JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Caveman also loves the ocean fresh white meat like Lingcod and halibut...
I made this a few weeks ago as a matter of fact....

D41B0552-E131-4B17-A8B1-D80F21A79687.jpeg

Dungeness Crab ( boil in water with salt)
Small Trout (pan fry with salt, pepper, garlic powder)
Shrimp (pan fry with salt, pepper, garlic powder) (boil in water with salt)
Razor Calms (breaded and pan fried)
Gooey Duck (chopped and made into chowder, wife knows the recipe not me:p)

The PNW is the best place to live in the country (if not world). The worst we get every once and a blue moon is a earthquake (rare).
We have it all.......best hunting, fishing, mountains, rivers, ocean accessibility, all four seasons (eastern part of the mountains)

Last Edited:
I love just about any seafood as long as it's fresh. When I say fresh, I mean out of the water and into the pan/pot.

That being said, fresh Kodiak Red Crab is my favorite. Problem is, you had to live there and have a subsistence permot and pot to catch it. Next is Weathervane Scallops. We used to get them from a crew member onboard when the tied up to us while waiting to deliver. They were about 3-4" across, and about 1 1/2-2" thick. You had to cut them into several pieces in order to eat them. Ling Cod or Halibut cheeks next.

We had a crewman on the salmon seiner that was an actual chef. He could make some grub! Ever have Sockeye cheeks? They are beyond good, but a serious pain in the butt to cut out enough for four grown men. He could make anything taste great, but some of his dishes were indescribably good.

I sure do miss that...

Crab, no bout adoud it!

Oysters too.

Fresh tuna.

Smoked salmon. Fresh Salmon sushi.

Clams in garlic butter.

Fresh bottomfish of most any species. But fresh Lingcod fish n chips is fab!

I miss Spring Run Chinook that would walk up to my grandfather's house and say, John we want to keep fishing on your beach, can we stay with you ?
My grand parents owned the area that is part of the Willow Grove boat dock and park. My great grandparents bought the property from the original homesteaders, then my grandparents inherited the property.
I miss the salmon, steelhead, razor clams, geoducks, oysters, and my grandmother's Sula Kala (Salt Salmon).

Let me say. I don't usually eat fish, other than the occasional white fish. It's purely psychological. It stems from childhood memories when my mother
worked in a cannery and that was all we had to eat. Later in life it took me a while to realize, "Calamari" was just a damned 'ole squid. (Trash Fish)

Now Dungeness Crab, that's something altogether different. Mix that crab with cream cheese, spread it on an English Muffin halves, top with a slice of Cheddar and
lightly toast it in the broiler.... Just like eating Cream Puffs....

Sea Cucumbers are good too. We add them to Razor Clams and make what we call, "Slug Soup". Face bigsmyl.gif

CB8F74DA-114C-4126-9C74-F2BD10B7EF98.jpeg

Crab-topped English muffins with mushrooms, Swiss cheese, green onions.

Catch crab, keep alive. Process at noon, steam at 3, crack at 4, bake at 5, eat at 6.

Zoom in on the pic. It's a killer.

P

Inspired by a couple of active threads here, I thought I'd toss this out, considering we live in a beautiful region filled with a great many ponds, lakes, streams, tributaries, rivers, and the ocean, teaming with much bounty:

• What are some of your favorite species from fresh and salt water sources?
  • Have any delightful recipes to share?
Enjoy, friends. :D
Steelhead. Baked. Lemon juice squirted on top.

Salmon. It's Kosher.

I've just had another look just to make sure, but I STILL can't find ANY mention of Dungeness crabs, lobsters, prawns etc in Deuteronomy, so, until I see that sorted out, I'll leave them to the rest of you gentiles :)
Right. Crabs, lobsters, shrimp, and shellfish aren't kosher.

I like it all except for the Dungeness crab, that stuff cramps me up and turns everything in me to liquid in a matter of minutes. you know the rest of the story.

Dad would catch steelhead in the front yard and mom would deepfry it back in the 70's
Oh so good.
Summer steelhead caught from the Columbia down in this neighborhood, or lower, was better eating than most fall chinook! They had a ton of fat in them. Not as much as springers, but they were lacking the chinook stink/flavor. Not that there's anything WRONG with the chinook stink/flavor though. That was the old days though, before the desire for salmon/steelhead petting zoos instead of good sized catchable numbers of those delicious, North West icons.

If it comes from the sea it is good. Hawaiian proverb

Oysters on the half shell is my personal favorite.
We make oyster runs from time to time to Netarts Bay. Found a guy with his phone # on a pole down there. It's common to get his oysters that he came of the bay with that morning. You like 'em raw? That's the kind you want. Not those that have been in a case, or cooler, for three days.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top