JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Old? In my world, that's almost new!
Apologies for the ambiguous use of the word "old".
In this instance, it would be defined as something one used to own.
The vehicle that you owned before the one you own now, could be expressed as "..your old vehicle...".
It may not be particularly old, as a factor of age, but it is something you owned formerly.
Same same.
I hope that clears things up.

Dean

Thank you for your response. You are fortunate to have that rifle I think. My Grandfather was born in 1881 and my father in 1925 when both my grand parents were in their early forties. He (grandfather) went to Alaska for the gold rush and did well financially as a Teamster hauling goods out and in the gold fields. When he returned to Washington he opened a livery stable in Kent and also a sawmill in Enumclaw on the forty acres he owned there. He was in his sixties when I was a boy and lived well into his eighties and I still remember him hauling firewood logs on a horse drawn sledge cut on his property. Tough old coot. This rifle is going to my grandson not my son as my son is a devout member of the jehovah's witnesses and I fear it would be sold and the proceeds given to his church. He has an absolute right to his beliefs but so do I. Again thanks for you relating your positive feelings about having your ancestors firearm. Best. Tom
My father was born in 1902, and his father in 1866. GGrandfather was born in 1825. The rifle was taken on a trip on a steamboat up the Rosebud River in the days of Custer and General Crook. It came to me with a set of buffalo horns from that trip. Family rumor has it that it was also accompanied by a Sioux headdress at one time, but I've never seen it. The rifle went through a cabin fire in the early 1900s. It was junk when I got it. Eighteen months and $2000+ later it is back to new condition.

Let's see if I can't put a little wind into @CountryGent thread.
I've got the start of the dream, but someday need to make it happen.
I have a 1920 vintage 94. It a Saddle Ring Carbine that's not had it's ring for longer than I've known the gun. Dad got it in '69 when Grandpa passed away. It has always been very rough and in the mid 70's I "restored" it, trying to refinish it and reblue the metal. Fortunately the finish doesn't look much different than it did with the exception of the bands and buttplate, which need some love. However, the wood is trash. I'd love to be able to find some correct pattern wood for it and fix the home made front sight blade.
Other than fixin up our old one I think the Marlin Guide Gun pattern is a neat package, especially when it's a large bore. I've seen a few and have been tempted, but "I have this ol thurty-thurty..."
This is the second thread about a lever recently. Guess I need to go bust up a few soup cans. :D

Correction: 1919 vintage Winchester 1894 SRC. Ser# 872,xxx.

A while after I wrote this I stumbled onto a front sight blade for that old "thurty-thurty". A brand new Marbles with the ivory bead. It got me so excited that I actually started a thread about the gun. I was hoping to go shoot it today, but we're taking advantage of a very lazy Sunday, something that's very rare for us.
Anyway, I got it all taken apart and cleaned up. Then I decided not to change the wood. I fit the buttplate where it over hung the wood and called it good. I've ordered some cold blue from Brownells and that is supposed to be here tomorrow. I don't know how far I'm going to go because I believe this gun should show some wear, but I'm wanting to purdy it up some.
I'm really happy that I got it out and dusted it off. I'm actually more excited to use this for deer season than that nice ol Model 70 I put together...:D
20200420_175923.jpg

Last Edited:
I have a Marlin 39A and a 1894C, both have to be some of the funniest range and plinking guns I have used.

I would love to find a cowboy version of each someday. Maybe a 1897 Texan and 1894 Cowboy in 357 with a 24 inch barrel and setup with a tang sight.

Let's see if I can't put a little wind into @CountryGent thread.

Correction: 1919 vintage Winchester 1894 SRC. Ser# 872,xxx.

A while after I wrote this I stumbled onto a front sight blade for that old "thurty-thurty". A brand new Marbles with the ivory bead. It got me so excited that I actually started a thread about the gun. I was hoping to go shoot it today, but we're taking advantage of a very lazy Sunday, something that's very rare for us.
Anyway, I got it all taken apart and cleaned up. Then I decided not to change the wood. I fit the buttplate where it over hung the wood and called it good. I've ordered some cold blue from Brownells and that is supposed to be here tomorrow. I don't know how far I'm going to go because I believe this gun should show some wear, but I'm wanting to purdy it up some.
I'm really happy that I got it out and dusted it off. I'm actually more excited to use this for deer season that that nice ol Model 70 I put together...:D
View attachment 689577
Link to the thread?

Man, the answer to this question changes with me, like I change socks!
The other day I ran into a video review of a Smith 648, which is the mag version of a 617.
Now I want that, in conjunction with the .22 mag version of the Henry Frontier lever gun with the 24" barrel.
...tomorrow, I'll probably be back to a 336 or a Glenfield 30A. :s0092:

Last Edited:
I usually recoil in disgust at any rails on lever guns, but this one is the best of that variety I've seen so far. The walnut grip panels do it a favor.
Last summer or the summer before A silencer company was demoing silencers for their sales staff. I horned in and was educated by their great engineers. They had Ars Various bolt actions up to 338 Lapuas and a SAW ,that was fun to watch them run the gun and ,and ,and !!! Noooooooooooooo A silenced Marlin lever action.I told them that was a no, no and it was gun blasphemy but they demoed it any way. It should be a law requiring silencers on most guns.

Last Edited:
Marlin lever-action 'Guide Gun' in 45/70 Government is the one I've always wanted, but have not purchased yet. I did get to shoot one a few times. The sheer bang and the power of those things makes you want to sell your wife into slavery to buy one. Downside is the ammo is kind of spendy.

Marlin lever-action 'Guide Gun' in 45/70 Government is the one I've always wanted, but have not purchased yet. I did get to shoot one a few times. The sheer bang and the power of those things makes you want to sell your wife into slavery to buy one. Downside is the ammo is kind of spendy.

For me, I much prefer the full length magazine tube. The guide guns look like they are missing something to my eye.

Link to the thread?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads