JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My old folder is too hard to keep an edge on, so I'm looking to upgrade. I want a knife with assisted opening, no serration, good quality steel (maybe carbon steel if I can get it), for utility use but also self defense. Prefer less expensive knives but would consider spending more if it is really functional and not just some boutique brand.

I might also consider a fixed blade if it is small enough and easy to carry, but I really am getting tired of stuff hanging on my belt, so...

Kershaw Blur is always in my butt pocket. Good size, good price. I keep unopened spares at home and one in the truck. Damn good knife.

image.jpeg I have other nicer knives but I always seem to grab this $10 Kershaw I picked up at there factory sales years ago and I beat the crap out of it at work.

Well, ditto on the Kershaw Blur! I have much more expensive knives including Benchmark, an older Gerber and a Houge/Wilson Combat - Starlite! The Blur is what's in my pocket! I much prefer the tonto!

I like them so much that I also have unopened spares! I think they're around $50 on Amazon.

Last Edited:
I've been carrying pocket clip folders a long time, and been through quite a few. I always carry a fixed blade if I'm out redneckin' through the woods, but otherwise the clip folder is more stealthy and easily deployed. I still have the first one I bought, a Syderco 60/40 serrated combo blade. While not assisted, the one handed thumb opening is remarkable. But the knife that I've had for the last 6 years, besides my Gerber multitool, is a CRKT M16-14ZSF http://www.crkt.com/M16-14-Z-Desert-Special-Forces-Tanto-AutoLAWKS-Combo-Edge which I got from Sportsman's Guide on sale for around $20 bucks (they are a lot more now I see). I use it pretty heavily, and keep it sharp. It has a double lock system that can be released one handed as well. The integral blade hilt makes it open with minimal effort, a flick of the finger. I never thought I'd have a blade last this long, and it looks beat up, but it's durable and well designed.

Pretty much anything Kershaw because I don't like opening studs/pins.

I'm not a fan of serrations either, and sharpen my knives with just the rough or medium diamond stone in the sharpener kit, this leaves the edge with "micro serrations", cuts stuff better, and I have no plans to shave with my pocket knive:rolleyes:.

I also prefer a more rounded handle profile over the popular slab sided designs.
For a cheap EDC, and I don't care if I loose/abuse it type knife, one of my favorites is the Kershaw OSO Sweet
http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1830-Sweet-Pocket-Knife/dp/B00172A3DE?ie=UTF8&keywords=kershaw oso sweet&qid=1464463908&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

For something a little heftier, the 1776 Link, also a Kershaw
http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1776-...s_bia_t_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Z5EY7RMKG7V1RK89E1M
And another cheapie:
http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1970-Burst-Folding-SpeedSafe/dp/B005UE6BNG?ie=UTF8&keywords=kershaw folding knives&qid=1464486669&ref_=sr_1_34&sr=8-34

Read the reviews and watch the videos :D
:)

Last Edited:
@PaulB47

Sportsman's Tanasbourne has a good selection - get some in your hand even if you don't buy there.

Also - check our Forum on knife sales. I got my last 2 knives in the Sportsman's parking lot - well one's I paid for ;-)

Why does everyone insist on an "assisted opener"? In Oregon, automatics are legal to own and carry. (I like all of the assisted openers and automatics that I own, so let's not go down that "rabbit trail").

Why does everyone insist on an "assisted opener"? In Oregon, automatics are legal to own and carry. (I like all of the assisted openers and automatics that I own, so let's not go down that "rabbit trail").
rabbit trail...
OK, for me, assisted opening (flipper) folders operate as an "automatic", designed without a "button" because most all legal descriptions of an automatic contains function verbiage related to the word "button".
Kind of like an AK with a thumb hole stock, instead of a pistol grip, or a small Glock with a little bump on the side...as a thumb rest, for a points total taking a small gun out of the legal definition of a Saturday Night Special, when baby Glocks were imported.
assisted opening, same function as an automatic...without the "button", no rabbit trail (or hole) either way, for me.
where's Oregon;)
jmo
:)

Last Edited:
My favorite is my Spec Elite II Auto by SOG. Great carry knife and it's AUS-8 blade holds it's edge rather well.

The 4" blade is a perfect clip-point and serves really well in the field and "on the street".

$.02

Me thinks you should start with steel selection. Do you want a mild stainless such as 440, 4430 etc? Or do you want a premium steel like 154CM or SV30?

Maybe find middle ground with Gerber 440HC (high carbon) that's coming in mid priced knives between $40-80.

Find your balance of ease of sharpening, rust resisting, edge holding.

Then find a Mfg that makes a blade with your specs that's in your price range. I'd advise against buying a blade that functions like you want only to find you have to sharpen it after opening one Amazon box. We know nothing is worse than a dull knife that constantly requires sharpening.

Last Edited:
$.02

Me thinks you should start with steel selection. Do you want a mild stainless such as 420, 4430 etc? Or do you want a premium steel like 154CM or SV30?

Find your balance of ease of sharpening, rust resisting, edge holding.

Then find a Mfg that makes a blade with your specs that's in your price range. I'd advise against buying a blade that functions like you want only to find you have to sharpen it after opening one Amazon box. We know nothing is worse than a dull knife that constantly requires sharpening.

I'll buy that. Cheap steel irritates that daylights out of me. 440A is good for inexpensive "fruit knives" and can be hardened reasonably well. They work as a "diving knife steel", but there are better choices. (H1 leaps to mind).

A good 440C steel works well when hardened to to a Rockwell hardness of 58-59. It isn't expensive, and provides an excellent service life.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top