JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The 1980 song "Cars" was based on a road-rage incident. The singer Gary Newman was able to escape in West London in his Ford Cortina, but perhaps only because the pavement in that spot was quite wide.

The author FerFal has written about one's daily-driver vehicle and being able to jump a curb to get out of an escalating situation.

(article may be paid content)

How Road Rage Inspired the New Wave Hit 'Cars'

FerFal and The Modern Survivalist

I often think about how I could 'escape' from traffic while sitting in traffic, but sometimes it just isn't possible. :( rear car 2.png

That pic doesn't show all the damage; it was almost $15K, front and rear. Last year I had stopped in Hwy 26 traffic and the idiot behind me wasn't paying attention and hit me going about 30 MPH - he didn't even try to brake. I had nowhere to go and I saw he was going to hit me - if there was somewhere to go I could have. This happened earlier this year. The car is totally repaired like new now.

I often think about giving myself some space to pull out of my lane if I have to turn around - do not stop so close to the car in front of you that you can't turn off into another lane or over the divider or onto the sidewalk/shoulder.

Also, keep an eye open for side roads and exits and such that you can use to get off the road if necessary.

Last Edited:
I often think about how I could 'escape' from traffic while sitting in traffic, but sometimes it just isn't possible. :(View attachment 633864

That pic doesn't show all the damage; it was almost $15K, front and rear. Last year I had stopped in Hwy 26 traffic and the idiot behind me wasn't paying attention and hit me going about 30 MPH - he didn't even try to brake. I had nowhere to go and I saw he was going to hit me - if there was somewhere to go I could have. This happened earlier this year. The car is totally repaired like new now.

I often think about giving myself some space to pull out of my lane if I have to turn around - do not stop so close to the car in front of you that you can't turn off into another lane or over the divider or onto the sidewalk/shoulder.

Also, keep an eye open for side roads and exits and such that you can use to get off the road if necessary.

Glad you got it fixed and sounds no one was injured, so that's a huge plus!

When stopping unexpectedly, particularly on faster rural roads, I try to do a few things. Give a weave, or few, as braking. Time/distance allowing.

Plus pull farther to the right coming to a stop. Allows following traffic to see the stoppage ahead.

Lastly, I'll flip the hazards, again time/distance permitting. If we're in my truck, I have strobes set up high (convert to steady camp lights in camp).

Gives multiple opportunities for following drivers to "wake up", aside from just the brake lights.

Shoulda went for the three fiddy?

I ain't worried about nuttin cept runnin outa fuel in my F-350 Powerstroke!!! Did you know that Cummins is what you get after you been Powerstroked....:p:p:p

Defensive driving is not that hard to do if people were to pay attention. It irks me to no end when I see these morons who don't!!!
I always leave ample space between the car in front as well as continually looking for an evasive area if needed.

Last Edited:
My old 98 F-350 proved its self "Ford Tough" when an out of control R.V. smashed into me on the mountain pass, we walked away, but the truck was a gonner! I tried to push the car in front of me out of the way as that Big R.V. came smashing through the stopped cars behind us, but it wasnt enough, my Effy took the brunt of the hit and not the little Taurus in front of us!
I often wonder how bad it could have been if I hadnt been watching my mirrors and saw what was comming and tried to push my way out of the way!

When I was trained as a school bus driver they were very clear about always leaving enough room to be able to pull out around a disabled vehicle. Now as a Dump Truck driver I try to do the same thing. Also if I have to stop or even drop speed a lot on a road like the freeway or even a country hwy I will flash my brake lights or even turn on my flashers.

I think people take it for granted and get complacent about it because it's routine. Over the years I've had lots of people give me grief about skydiving. I usually I ask them how many times a week they drive on a public roadway then point out that they are many times more likely to be killed there than I am by skydiving. Typical response is disbelief/denial.
My dad drilled it into my head when I was learning to drive that it was one of the most dangerous activities. He backed it up by having a family fried that was a photographer for a couple news outlets share his grisly car accident photo collection with me. Point made, understood and never forgotten. I always make it a point to maintain a very high level of situational awareness when behind the wheel.

When I was trained as a school bus driver they were very clear about always leaving enough room to be able to pull out around a disabled vehicle. Now as a Dump Truck driver I try to do the same thing. .
This is an excellent point!
There is another maybe even more compelling, reasons for leaving adequate space in front of you when in a line of cars.
In Virginia, I was third from front of a line of six cars waiting for a left hand turn when a car full of drunk sailors from the USS El Paso slammed the last car square on, the cops figured maybe 70 miles an hour, no skid marks. All the cars were accordion together with the front car being spit out from the pack nearly sixty feet like a pool ball in a lineup rack. My beautiful cobalt blue, fuel injected, ram air, 62 302 Chev Impala with white convertible top and a custom Malibu front end and lots of chrome was now totaled. All motor mounts ripped off, the front and back nearly a foot shorter and the transmission jammed up unusable. I thought the guy hitting us would be responsible for all, but NO! The unscathed drunk bastard was only responsible for the guy he hit, and intern each of us responsible for the folk in front we hit. The judge citing it was our responsibility to leave enough space to be safe. Of coarse the guy behind me had no insurance! The car in front cost me plenty, but am still thankful he didn't claim any personal injuries.
Although that happened fifty years ago, to this day I still leave a full care length (when possible) in front and my foot firmly on the brake at stop lights and such, regardless of the sometimes incessant honking trying to get me to pull up! (Screwyoubuddy! I learned my responsibility the hard way!)

My daily driver is an old baby SUV Jeep. Full Time High-Low 4WD. No hubs to mess with. Big bumpers. About 3350 curb weight. I can plow snow with the front bumper if given a running start. Three, (3) day winter bag in back. If I can make it to my ride I stand a good chance of getting out of Dodge. Always having fun checking out new escape routes

I can walk out but it would be very demanding.

More about Cave Junction. Several years ago during the 26" blizzard me and some 4x4 pals were having fun doing donuts and drifts in a vacant field. Along comes a rare SO Ford Exploder 4x4.. Gues what? No tickets for trespassing. No warnings. He joined us in the 4wd snow fun. It is that kind of town. Tombstone at times but usually interesting.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top