JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm kinda thinking on turning my 1895 into another bolt gun for yotes. I have the AR in 556,well the wydle chamber actually.
But deciding if I want a bolt gun in 223 or to go with a 6.5 creedmore.
243?
Idunno

My 1895 will never leave, but part of why I'm selling off a bunch of others is to get started with the Creedmoor. I've already picked up a hvy barrel Howa action, just have to pick the right stock and scope. That will primarily be a set-up/bench/long range P-dog and coyote rifle. I'm also looking at options for a lighter "walking" rifle. Ruger Hawkeye or American, Howa (Vanguard), and Savage are all options at the moment, but it sure would be nice if Tikka would chamber the Lite in the Creedmoor. I currently have a Ruger 77VT in 204 and a Tikka T3 Lite in 223 with a 1 in 9 twist that have stacked up a few dogs each. The 32gr Vmax in the 204 sometimes does incredible damage, but the Ruger is like a laser, so it gets used often.

.223 Rem:
DSC00179_zpsnkchbgcr.jpg

Have really hopes for this build. MEDIC FIREARMS BILLET upper and lower, Spikes Nickel Boron bolt carrier group,45 deg. short throw Ambidextrous safety/selector,Giesley 2 stage trigger, 20" Wilson Combat bull barrel.233 Wylde 1-8 twist,rifle length gas tube and Wilson low profile gas block,12" Tube type Floating hand guard,Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 Mil-Dot reticle,Warne 30mm steel rings, Fixed A2 stock, Magpul BAD lever. 20170102_151539.png 20170102_151746.png 20170102_151715.png

Have really hopes for this build. MEDIC FIREARMS BILLET upper and lower, Spikes Nickel Boron bolt carrier group,45 deg. short throw Ambidextrous safety/selector,Giesley 2 stage trigger, 20" Wilson Combat bull barrel.233 Wylde 1-8 twist,rifle length gas tube and Wilson low profile gas block,12" Tube type Floating hand guard,Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 Mil-Dot reticle,Warne 30mm steel rings, Fixed A2 stock, Magpul BAD lever.View attachment 332706 View attachment 332707 View attachment 332708
Woohoo! That's some awesome shooting. I think 1-8 twist would be optimum too (for me). nice

Actually, my Coyote rifle is one I stole from my wife. (Traded for a new Glock) She won it in a gun show raffle. Savage Hunters special in .223. Replaced the stock scope with a VORTEX VIPER HS LR 30MM RIFLESCOPE 4-16X50 MOA XLR-LR. Sitting at my Cabelas rotating shooting table covered by a "Bush in a bag" camo cover. Sometimes with a cup of coffee, a lot of flat ground.

IMG_0256.JPG IMG_0380.JPG IMG_0090.JPG
Blue Lighting, 1-10" T3 .223

She shoots 50 gr TTSX fast and accurate (above pic) and 50 gr BT faster (3400 fps) and maybe a hair better. Leupold FX3 12x40 AO with target turrets. Only a few song dogs so far. The rockchuck was around 350 yards as far as any of you know.

P

.223 Wylde, 1/8 twist, 18.5" SS spiral fluted, SS muzzle brake, rifle length gas system, 3lb Velocity trigger. Worked up .223 reloads, shoots 5shots in a dime sized group at 100yds. Shot a lot of marmots with it but no yotes yet.

100_1402.JPG

This is one I have been slowing working on for a while for this purpose. It started as a standard Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, but I made a number of changes:

• The stock was kind of dinged up and I didn't find the length right. So I replaced it with an aftermarket set. It required a little fitting, but it turned out fine.
  • I added a scope.
  • This particular Mini was made before Ruger factory threaded them, so I had a gunsmith thread the barrel.
  • I then attached an adapter and a silencer.
  • On a bit of a lark, I installed one of those stabilizers. The accurate was already acceptable on this rifle, but if it helps a little, I will retain it. If not, off it goes into the parts box.
  • Though we mainly have 20-round magazines (and a few 5-rounders, 30-rounders, etc.), I decided to go with Ruger factory 10-round magazines for this setup.

