1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

You want HOW MUCH for your AK?!?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by KTM530XCW, Feb 10, 2012.

1. KTM530XCW

KTM530XCW Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

So I can't help but to notice an upward trend in AK prices and a drop in AR prices.

Seems like in the past year, the cost of AK's have gone up about 30% across the board. From WASR-10's to the top end ones.

At the same time, AR prices have been steadily dropping (which makes sense due to how much they jumped in 2008/2009.

Can someone explain why this is? What am I not understanding here? Has the supply of AK's been shut off? Have they somehow become much more accurate in the past year?

I figure if it was due to politics, then AR's would be skyrocketing too... as well as SKS's, but that's just not the case.
    mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  2. wombat

wombat Kirkland, WA Member

... cost more to import given the weak US dollar?
    Or, the buy gun rush before politics clamps down?

Or, there is no competition in the market for something as rugged and reliable (hey AR fans, not picking on you, just an observation ok?).
    Or, an AK74 in this economy, is a better SHTF rifle?

Yes, stirring the pot.

When the stock market starts to report the daily value of an AK, is it time to get out of Dodge (or maybe get to?)

Maybe someone on this forum has the real deal, rather than my idle speculations and observations.
    Anyone a member of AK47.net? What are they saying?

Again AR people - nothing's wrong with the AR, just an observation as to why the heck AK prices are indeed going up.
    EMP9596 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

$600 for a Romanian ak...riiiight. I've always wanted an AK, but not til they go back to the $300-350 range. Its stamped steel & marginal barrel material. Made by kids.
    KTM530XCW, Redcap, numbnutz and 3 others like this.
  4. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

In my opinion(all of what I am about to say in only my opinion BTW), there hasn't been much in the way of kits available lately. If you can buy a kit, barrel, receiver, and 922R parts for $300-$400 then building makes more sense than buying off the shelf if your handy or a DIYer. I believe there just hasn't been the quantity of kits coming into the country that there once was. The AKs you buy off the shelf are either imported in a "sporting configuration" and modified, or built from kits. IO supposedly makes an AK made entirely of US parts, but thats the only one not imported. So less kits coming in, higher prices, more kits lower prices. AKs also got popular after Hurricane Katrina, then more so with the 08 election. So that popularity with the decrease in quantity...yada...yada...yada
  5. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

The AK accuracy myth is as silly as the AR-jams-each-time-its-fired myth. A Norinco MAK90, with a heavier barrel, will not "warp" under heat as fast as a standard AK barrel. The accuracy issues come from folks that bump-fire 3 consecutive mags, then wonder why they can't put together a respectable grouping. The bullets need to hit a head at 100 yards and a torso at 200. I don't understand the need for MOA from an assault rifle. I have bolt guns for that. The AK is a more rugged platform, fires a heavier bullet and with a small supply of FMJ, HP and most importantly, SP ammo your AK becomes a people killing/deer killing survival rifle that will not break down on you. My opinion, of course. Kip.
  6. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

eganx-Century now makes the Centurion. All US parts. Though assault rifles in general went crazy before the '08 election, I remember more of a rush on AR's. The prices on AR's went throught the roof. Of course, the price of everything went through the roof back then. Kip
  7. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

Kits have dried up and the ones being currently imported as whole rifles have to have work done to them to be made usable.
  8. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough RIP City! Well-Known Member

Thank you for pointing this out; I honestly have been oblivious as i've been so busy with work lately and rarely have time for this forum. During last summer, I found WASR's going for $350-450tops all day. Heck, last summer, Drako's were being sold brand new for as low as $375 and now it seems the price has gone up with the demand as well.I've owned a few WASR's and never had problems with any but I love my Mak90 and Arsenal SLR95 much more. A lot of my friends give me crap about the AK's because they're harder to control and don't have the cool factor that AR's have (I have a few AR's as well but don't shoot them as much because I hate the maintenance).
  9. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

It's a simple answer really. Whatever gun that I am interested in seems to go up In price when I want to buy them. Conversely the price will drop when I am not looking. I am pretty much cursed. You all should happy that I am not interested in smith and Wesson or else their prices will sky rocket. Lol
  10. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

How can you put price on reliability? lol just kidding. Well I am sure they see people buying AKs left and right so they are like OH CRAP LETS MAKE MORE MONEY OFF THEM. I think now days $450 to $550 is a decent price for a nice AK. I personally wouldn't want to pay over $350 for any WASR...... food used to be cheaper too you know. The value of the dollar has something to do with it IMO also. Now AKs like Arsenals.... a little too rich for my blood but still cheaper when compared to a poly tech lol. I have one AK47 and she is the love of my life.... now I can have a few AR girlfriends on the side lol.