JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let's see, the 80's:

Handguns:
Browning Hi-Power (9mm)
Beretta 84FS Nickel .380
Colt Mustang PocketLite .380
S&W Model 28 6" .357
S&W K-22 6"
Taurus Model 85 2" .38 Special
S&W 745 IPSC 10th Anniversary Edition
Springfield Armory 1911A1 basic GI model w/BoMars

Shotguns:
Franchi Sporting O/U (forget exact model)

Rifles:
Marlin Model 60 bolt action .22 LR (Tube fed)

So many great guns have passed through my hands, no I'm saddened thinking about it...

I have owned a Colt (slab-side lower, A-1 rear sight with A2 brass deflector) AR15A2 HBAR since '87. (Don't have photos of it on my phone ATM)

I have owned this very (Italian made) 92F since '88
E07DA255-5F35-499D-8666-B9CD4D477C85.jpeg

And this very M500 since '89 (didn't have the bayonet mod until a few years ago)
2FAB6E41-3663-4DD0-B89F-66098589EFE1.jpeg

I'm glad none of this kit has any gray hair showing.... :D

Last Edited:
I was invading Panama in 1989...
Well not just by myself...I had a little bit of help....:D
Andy

The eldest brother in my family was also there in the invasion of Panama. I was still in grammar school, but I did serve as an altar boy during the mass in which we prayed for his protection, so in my child mind I was helping with enlisting angelic backup.

Last Edited:
Grand Dad did have a pretty good supply put up, mostly surplus Garands amd 1903s, and a couple of 1911-A1s partly because he trusted them implicitly, and partially because they were cheap and plentiful, and surplus ammo was cheap and available in bulk! He also had several WW-2 G.I. issue mess kits, and canteens, plus all sorts of other mil surplus gear including fronteering tools and such, his sound reasoning was: It was good enough to drive the Nazis out of Europe with, it should still be good enough now! He and Grandmom put up a metric sh!t ton of food amd canned goods, and they had a pair of generators all fueled and ready to go!
I and my brothers and cousisn split it all up after The Grand parents passed! Only piece I really really wanted was the 46 Jeep that my oldest cousin got! He still has it, otherwise I would have choked the sh!t out of him for getting rid of it! Now i got my own WW-2 Jeep, but still.......

My Colt series '70 in .45acp...And My 870 Wingmaster in 12 gauge...
Wait...that is pretty much what I would choose today as well...Hmmmmm....:D
Andy
Same same (among some others like a Python).. what is different is the 5 minis I had during the '80's went down the river, traded out for M1A, FALs and a custom built H&K 91...
The series 70 and 870's are nigh irreplaceable in any self-respecting "armory" IMO and have carried both on duty...!

Well, in spite of technology constantly advancing and leading us to new heights, not much in that way has happened for firearms. Not in any basic way. Lots more goodies that you can bolt and clamp on, but as one example, the Colt SP-1 of the 80's pretty much did the same thing that the vast array of AR platforms do today. Another example, more people are nuts about 1911's than ever.

Technology. The Dardick pistol that fired projectiles from Trounds hasn't moved forward. The Gyrojet from the 1960's never went anywhere. A Gene Roddenberry ray gun hasn't come out yet. I'd like a laser pistol to carry in a holster, haven't found one yet. I'm sure experimental weapons labs work on this stuff but so far, nothing much new for consumers.

Sonic or microwave weapons may show some promise but they have a long way to go before being scaled down to holster size. And you have to wonder would these have a timely capability of incapacitation for self defense. Plasma rifle, not yet.

Ammo. Remington proposed a rifle that used an electronic trigger and ignition system, called EtronX. I don't know what happened to that one. Caseless ammo technology has been around for a while but after extensive testing, it never fully proved itself. The Germans took the idea farthest with an H&K rifle. Scaled up in size, the 152mm gun in the M551 Sheridan tank used caseless ammo which didn't work out.

Polymer cased ammunition may be making some headway but not that many consumers see. Many years ago, I used to see plastic .223 cases on the ground but not lately. There are still companies making it, maybe more for the military market. Polymer cartridge case construction still involves a metal head where the primer seats and pressure is concentrated.

I'm pretty confident that my supply of brass, bullets, primers and powder won't be obsolete any time soon. Same kind of stuff I had in the 80's. Sigh. I guess we'll just have to be patient a while longer.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top