JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These are old HKS that my dad had with the DW in his nightstand. The bluing had rusted up from the south Florida humidity so I had it coated.
IMG_20170727_130615_zpsk0yftgx1.jpg

For CC I use speed-strips or HKS, but then I learned when dinosaurs ruled the earth. I don't doubt there are better speed loaders on the market, but by this time the HKSs are hard-wired. I used to be very fast with a speed loader... In guns cut for them I use moon-clips for the rounds in the gun for positive ejection, but speed loaders for the reloads.

They wobble and jiggle around like a drunken bobble head!
Which, in my experience, allows faster and easier alignment and insertion than loaders that hold the rounds ridgidly. The exception is when loading full wad cutters.

So I see the shell movement as a benefit not a problem.

Just my take on it.

Last Edited:
Speed loaders, and moons share one big disadvantage that strips do not.
Topping off. Fire two rounds, take cover, and face a total reload or none at all.
New York reload beats all (two revolvers).
I rarely carry two, but often say I should lol

I'm a huge fan of the Safariland Comp 2. The downside is that they can be a PITA to refill

My CCW is a Jframe and I carry a Safariland Comp 1 with an additional speed strip. I like not having to remember to twist or do anything funky to get the gun loaded. Just plug and play.

That's the big advantage of moons, in addition to thier speed advantage. Their downfall can be their tendency to bend or warp. My 8shot .357 does not like a bent moon when u are trying to hit 8holes all at once

I have gotten used to HKS speedloaders. The only problem that I have encountered was during my first competition, Snowflake shoot in St Helens. A borrowed .357, had to be shooting .38s, and a new to me speedloader. Of course when I got there, everyone was shooting whatever they wanted. So much for rules. I reached into my coat pocket to grab the speedloader and pulled out an empty loader. Had to manually load. I am pretty fast doing it manually, so did not get rushed. I have since practiced and practiced and ... I do not have any more problems. Just need to throw them away when they get worn and don't lock. I do like the design of some of the newer exposed spring loaders, but they won't fit in any of my belt pouches.

I am really old:) When I first saw speed loaders they were Dade and the rims held by a spring. You can see how long ago by the Clint Eastwood movies and his 44. HKS came out and the big selling point was if you dropped them the rounds didn't fall out like they did with Dade.

Safariland came out with their pushbutton but I decided HKS was the way to go because the rounds locked in. However Safariland may be the best.

I have had consistent problems with the rounds not releasing from the HKS speedloaders. I use Safariland if moonclips are not permitted, but for the most part avoid speedloader only competition as that is not real world practical for my use.

I've been enjoying the Safariland speedloaders for the S&W Model 29. When we headed out this weekend, I brought said, and a couple of spares loaded with .44 Magnum and .44 Special (Winchester Silvertips).

speed.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads