JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am not a hard core preparedness thinker but I consider some eventualities and am putting a little more thought to it lately. My thinking is natural disaster and having to bug in for a few weeks or more. I have evaluated my best and most resourceful needs as far as basic survival and put other things in a semi-sort of a 'Hierarchy of needs' flow chart. (using a classical reference). I have unlimited water and wood for heat so that ends that. While I do have a small generator I really do not see much need other than to run power tools, charge the motorhome batteries and maybe some short term electric light need. I typically keep 300+ lbs of LP for backup, BBQ, motorhome refill etc. If in winter refrigeration is not a problem but if a summer situation I may have to use the motorhome refer for storage. Basically I see my situation, if I had to, would be to operate on my property like a campsite. Also my shop is wood heated so I could put a few people up on cots if I had to. I am just thinking about how the people on the East Coast have virtually no survival resources at all and this is their SHTF reality. Anyway please share with me your best setups and resources.

Good point on the medical I'll admit I don't think much about that other than a couple first aid kits in the house, shop and motorhome. Food is always a month + supply - for two.

The NOLS-WMI offer first rate extended emergency care medical courses in Bend all the time while geared more for wilderness medicine the principles are the same- how to treat and care for those when 911 is not 20 mins away. It will be of more value than you'll ever imagine. This is not a Red Cross class by any means. This is valuable regardless if SHTF or not.

On medical:

Books by The Survival Doctor

The Survival Doctor's First-Aid Kit and Beyond

Where There Is No Doctor: David Werner, Jane Maxwell, Carol Thuman, Carol Thuman, Jane Maxwell: 9780942364156: Amazon.com: Books

Where There Is No Dentist: Murray Dickson: 9780942364057: Amazon.com: Books

I've started to accumulate some medical supplies. My assumption is that after an earthquake all medical facilities will be overwhelmed, and hence I need to be able to do some level of stuff for the family and neighbors.

I'd like to take a medical course, but have yet to find something that wasn't weeks in duration (ie., I need to keep the day job).

Peter

I think people either assume they can get medical help, or they are too squeamish to administer first aid.

I will sometimes give our dogs or horses needle-based innoculations or medicine. Yeah, it took some getting used to...

I have a sterile, surgical stapler (and staple remover) in our medical kit, since it may be easier than suturing a serious wound. I'm not sure that I'm ready to use it. One item on my bucket list is to find and watch a video of someone using a surgical stapler.

Peter

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top