Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

your favorite .22 handgun

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by snowdriver, Oct 4, 2009.

1. snowdriver

snowdriver sandy,oregon Member

i am looking for another .22 handgun,already have a buckmark camper,that i really like alot,and want to know what some of you have that you like to shoot:D

2. bt97006

bt97006 Aloha Member

I have a Ruger 22/45 target that I like alot. Very accurate and fun to plink with.

3. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

I purchased a Ruger Mk 1 .22 handgun with a six inch barrel in 1961. I had to buy it on lay-away because of the high cost ($37.50). I was so happy when it was finally paid for and I could bring it home. I still have it. I have shot it gazillions of times. It works as good today as it did then. Ruger still makes a similar gun and if I needed one I would buy it. Today's cost is $350 and up! You would be hard-pressed to find better in my opinion.

4. snowdriver

that was the gun i almost bought when i got my buckmark,and i may still get one soon

5. snowdriver

refering to the ruger 22/45;)

6. bt97006

bt97006 Aloha Member

If you do pick one up there is some good info on them with different tips and tricks here....
    http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/index.htm

7. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Smith&Wesson made fine revovers that don't jam and shoot very straight. If you can find one you will be well pleased when you learn how to shoot it. Model 17 or variation of.

jj

8. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Colt Woodsman, pre-WW2 both Target and Sport....above all other autos
    Hi Standard HD Military
    Smith and Wesson Model 41
    Walther PPK (German)

Smith and Wesson Model 17....above all other revos
    Smith and Wesson Models 34, 43, 63 for kit-guns

9. Bajablast

Bajablast Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I have the Ruger 512 Mark III 22/45. It is the target model with bull barrel. It is accurate as anything right out of the box. It is an absolute blast to shoot.

I can't decide whether it or my Walther G22 rifle is more fun to shoot.

I guess I will just have to keep shooting them both to to decide on a favorite.:bluelaugh:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

10. sheepman

sheepman Las Vegas NV Member

For auto, Ruger MKI, II or III, for revolver S&W K22/M17 are my top picks. The old Hi Standard and Colts were great and the S&W 41 auto is top of the line but pricey. Also like the Ruger single six and bearcat. The shorter list would be 22s that I don't like. You will have good luck with most quality brands, you just have to try some and see what you like. Bill

11. UncalledForGabe

UncalledForGabe Aloha Or. Member

I like my S&W 22a pretty well.

12. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

walther p22

13. cameronhu

cameronhu Ridgefield, Wa Member

+1 on the 22/45. I had one and sold it (stupid). Will likely be buying another, unless I decide to try out a Hammerli Trailside.

14. Shootshellz

Shootshellz Edmonds Member

Ruger Single Six old model (with adjustable sights). Tough as nails and versatile since it came with a 22 Magnum cylinder.

15. rhtwist

rhtwist South Florida Member

Colt New Frontier can't recall the exact 4" + barrel length. Handy, quality, 22 Mag cylinder. Colt famous case-hardened frame. Very nice.
    rhtwist

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  16. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My Grandfather bought the one in my safe in the late 50s or early 60s. First handgun I shot. I've had several 22 pistols (revolvers and autos). Even if this one wasn't a family piece, it would have been the one I kept. Feeds anything I give it. Very accurate. If I didn't hit it, it's my fault.

17. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

It's accurate and feels good in the hand but then I've always been kind of partial to double action revolvers (especially N frames.)

18. reloadem

reloadem Monroe, OR Member

Supermatic Citation

19. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

The most rugged and dependable .22 handgun I have is an old Ruger Super Single Six. The finest and most accurate is a 1960's era Browning Challenger. Parting with either would cause me great pain :)

20. Searcher451

Searcher451 Oregon Member

I've got a bunch of them, and I tend to take them to the range a great deal. The one I like best is usually the one I have in my hand at the moment. But if push came to shove, it would either be a Walther PP or a Ruger Bearcat: two totally different critters, to be sure, but both have equal amounts of pizzazz and appeal for me.