thought process involved in getting to this point was long and convoluted... basically my boyfriend got me re-interested in guns, I started acknowledging that the world is not as safe as I'd like it to be for me and my daughters, and the M&P 9c fits my hands like it was made for me.

I also discovered that I'm pretty good at shooting, I need to feel like I can take care of myself when he isn't around, and guns have fascinated me since I was a teenager. My boyfriend was an ideal mentor in this endeavor - very patient, answered a zillion silly gun questions, and let me try everything out at my own pace.

So now I'm all excited about owning my first gun while realizing this is probably the beginning of a very slippery slope.

Mini 14good all around Plinking/varmit caliber in a fun platform...didn't like the AR platform at the time, and got a great deal with 6 high cap mags before the sunset and still hard to come by

1911 officerwanted to try the platform for a second possible CCW...now my EDC.

1911 5" Kimber Custom IIcant have a 1911 without owning a Kimber

Savage 1907 .32 ACP got a great deal on it..$15 ata yard sale...no justification needed.

Ruger 10/22/ Browing Buckmark / Ruger MK I teaching the kids/inexpensive practice and plinking

Savage 93/17 17HMR great for small game hunting

Browning BAR 30.06 gift for Christmas and great for all around hunting

multiple shotgunsskeet shooting/Bird hunting/HD

Disclaimer...I wanted them...

Red Ryder BB gun:Every boy should have one of these, good for just about any pest that might come into the yard.
Zastava EZ9:Daily go to pistol.
Maverick 88 field:Good for everthing from skeet to moose.
1943 Mosin Nagant Izzy 91/30:Plinking, hunting, project.
Ruger 10/22:The goto long gun. Because makeing hits count is better then missing.

Browning Challenger II - Plinking / pretty / Different
Keltec P3AT - CCW
XDm9 - Home self-defence / Range gun
HK45 (not USP) - Hunting sidearm / Range gun / Something different

Marlin Papoose 70p - Project / Plinking / Survival
Marlin Model 60ss - Target / plinking / Pretty
Winchester Centennial '66 (30-30) - Collector, though I have been considering shooting this one
Winchester Teddy Roosevelt 1967 (30-30) - Collector
WWII large ring German Mauser (.270 win) - Heirloom / Hunter / Cool factor
Stoeger O/U 12 guage - Had to have a 12 gauge, never shot it.

Three or four of my guns are tools for a specific purpose, whether that be carry, competition, or hunting. The rest are toys. I have no wife, children, or at the moment, even a girlfriend to spend money on, so my toy collection grows... :)

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to list their inventory and perceived uses on the internet... Back to the question at hand. I don't need to justify any purchase of any item to anybody.

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to list their inventory and perceived uses on the internet... Back to the question at hand. I don't need to justify any purchase of any item to anybody.

And, short of a clinical level of paranoia, I cannot figure why anyone would have a problem with it. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top