JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We started grilling oysters this summer, they open after a few minutes and is easy to split the shell open
I won't do them on my BBG/grill. That salt murders metal after a time. Best ever though was over a wood fire at a camp ground. One of those that have the grate over it, or part way over it. Dang man! That hint of smoke from the fire, a little bit of melted butter in each one after it opened until it bubbled some.

How much $$
He was $10.50 a dozen last time we went, About 4 months ago? Maybe 5? There's a couple stores in Netarts that carry them too for a decent price. Compare that to the place on Yaquina Bay that soaked us something like $19.00 a doz I want to say? I hate being treated like a tourist.

Not bad price. I won't pay $1 each unless I'm needing a fix. But that is the max.
Unfortunately the days of $7.50/doz oysters are gone. I'm reeeeally pick about my seafood. I'm anal about the way I treat my fish/seafood. There were many times when I had my little boat that I left the big river with a salmon early because I didn't have a way to ice it. I didn't have room for a cooler, but had a cooler in the truck. Eating oysters tonight that were comfy in their beds this morning is well worth a buck each!

Is this a Necro-thread?

Nobody mentioned alaskan weathervane scallops.

scallop.jpg

I LOVE pretty much all seafood, but scallops are my favorite. Harvested by hand while freediving and eaten right out of the shell, or cooked any number of ways, I could eat scallops for days, LOL!!

I LOVE pretty much all seafood, but scallops are my favorite. Harvested by hand while freediving and eaten right out of the shell, or cooked any number of ways, I could eat scallops for days, LOL!!
I love scallops too. Very best I ever had were Bay, not ocean scallops served in the No Name Restaurant, 15 1/2 Fish Pier, Boston. Back when I was a grad student I'd go get them occassionally. They came directly from the fishing boat to the restaurant. Which had only about six or eight tables along one wall, the grill the length of the other, and no name or address. Mostly just fishermen, themselves right off the boats, and those in the know ate there. You would get an 8" plate mounded high with battered fried scallops for under $5. The whole meal was scallops. Bay scallops were a different species from ocean, smaller, very tender, and slightly sweet.

I had bad seafood poisonings when I was 12 that left me sour to any seafood smell.

However...

If it doesn't smell like the ocean I'm down.

I like fresh caught salmon (especially my own). Cod fish n chips, and local sushi (especially spicy salmon)

I used to work at Thunder Reef Divers and I'd arrange a boat to take us down to Cape Lookout to spearfish. That's when I found out how good lingcod is. For me, NW faves are lingcod, sockeye, steelhead, and dungeness.

A little off topic, but East Coast seafood is a thing of beauty as well: Southern fish fry (Sea Bass), Chesapeake Bay blue crabs, New England clam chowder, fried flounder, and crab cakes. 🤤

I had bad seafood poisonings when I was 12 that left me sour to any seafood smell.

However...

If it doesn't smell like the ocean I'm down.

I like fresh caught salmon (especially my own). Cod fish n chips, and local sushi (especially spicy salmon)
The fishy flavor of commercial fish in US is associated with too long between catching and buying. Try fish in Japan. Even a fish market doesn't smell like fish. It smells like ocean.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top