JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am looking at them all closely. I will be taking a trip to the nutty side of the state soon, any gun stores where I may be able to handle a few?

Do you have any other 1911's ?
You can get a lot of decent 1911's for around a grand, the Colts as mentioned above, but if you want to go the full $1500, Dan Wesson stainless Valor or you might find a gently used Baer premier or TRS for around the same. The Valor is the better finished of the two, but some people love Baers "hard fit" philosophy which make his guns a pain to rack when new...
The fitting and finishing of the Valor compares very well with higher priced guns from Brown, Nighthawk and dare I say, Wilson. If you want to pay more for some frills and fluff, Dan Wesson has a custom shop.

All that said, any $600+ 1911 from a main manufacturer should shoot well into 2" at 15yrds, most will do better. Broadly speaking, the ammo you pick will make a bigger difference accuracy wise than the brand of gun.

one of my Valors...

my Baer ( not particularly gently used...)
Those are nice. How does the black finish hold up on the valor.

Forgot the the pic. This is a 1951 Colt Government "Commercial". My picture taking skills don't match the quality of the bluing on this gun by any means. My choice in grips may be a little plain for a BBQ gun, but whatever you like is only 4 screws away.

And this is the same gun along with the 1962 Colt National Match (Pre Gold Cup) I had and my Dan Wesson. Check out the difference in the shine between the 50's vintage colt and the 60's vintage Colt. The old ones shine like no other.
I would love to find a classic Colt.

I agree on the Dan Wesson as a good option. I think they might have made a couple of the C-Bob 10mm's one year. Wouldn't mind finding one of them.

I didn't see anyone mention the Smith and Wesson performance center 1911's. I don't own one, but they seem pretty nice. both of these are in that range.

Flame away, but I don't like Kimber. Dressing up a 1911 like it is a custom does not make it run like a well made custom. I also think that Colt 1911's are over priced and over rated for what you get. I do freely admit that these are just my opinions, YMMV.

I agree on the Dan Wesson as a good option. I think they might have made a couple of the C-Bob 10mm's one year. Wouldn't mind finding one of them.

I didn't see anyone mention the Smith and Wesson performance center 1911's. I don't own one, but they seem pretty nice. both of these are in that range.

Flame away, but I don't like Kimber. Dressing up a 1911 like it is a custom does not make it run like a well made custom. I also think that Colt 1911's are over priced and over rated for what you get. I do freely admit that these are just my opinions, YMMV.
Smith & Wesson E series is decent. Pretty, good sights, and solid steel. My concerns with Kimber has been the aluminum frame - maybe not an issue if you don't shoot it frequently, but I have heard of cracks and such... Good looking, though...

Dan Wesson Valor finished in the black coating. It's an awful high quality 1911 for the money, and is right in your wheelhouse. The colts, S and Ws, and Springfields don't really compare in terms of parts quality although a good springfield can shoot very sweet. But it won't have near as many the tool steel parts of the DW. And the springfields have 2 piece barrels.

I tell you what,I bought a used Range Officer and my friends coudn't believe how accurate it was. 1 friend bought it from me when I sold it to move.
My Loaded was almost as accurate and ran every bit as smooth,and I was into both for under $1500

Also, I have 2 Taurus PT1911s. One Black and one stainless.
For $500, you get a lot of the same features that come on the $1000 guns. Mine both shoot well, the fit and finish is great, and I have not had any problems in the 5 years I've owned them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top