Coyote1.jpg

Coyote2.jpg

Coyote3.jpg

mini-can.jpg

:)

Last Edited:
This is one I have been slowing working on for a while for this purpose. It started as a standard Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, but I made a number of changes:

• The stock was kind of dinged up and I didn't find the length right. So I replaced it with an aftermarket set. It required a little fitting, but it turned out fine.
  • I added a scope.
  • This particular Mini was made before Ruger factory threaded them, so I had a gunsmith thread the barrel.
  • I then attached an adapter and a silencer.
  • On a bit of a lark, I installed one of those stabilizers. The accurate was already acceptable on this rifle, but if it helps a little, I will retain it. If not, off it goes into the parts box.
  • Though we mainly have 20-round magazines (and a few 5-rounders, 30-rounders, etc.), I decided to go with Ruger factory 10-round magazines for this setup.

View attachment 429372

View attachment 429373

View attachment 429374

View attachment 429375

:)

What kind of suppressor? AAC?

How accurate is it? I have a late 90s Mini that is not very accurate. I have killed a coyote with it but it wasn't a very long shot. :)

What kind of suppressor? AAC?

How accurate is it? I have a late 90s Mini that is not very accurate. I have killed a coyote with it but it wasn't a very long shot. :)

The silencer/muffler is an Advanced Armament Corp model 556-SD. This Mini is, as I recall, built in the mid-2000s and has worked well enough over the years. I believe I originally acquired it in the late summer of 2006. It is not as accurate as other rifles we have, but good enough at the closer ranges. However, after the recent additions, I need to do more shooting/testing with it to make sure all is well. As the weather has been mild this winter, I look forward to these outings. :)

Last Edited:
The silencer/muffler is an Advanced Armament Corp model 556-SD. This Mini is, as I recall, built in the mid-2000s and has worked well enough over the years. I believe I originally acquired it in the late summer of 2006. It is not as accurate as other rifles we have, but good enough at the closer ranges. However, after the recent additions, I need to do more shooting/testing with it to make sure all is well. As the weather has been mild this winter, I look forward to these outings. :)

Excellent! Glad you got one that shoots decent. I still have mine but only because my wife managed to surprise me for my birthday. I was the "cool guy" in elk camp that year. "Your wife bought you a gun for your birthday?!"

I would post a pic of my coyote rifle but it would take a lot of pics. I have shot coyotes with everything from 204 to 300 WM. I have even tried with 357 Sig and come awful close but not quite. Really 204 is my favorite. I have shot a few with 204 where you would be hard pressed to be able to even tell that they had been shot but they dropped in there tracks. 40 grain Vmax tends to just poke a little hole then disintegrate inside creating all kinds of mush. :)

Weather has been too mild but I enjoyed a bit of shooting today in 55 degree weather with sunshine and absolutely no wind. :cool:

Nice little carbines. I am not very familiar with the .300 Blackout cartridge, but I do find it intriguing. I'm thinking I should maybe do more "homework" on this one. :)

Sort of on a tangent, I built this little 5.56㎜ AR carbine. I suppose it could work for coyotes too, though I have not used it for said yet. It is diminutive, so it would pack easy. :D

379051-4dfa17afddd5f89369410b7d95a11e1d.jpg

Nice little carbines. I am not very familiar with the .300 Blackout cartridge, but I do find it intriguing. I'm thinking I should maybe do more "homework" on this one. :)

Sort of on a tangent, I built this little 5.56㎜ AR carbine. I suppose it could work for coyotes too, though I have not used it for said yet. It is diminutive, so it would pack easy. :D

View attachment 432586
Very nice yeah 300 Blackout is a really good round I'm trying to work out a custom load for it right now the AR on the top is my Noveske SBR it loves 77 grain boat tail hollow points from Sierra won't eat anything less than 77 grain 300 Blackout I'm looking at a custom load for my wife or 135 grain varmint bullet from Sierra for black-tail this year definitely look into 300 Blackout it's worth the money especially if you run a suppressor my buddy has a suppressed 300 Blackout and it's like a pellet gun going off 300 Blackout was designed for the military specifically for suppressed

If I get within 100 yards of the animal that I am hunting... I'll take the shot.
I have hit metal silhouettes out at 200 yards fairly often...but since its not 1840 I won't take a hunting shot that far away.

Not that a .54 round ball hasn't killed game that far away ( 200 yards ) historically...and I have no doubt that it could today...
I just do not shoot /practice that often at ranges past 100 yards to make a ethical hunting shot past 100 yards...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top