JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 1074715

Now you know. Welcome unto The Fold, Brother Mike...
You know? You could compare those raw slimy oysters to ALL kinds of disgusting things? When I could taste the subtle differences in varieties it was special. Netarts were, and still are, some of the cleanest tasting, and cleanest shells that I've had over the years. We still get them. Wifey loves a fresh raw oyster, or six, from time to time. I eat 'em cooked.

Last Edited:
Smoked salmon is good.

8A35BA63-0E06-4DDC-B333-74730BCC59C9.jpeg

352DD290-740C-48E7-8F22-6E5FA90CAFA9.jpeg

Ling for fish n chips

24E56C12-F4D5-4665-8735-97B84D54AE94.jpeg

Panko black rockfish is tough to beat

14C2FE0A-43EF-4D67-9354-4D511CC7AA44.jpeg

Salmon so fresh it doesn't know it's dead yet

36C4BB2D-63D2-47A9-9777-A2AFB438F3EA.jpeg

42E19ADE-0133-4D36-8D2C-F3F49C385CEA.jpeg

And of course, crab

9562CF7E-0EBD-4AB2-ADBD-4DC4947F0BEA.jpeg

Not bad

01827DE6-8928-4E20-B802-A31F19BF20CB.jpeg

Dungeness Crab, (Cream Puffs)
Mix fresh picked crab with cream cheese and spread on a slightly toasted, (1/2) of an English Muffin, top with a thin slice of Cheddar Cheese and place under broiler until the cheese melts. Serve hot. YUM !!

Shari's Lemming marang pie, or any kind of Marionberry pie.

Sorry, it's not exactly your everyday seafood, I know, but I can't mention the best fish & chips in the PNW for fear of being accused of favouritism. So I'll just post a pic of me and Mrs tac standing near some building in Port Orford ant some of you might recognise....

1647114316998.png

Last Edited:
I like it all and can't pick a favorite! Smoked black cod, sturgeon and salmon would be near the top and fish chowder made with black cod. Then there's steamed Netarts bay oysters, especially Kumamotos. We called them Yoko Onos because of the resemblance. I don't think it's been mentioned, but mussels are delicious steamed, and other than the shell fish license and a catsclaw or claw hammer you don't need any equipt to harvest them. I think the limit is 75 now, down from 150 when I was getting them in the '90s.

Sea Cucumbers, if you can get enough of them. (at least a dozen) Stip the meat from the hide and treat it just like clam meat. mixed together with Razor clams it makes a tasty chowder. We call it, "Slug Soup". :rolleyes:

The question ought to be:
What local Northwest seafood do you hate?

I'd eat any of it. @Capn Jack there would have to prepare that sea cucumber for me though. I'd even try those sea urchin gonads if I got them outa' the urchin pulled fresh from the rock it was living on.

I'm going to be the weird one, one of my regular catches and a staple in my house is dogfish.

I know I know, some people have a thing about eating sharks and a lot hate dogfish, but I can tell you with honesty it is a damn good eating fish when prepared correctly.

I'm going to be the weird one, one of my regular catches and a staple in my house is dogfish.

I know I know, some people have a thing about eating sharks and a lot hate dogfish, but I can tell you with honesty it is a damn good eating fish when prepared correctly.
I've eaten shark which is quite good but never dogfish. I hear you either have to soak the meat or skin while they are basically still alive to keep urea from tainting meat. What is your method?

I've eaten shark which is quite good but never dogfish. I hear you either have to soak the meat or skin while they are basically still alive to keep urea from tainting meat. What is your method?
I behead and fillet them and put them on ice as soon as they come in the boat.

When I'm home I skin them then soak for about 2 hrs in a milk/salt solution and then treat them like cod, typically with a nice beer batter or panko breading

Edit: for clarification, it's not so much a filleting. More of a beheading, gutting and taking the dorsals off, then butterflying it towards the tail (leave the tail for now, it helps when you go to skin later)

Last Edited:
The question ought to be:
What local Northwest seafood do you hate?

I'd eat any of it. @Capn Jack there would have to prepare that sea cucumber for me though. I'd even try those sea urchin gonads if I got them outa' the urchin pulled fresh from the rock it was living on.
Mike , just use a pair of scissors and cut the Sea Cucumber end to end and lay it out flat. Then, you can use your fingers to strip the meat from the hide. Treat the meat just like you would clamstrips. We grind ours and add it to clam chowder. :)
It's hard to snag enough Sea Cucumbers with a hook to make it worthwhile. I used to collect bags of them while SCUBA diving. :s0023:

*Don't be squeamish if the meat still moves a little. :eek: I've had chunks of goat meat left on the hide sit there and quiver. :D

Last Edited:
Mike , just use a pair of scissors and cut the Sea Cucumber end to end and lay it out flat. Then, you can use your fingers to strip the meat from the hide. Treat the meat just like you would clamstrips. We grind ours and add it to clam chowder. :)
It's hard to snag enough Sea Cucumbers with a hook to make it worthwhile. I used to collect bags of them while SCUBA diving. :s0023:

*Don't be squeamish if the meat still moves a little. :eek: I've had chunks of goat meat left on the hide sit there and quiver. :D
At this point in my life, having lost sense of smell and taste almost completely, I won't be experimenting with things like that anymore. There's some weirdness that happens, in you mind and your mouth when that happens. Ray oysters would be a solid PASS now. Breaded fried, maybe. Crab? Saved money this year. Not sure even if I could taste I would have given them the money anyway though.

Moving meat? Sturgeon meat will still twitch TWO days after filleting and trimming. That's' why a person should let sturgeon rest for three days after processing.

I enjoy most seafood (especially shellfish) but I'd say that my two favorites would be catfish for freshwater and eel for saltwater. I just wish the PNW had some more gigantic catfish like other places in the US, but our little ones are still tasty!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top