JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am debating the 454 casull which has a comfortable recoil or should I go with the 500 s &W magnum which is cheaper and I can suppress too.

Go with the .500 S&W. If for no other reason big Five-Oh! :D

OK, well that is the one I'd go with, but in reality both would be pretty neat-o and provide a lot of thump in from a lever-action.

P.S. What can would you be using with the .500 S&W?

I am debating the 454 casull which has a comfortable recoil or should I go with the 500 s &W magnum which is cheaper and I can suppress too.

I would go with the .460 because it can still shoot the .454 and .45 LC - cartridges that are probably easier to come by than the .500 and has better sectional density for a given bullet weight, which will help for better penetration.

OK, well that is the one I'd go with, but in reality both would be pretty neat-o and provide a lot of thump in from a lever-action.

P.S. What can would you be using with the .500 S&W?
Bowers vers 50 with stainless internals upgrade

BHA says no to their 460 cycling 454 well. It's not like I don't have a stockpile of 50 cal bullets as well and reloading dies.

Last Edited:
And lets see if they respond to my request to place an order.

I am really wanting one and lever guns are turning into my thing in reality. A 50 cal suppressed Lever gun? Yes please.

This is darn near word for word what I thought when I read the question @Wombat of Doom posted. :D

I believe there would be a good argument for getting a 454, just because you have the option of using the 45 Colt, also.

But I would get the 500. I had a 5" Smith 10-12 years ago. It was a fun flame thrower. Very easy to get 45-70 ballistics out of a (semi) packable handgun.

I rather liked my old Winchester 88 in 308. Never did run across one in 284.
They were getting rare by the time my interest blossomed in the mid-90s. Today almost never see one for sale.

And the old Marlin with 30-30 rounds were ample for the purpose.

And the old Marlin with 30-30 rounds were ample for the purpose.
I don't know why, but whenever I think about an older 336, I want it to be a Glenfield 30A instead.

1599282970809.png

This is darn near word for word what I thought when I read the question @Wombat of Doom posted. :D

I believe there would be a good argument for getting a 454, just because you have the option of using the 45 Colt, also.

But I would get the 500. I had a 5" Smith 10-12 years ago. It was a fun flame thrower. Very easy to get 45-70 ballistics out of a (semi) packable handgun.
What is souring me on the Casull is while I love that round, I have a lever gun in 45-70

I've got the start of the dream, but someday need to make it happen.
I have a 1920 vintage 94. It a Saddle Ring Carbine that's not had it's ring for longer than I've known the gun. Dad got it in '69 when Grandpa passed away. It has always been very rough and in the mid 70's I "restored" it, trying to refinish it and reblue the metal. Fortunately the finish doesn't look much different than it did with the exception of the bands and buttplate, which need some love. However, the wood is trash. I'd love to be able to find some correct pattern wood for it and fix the home made front sight blade.
Other than fixin up our old one I think the Marlin Guide Gun pattern is a neat package, especially when it's a large bore. I've seen a few and have been tempted, but "I have this ol thurty-thurty..."
This is the second thread about a lever recently. Guess I need to go bust up a few soup cans. :D
Here's your authentic reproduction wood....

Here's your authentic reproduction wood....

I've seen these guys, but I need to talk to them I guess. They don't show the carbine buttplate.

Meanwhile, I took mine out hunting for the first time this century.
20201003_132335.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads