JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I hate the Portland Gun Show. If you go solo in your rig, you pay 8 bucks parking before your even hit the door. Whip out the trusty BiMart card to get in the door under another ten bucks, and finally you are walking down those aisles, looking at the same Dealer faces, with the same guns you saw seven years ago, at prices that have no relation to anything approaching reality , let alone your "disposable income".

Make a fair offer, and more often than not the Dealer is offended. And so, you zoom past the Beanie Babies tables, and the Varnished Wooden Models of B24's (don't get me wrong, I dearly LOVE B24's), and the myriad of AR15 accessory tables, and the nylon bags and bug-out supplies, and very honestly this show takes me less time (and twice the expense, including gas money) than the fine little and glorious Rickreall Show to examine.

BUT: I keep going back. Because of the hidden gems I have garnered from there: Some of them even from
the recalcitrant Dealers.

I post this because I missed last week's Wes Knodel show. I conciously chose not to go. A rarity for me, despite my learned hatred of the show. I make no differentiation between the Wes Knodel shows or the Collector's West shows. They are Portland shows, to be equally hated, and equally attended.

Show me what you found there that might make you keep going back (whether or not you hate going back).

Eventually, I will show you why I keep pulling down my overalls and urinating on the electric fence.

Tagged for the gloriousness this thread might become. I have not attended *any* gun show in about...10 years. Maybe 9. I work weekends, for a start, and they never had any super deals that couldn't be had at the local shops anyway. Only reason to really go would be the collection of stuff to fondle, but my tastes don't range far from polymer & stainless steel, or aluminum & steel anymore to make fondling a handful of exotic guns worth the price to get there, and the price of admission.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's reasons to attend though - this could be quite good.

Didn't bring home much. Bought some of those folding credit card knives that are advertised on tv, paid $2.50 each. Bought 45 LC brass and 38 special brass. A 22 scope and a mossberg 22 magazine for an old bolt gun I own. New in the wrap Sig mag and a 49th edition of lyman's reloading manual.:D

Last Edited:
As a fellow Forest Grove (or vicinity) denizen, you should try Rickreall. Especially if you have fond memories of what a gun show CAN be. (This for MKwerks)

For the same experience, you could stop by the The Gun Room on Foster Rd and see a lot of over priced firearms and hear the same BS as you would from the vendors.
Parking is free, no crowds and best of all, no entry fee.
And, as a special bonus, just ask anyone behind the counter about polymer guns and you get a 20 minute picture show on why you would be nuts in owning one.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

For the same experience, you could stop by the The Gun Room on Foster Rd and see a lot of over priced firearms and hear the same BS as you would from the vendors.
Parking is free, no crowds and best of all, no entry fee.
And, as a special bonus, just ask anyone behind the counter about polymer guns and you get a 20 minute picture show on why you would be nuts in owning one.

Been there once, got followed from isle to isle as the old guy played with the inventory, walked out and have never been back as he certainly wasn't making me feel welcome. That was many years ago too, surprised he's still around!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

I go periodically. What I'm looking for are decent deals on cases of remanufactured practice rnds. I usually find something I can use and often some piece of gear or a box of defensive rnds.
I really miss the old, legal, F to F trading and buying/selling at gun shows!

Around 2 1/2 years ago, I picked up a Rossi model 92 lever action in 480 Ruger. Paid $410 out the door and it's been a great rifle. I cast and load my own 390 grain flat points and can carry eleven in the rifle. Wonderful bear medicine. I've heard that Rossi only made 100 of the 480R caliber M92 rifles which means I'm quite fortunate to have one.

Much like the Oregon lottery, PDX gun shows should be played for entertainment value only.

My buddy did however find a clean Ruger LCP for $200 which I thought wasn't too shabby and at a previous show I found one for $235 still in the box with an extra magazine.

Another friend that went with me on Sunday traded a dealer about $40 worth of .22lr for three new S&W SD9VE magazines.

E

I haven't been to a Portland gun show for quite a while, but I brought home my cherished Colt Government Model. I was able to trade of my S&W 500 to the guy and came away very happy. The only downer is that's also the longest I've ever waited for a background check.
The time after that I picked up a Leupold VXII 3-9x40 for a very reasonable price.
There are gems to be found among all of the"schtuff".

As a knife guy I am usually able to find a used knife or two that tickles my fancy. After moving to Corvallis I have not been to a Portland show. The Albany and Rickreall shows are much better with a $5 entry and free parking.

There used to be a guy there who had a hookup with the TSA and would buy in bulk the items they collected from travelers who didn't want to mail or check those items not allowed on a commercial flight: specifically knives/multi-tools.

I bought a few Swiss-tool multitools from him for $10 each and swiss army knives for $5 each. A fantastic bargain!

I've bought a used pistol for about $100 less then Id have valued it - once out of a dozen times going.

A box of low power .38pl for my great grandfathers revolver.

A few small things of tanerite (waste of cash)

And I thinks that's all I've walked away with.

I share most of the disillusionment of gun shows alluded to here. However I actually found this last one quite reasonable. larger than I expected.
There were deals to be had on a variety of non gun items. I found a couple elusive mags @ 8 (after market) , RCBS: new or unused; lube pad @ 5 , new primer tray @ 2 , new 6.5 x55 swede 3 die set @25.
2 boxes of 9mm ammo 50 count (brazil) @ 10 ea. and though I didn't buy any, even the price of ammo cans were down to 12 bucks.
Guns though, not so much.
But then, I haven't gone to a movie in over 20 years so this is my entertainment, and actually cheaper I'm told. I find the whole experience very entertaining. It's amazing how many "experts":s0114: are contained within those halls as I listen in to them jaw while I peruse the tables.

For you guys who never go to gun shows, I'd still recommend going to the big summer show that Oregon Arms Collectors puts on

<broken link removed>

Now you will probably only see a handful of modern guns at that show. You will see more black powder guns than smokeless powder guns. You will see more blunderbuss's than any other gun show :)

But they have actual displays of historical guns in addition to the vender tables. Stuff that's not for sale and museum quality. I think the last one had a collection of mint colt 1911's from WWII.

There wasnt one gun that I could actually afford at that show. $7000+ mint collector guns and what not

But you get an actual show out of the $6 admission price.

Most of the time, there isn't anything there that I can't buy for the same price at the LGS. BUT I have had a needle in the haystack times.

The best deal was a BNIB HK USP 45 Tactical with complete factory soft case for $500.
A few really good ammo deals where vendors had made pricing mistakes.

Ive been there 2 times, that was enough to realize there was NO deal..
for some of us if you go 12 times & get a $100 pistol(as posted above) well that pistol really cost you 4 or 5 times the amount....could have purchased something you really wanted NEW

I support my local gun shop

Have not been for 3 years or so, but the wife and I really enjoyed our last trip. Saw a bunch of friends, bought some ammo, and got a great price on a Spikes lower and full LPK and stock kit from Stoner Arms. BGC went very fast, and had a great time fellow shipping with like minded folks. Had lunch with a few really nice folks who we just happen to sit down with and chatted it up. Walked around with Rob Heller for almost an hour looking at a bunch of different booths. Over all a great time.

When I go, which is rare, I always get stuck next to some guy that has zero belief in underarm deodorant or has realized the benefit of the occasional shower.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top