JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Springfield Operator and really like it. The trigger is great, the fit and finish well executed, and it shoots wonderfully.

They don't show the 5" Operator anymore on their web page, but a TRP or the "Loaded" model would be my choice in that price range. I sure like mine.

Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson and the list goes on. Many good manufacturers these days. One of my favorites is the kimber eclipse. It does make it hard to chose with so many options, good luck.

Kimber TLE/RL II Noble Arms Kimber TLE RLII.jpg

Hello all. I am looking for a great 1911 for around $1500? I was hoping to gather ideas, what's your favorite?. Please post picks if you have them.
This is going to be my BBQ gun with a lot of range time and some CC.
Thanks for your suggestions
DAN WESSON hands down.

You can still pick up a new Colt Wiley Clapp gov't model for around or under $1,500. Very well appointed
Series 70 platform. Match grade barrel, and really nice barrel/slide fit too.
If open to other brands besides Colt, I strongly second (or fifteenth? lost track) the suggestion of Dan Wesson. DW Valor is on the top of my wish list.
Just know that at some point you very well may end up with more than one high quality 1911. :cool:
Have fun!

I may be way off base here, but to me it seems that at this price point, the differences are minimal. You may be looking into name brands and customer service reputations at this stage.
I think all the manufacturers offer something in this $$ range with almost identical features. its going to end up being your personal preference now.

I just picked up my Ruger SR1911 not too long ago.

Half the price of your budget. Pretty decent quality. Slings lead down range very reliably.

Added the pearce finger grip to it for $9 off amazon. Makes it very comfortable to grip.

2015-05-15%2012.19.56_zpsksmkjs44.jpg

Oh and its 100% made in USA ;)

Colt is the only name to know........I used to build 1911's and have used many brands. I have a hardness tester and found nearly all the off brands do not have consistently correct metal hardness treatment. There are 2 exceptions, the Essex frames were good and the Caspian products were always excellent quality. The new USMC special ops 1911's are Caspian. My buddy just had experiance with Kimber, it wasn't with one of there 1911's but one of there 380 pistols. After sending it back for repairs 3 times. (It never would feed from new).......it came back worse every time. It was total junk.....finally he asked for a refund after they admitted they couldn't fix it..........they refused. So, look for a high end Colt or Caspian and you will never look back.

$1500 range? Either Dan Wesson or Springfield TRP for less money.
Dan Wesson was never able to build a consistently quality product when they were building revolvers. In a different life, I sold guns. We would get 2 or 3 in at a time.....they were all different in fit and finish. The interchangeable barrels frequently had to be fit by a gunsmith. I haven't been around them for years but if you didn't mind sharp edges, poor fit and finish I suppose they were fine. I likewise have not looked closely at the Springfield 1911's but they fit so poorly when they first came out that they would rattle when shaken. Many old these off brand manufacturers take advantage of the fact few firearms get a lot of use. So they concentrate on looks and superficial stuff to make you open your wallet. A loose fitting gun always shoots, where the bullet goes is anyone's guess but it will always go bang. That is enough for many people. When you pay good money for a firearm....particularly a 1911, a large percentage of that money goes into hand fitting quality control and basic manufacturing methods. Caspian for instance builds there parts, frames and slides over (or under) sized so a craftsman has to hand fit each part. Nothing can be simply assembled.

Thanks for the input. Didn't know that the DW had poor quality control in the beginning. However, yeah I witnessed how crappy Springfield was in the past. They both have good quality these days as far as I can tell, as a person who own/owned both, tight fitting and consistent build quality. However, if I were looking for hand fitting quality, the minimum I would start with would be the Ed Brown.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads