JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Inspired by a couple of active threads here, I thought I'd toss this out, considering we live in a beautiful region filled with a great many ponds, lakes, streams, tributaries, rivers, and the ocean, teaming with much bounty:

• What are some of your favorite species from fresh and salt water sources?
  • Have any delightful recipes to share?
Enjoy, friends. :D

Hard choice. I would have to say It would be a three way tie between Sockeye, Dungeness crab and spot prawns. 82DEB833-19C6-4CA7-A562-141BB8F26265.jpeg 3D4B740D-48F4-45B7-89B4-CEA036C0510A.jpeg 5547C7F5-39CE-4B23-8BE8-17AF626BC57B.jpeg FDEDA2B4-345D-4BA3-94D5-5B300839F974.jpeg 54F2968C-79F0-4B7A-95B6-D58B1F51ED64.jpeg

I love most all of NW seafood, but razor clam chowder is probably my favorite. The Embarcadero in Newport used to have the best, but it has been a while since I stayed there. I used to take a couple of quarts home with me.

Inspired by a couple of active threads here, I thought I'd toss this out, considering we live in a beautiful region filled with a great many ponds, lakes, streams, tributaries, rivers, and the ocean, teaming with much bounty:

• What are some of your favorite species from fresh and salt water sources?
  • Have any delightful recipes to share?
Enjoy, friends. :D

Crab, hands down! Second is the clam chowder made by the Tea Room in Brookings.

For fresh water it would be largemouth and smallmouth bass. Soooo mild!!!

Probably pacific halibut, I think the wife like the dungeness, full freezer of both right now. I forgot to mention Newt, my crazy cat digs the crab, its kind of annoying though.

Crab, pink shrimp, and ocean bottom fish. A fourth would be sturgeon.

Although salmon, steelhead and trout have always been a plentiful catch for me, they are too fishy for my taste.

I'm a huge fan of salmon candy...
Fillet the salmon or steelhead, cut 3" steaks of the fillets.
Pour about 2 cups worth of soy sauce in a bowl, mix with a cup and a half or so of water, 3/4 bag of brown sugar, add about a table spoon of pepper, a few quartered garlic cloves, a table spoon of lemon juice... pretty much sweet and salty to taste. ;)
Soak salmon at over night turning occasionally.
Smoke anywhere from 160-190 for about 4 hours over alder and apple wood chips. Baste every 45 minutes or so with maple syrup filled with coarse ground pepper.
Enjoy!

I like nehalem bay crab as well, and I'm a total sucker for good clam chowder. Rock bass fish & chips are great too!
I like crappie from fresh water, if you can find them safe to eat. :)

I'm a huge fan of salmon candy...
Fillet the salmon or steelhead, cut 3" steaks of the fillets.
Pour about 2 cups worth of soy sauce in a bowl, mix with a cup and a half or so of water, 3/4 bag of brown sugar, add about a table spoon of pepper, a few quartered garlic cloves, a table spoon of lemon juice... pretty much sweet and salty to taste. ;)
Soak salmon at over night turning occasionally.
Smoke anywhere from 160-190 for about 4 hours over alder and apple wood chips. Baste every 45 minutes or so with maple syrup filled with coarse ground pepper.
Enjoy!

I like nehalem bay crab as well, and I'm a total sucker for good clam chowder. Rock bass fish & chips are great too!
I like crappie from fresh water, if you can find them safe to eat. :)

My diabetes came back just reading that post lol:p:D

My huntin buddy just got back from campin at SealRocks on Hoods Cannal and he gave me a couple a crabs, some oysters and a dozen or so steamers. Made it into a seafood pizza with alfredo sauce, monteray jack , cheddar and pecorino cheese. Left off the oysters for later and added some bacon:D

full.jpg

My huntin buddy just got back from campin at SealRocks on Hoods Cannal and he gave me a couple a crabs, some oysters and a dozen or so steamers. Made it into a seafood pizza with alfredo sauce, monteray jack , cheddar and pecorino cheese. Left off the oysters for later and added some bacon:D

View attachment 606362

^^^ Winner Winner, seafood dinner!! :s0155:

Very cold, fresh out of their beds, oysters on the half shell. The only salmon, if I had MY choice....Properly bled/iced/filleted/skinless, left to settle for 24 hours, early Willamette River spring salmon.

It's all pretty good, and I'll eat any of it with great gusto. Not to much, to often of any one thing though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top