JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all. I am looking for a great 1911 for around $1500? I was hoping to gather ideas, what's your favorite?. Please post picks if you have them.
This is going to be my BBQ gun with a lot of range time and some CC.
Thanks for your suggestions

Go old school/new school!! I bought a new colt 70 series. Combat sites, all black, wood grips...perfection... Its a dream, I love it. I've shot 550ish rounds so far. The steel frame is what tames the gun, me and my fathers Kimber's have a little more pop because of alloy frame. I'd stay away from any 80 series, less desirable if you go to resell later. I'm a 1911 addict and honestly love ANY 1911. If you wanna go real deal, go Colt govt model 70 series model 1911a1. I got mine from NW armory, $999.99 plus the BC. If you decide you ever want to upgrade it you can send it strait to colt, keep your records for possible future sales. Colts are like toyotas, everyone wants one and they don't depreciate. My 2 cents.

Colt... I have a Gold Cup Trophy model that after putting 7000 rounds through it the MIM parts started to wear out. I put in a tactical 2 setup and replaced the extractor (Cylinder & Slide pieces), a trigger reduction setup (C&S also) and replaced the slide release and safety with Ed Brown pieces. Total I'm in it max 1500. It shoots every bit as good as my Les Baer TRS so it's my go to handgun. I currently have approx 25K rounds and I still drive tacks at 25 yards. I also shoot shaving cream cans at over 100 years with it.
Ya cant go wrong with a Colt!

Classic
That has to be VINTAGE shaving cream . . .

Sheldon
Barbasol has been around a long time and the dollar store carries it for $1 a can;) When I go to a shooting pit I drop into the Dollar store and buy everything on the shelves. Ya hit one with a 45 and you get instant gratification as white stuff goes all over!

Do you have any other 1911's ?
You can get a lot of decent 1911's for around a grand, the Colts as mentioned above, but if you want to go the full $1500, Dan Wesson stainless Valor or you might find a gently used Baer premier or TRS for around the same. The Valor is the better finished of the two, but some people love Baers "hard fit" philosophy which make his guns a pain to rack when new...
The fitting and finishing of the Valor compares very well with higher priced guns from Brown, Nighthawk and dare I say, Wilson. If you want to pay more for some frills and fluff, Dan Wesson has a custom shop.

All that said, any $600+ 1911 from a main manufacturer should shoot well into 2" at 15yrds, most will do better. Broadly speaking, the ammo you pick will make a bigger difference accuracy wise than the brand of gun.

one of my Valors...

my Baer ( not particularly gently used...)

file-22.jpg baerwear_zpsa75435eb.jpg

Last Edited:
If you want a BBQ gun then you better buy a 40s or 50s vintage Colt. NOTHING else has that quality of bluing. Think I'm kidding? Go on a hunt and look at the older Colts. Even the newer high dollar guns just don't match the shine and finish of the Colt Royal Blue.
For a working gun in that price range a used Dan Wesson would be my choice. Or, should I say, is my choice. After several years of "packin" mine's not so pretty anymore, but it's beautiful to me.

Nice bits, got any finished ones to show ?

If you know what you're doing or don't and don't mind rebuying parts, its easy to go nuts with a Brownell's catalogue and a credit card. Even with zero knowledge and a couple of Youtube vids, you can buy the parts and assemble something and there's a 95% chance it'll work. But the timing might be off, you might be hammering the barrel lugs or your hammer might only just be engaging with the sear nose and you'd be unaware until something went wrong. And like many homebuilds, it might well look like a dog's dinner to every body but you....

Forgot the the pic. This is a 1951 Colt Government "Commercial". My picture taking skills don't match the quality of the bluing on this gun by any means. My choice in grips may be a little plain for a BBQ gun, but whatever you like is only 4 screws away.

And this is the same gun along with the 1962 Colt National Match (Pre Gold Cup) I had and my Dan Wesson. Check out the difference in the shine between the 50's vintage colt and the 60's vintage Colt. The old ones shine like no other.

guns140-1.jpg guns035.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top