JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm using a 1 in 7, 16" barrel so pretty much anything of 55 grains and above will shoot in it...

The objective is to discover how accurate the gun is (my lousy shooting notwithstanding), so what's some of your favorite commercially-available match/target ammo for accuracy in the .223 or 5.56 round?

My answer is Black Hills Blue Box (reloads) 60 grain V-Max. I shoot them out of a 20 inch barrel and they do 3100 fps. Of course, the price of 50 has doubled in the last 2 years.

Ah Mr. Bend, looks like you and I are the ammo-freaks here... :)

I picked up some Federal (something like "Super Match"/expensive!) and a box of non-LEO (black box) TAP for the beginning of the "trials".

The Marksman over on Canyon Road in Parkland had some Black Hills on-the-shelf, so will drop by there too. I've heard good stuff about their rounds, esp. the heavier BTHP ones.

Getting a 5-shot group of 3/4" @ 100 yards then there will be one flier 3" away, and I have to find out if it's me, or the XM193 'seconds' causing it.

Is the flier the first round of the group after a mag change? If it is, make sure you release the bolt with the bolt release on that first round. Don't use the charging handle. On my rifles, the different seating pressure in the chamber from one method to the other makes a difference down range for the following rounds. YMMV.

ETA: The other thing to think about; If its not the first round - shoot only 3 round groups. Don't shoot the flier. (where are the smiley faces for edit msg's?)

Getting a 5-shot group of 3/4" @ 100 yards then there will be one flier 3" away, and I have to find out if it's me, or the XM193 'seconds' causing it.

Rather than fire rounds stripped from the magazine, you could try single loading them... one at a time like a single shot bolt gun.

For many semi autos I've blocked the gas, or removed the operating rod (depending on the guns system) to turn the gun, temporarily, into a single shot. This allows me to close the bolt in any fashion I choose and in a repeatable, identical manor.

Of course, much of what I did was with handloads using much less than a commercial rounds neck tension, or a longer OAL to achieve a better bullet position relative to the lands.

Just a suggestion...
C

I'm a fan of the BlackHills 68gr heavy match, I shoot an Armalite NM with a heavy ss bbl. Mounting a scope on the carry handle I consistently shot under 2" at 200yds with little effort from the bench.

That said, I'll be damned if I can find the stuff any more, and internet searches all say they are out of stock. Portland gunshow this weekend came up blank also.

I'll be dropping by the Marksman later this week and will see if they have any BH 68gr. Not like it's handy for you in Vancouver. :eek:

I'm a fan of the BlackHills 68gr heavy match, I shoot an Armalite NM with a heavy ss bbl. Mounting a scope on the carry handle I consistently shot under 2" at 200yds with little effort from the bench.

That said, I'll be damned if I can find the stuff any more, and internet searches all say they are out of stock. Portland gunshow this weekend came up blank also.

Hi Wichaka, sorry to say it's the XM193 I'm shooting now. :s0131: That's the only ammo I've ever shot in it except for 10 Federal frangibles.

Could be that it's not the ammo but I want to find out...

XM193 is considered a 'second' It's reject Military stuff. If there's even one thing that doesn't meet the long list of requirements, the whole lot gets thrown out.

I work with some of the ATK reps, the company that makes the stuff.

...Probably I can't hit a lick at a snake. :s0114: :( :eek:

I'm hoping to get out pretty soon to run the Federal Match and Hornady TAP through it, and then we'll know.

I've had simular patterns when some of the screws were not tight on the scope rings and bases. I'm not considering the nut controling the trigger. Also, check your cant on each shot.

Now I read this. Good advice there on the cant for sure.

Preliminary results are that it didn't like the Federal Gold Match stuff at all, and loved the civilian Hornady TAP.

The stuff is so expensive it really isn't fun to shoot it.

Both of those fliers look like you didn't squeeze the rounds off between breaths. It would appear that you had just finished inhaling when you fired the fliers (both are low on the target compared to your grouping). Alot of people don't know or forget how important breathing is in firing at range.

Actually I did squeeze them off between breaths, but thanks for the thought.

I guess I'd better post the targets from the Federal match and Hornady sessions. Remember y'all, these are 100-yard, 4" targets using a carbine...

Last Edited:
Three types of ammo were shot through the Colt 6920 16" carbine, 1/7 twist on Monday, when it was about 45 degrees outside and a fairly still day.

4" targets at 100 yards.

Federal milspec seconds, XM193 55gr. FMJ

Federal Gold Match 69gr. JHP (at $35 per 20)

And Hornady TAP FPD, 55-Gr. ballistic tip:

Hornady scores within 1 1/4" with a semi-auto carbine , which is smaller than the accuracy guarantee that Weatherby warrants for their bolt-action rifles. (Weatherby warrants accuracy of 1 1/2" 3-round group).

It was really surprising how poorly the Federal Gold Match performed in this rifle!

Now it's possible I shot the $35-a-box Federal badly because I was trying so hard to get a good group with it, but I was trying that hard to get a good group with the $21 Hornady, and frankly kind of didn't try too hard with the Federal XM193. :cool: They were shot in order of posting, the XM 193, the Fed Match and then the TAP.

So the next trip out we will run the Hornady LEO TAP against the (civilian) FPD TAP and probably throw in some XM193's as a "control" group.

When are you out there (I'm assuming at TRRC) shooting that fine carbine? I'd be interested in watching sometime since I am STILL waiting on all of my EBR parts... :(

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top